FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Baggage still missing - what options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/716754-baggage-still-missing-what-options.html)

aidanc Jul 21, 2007 11:17 am

Baggage still missing - what options?

Hi,

My suitcase did not arrive on my flight to CPH last night. No word on what happened, and no updated status on the baggage tracking website. It's almost 24 hours now. Could be 48 hours or longer before I see it!

Apart from getting the bag back to me eventually, what other responsibilities does SAS have? How long to get them to come through...?

Thanks

Aidan

iwillflytheworld Jul 21, 2007 1:58 pm

I'm not very familiar with EU rules, but I know the following: keep all receipts for any items you were/are forced to buy due to the missing baggage. Then within 21 days of getting back your bags, you have to submit a formal claim (a form may be available online). You can submit the claim either to the airline you have a contract with, or the one actually operating the flight.

But it's unclear to me what are they required to reimburse you for, unless the bag is completely lost (which is very unusual). Some airlines will offer to pay 50% of the costs you had to incur, using the rationale that you're keeping that stuff for you anyway (only in case the baggage is missing at your destination, not at your home airport). In any case, you can expect quite a fight for any sort of compensation...

aidanc Jul 22, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld (Post 8095982)
You can submit the claim either to the airline you have a contract with, or the one actually operating the flight.

But it's unclear to me what are they required to reimburse you for...

Yes, that was really the question, what are they required to reimburse me for? At this stage, 36 hours later, there has been no update on the SITA baggage tracking website.

When I call SAS baggage handling, the message in Danish and English just points me to the SAS web-site. I called the sales and support number, and all they gave me was the same information as the website and the number for the baggage handling at Dublin. Sky Handling Partner at Dublin also have a message to contact them by email.

Is it ever possible to talk to a human about this?

Thanks,

Aidan

PS - Off to get some clothes later in Gotenburg before heading off on the next leg of the family holiday.

derpelikan Jul 22, 2007 8:06 am

:)

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...timate+baggage

here you go

the procedure is the same with SAS.

you can buy things up to 2400euro , SAS will pay you back 1000 XDR which is around 1100 - 1250 Euro.

go to the link of the XDR and check the XDR rate of the arrival date.

than you know how much money you get.

dp

derpelikan Jul 22, 2007 8:08 am

half

SAS will reimburse you half of the price you paid.

usually you can than keep the goods.

if you dont want to keep the goods you can get the 1000xDr from sas but have to give the things to sAS.

dp

aidanc Jul 23, 2007 4:20 am

Hi again,

Well, no news (after 2.5 days), but I found this SAS link.

http://www.flysas.com/upload/Global/...uppdaterad.pdf

Aidan

derpelikan Jul 26, 2007 7:09 pm

well

Originally Posted by aidanc (Post 8102249)
Hi again,

http://www.flysas.com/upload/Global/...uppdaterad.pdf

Aidan

it just says something about the immdiate compensation of 100usd. this is usually compensation you can directly get without any receipts.

anyway, if baggage is delaeyed even for 1hour, you can go and buy a 1000usd suit if you need it for a meeting.

you dont have to wait any time frame, the airline cant make up their own rules.

dp

aidanc Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm

Baggage back after 11 days!

Originally Posted by aidanc (Post 8102249)

So finally, I collected by baggage when I returned to Dublin today. The tale goes as follows:

20th July - Baggage not loaded in DUB, claim opened in CPH
22nd July - Baggage flys to CPH from DUB
23rd July - Finally spoke to a human at the call-centre in CPH after 25 minutes on hold. Told bag is "probably" in CPH, but will be a day or two more before they find it in the chaos there.
26th July - Call about lunchtime from SAS to say they have my bag in CPH, and where would I like it sent. I'm in deepest Varmland in Sweden, and moving around a bit with friends. "Send it back to Dublin, I'll collect it on Monday" I tell 'em.

I'm not too happy that it took 6 days for my bag to make it to CPH. Will be writing to SAS to see what we can agree.

Thanks,

Aidan

SK_RSJ Jul 31, 2007 8:18 am

Well, glad they found your bag. Here is another one. I have this piece of luggage that has not been found, and now the flight was 12 days ago, JK MAD-ARN. The CI agent (idiot) managed to forward the bag on the belt without attaching the destination tag. (Previously I have been upset when they forget the Priority tag...)
According to ARN baggage service (SK) they havn´t even found the bag at MAD as of yet.
Anyone that has any idea of how to deal with JK? I can´t even get to them on the phone, nor will they answer e-mail.
I was on 117 ticket stock so I guess SK has some kind of responsability?
On a side note I talked to a hillarious SK agent at ARN who actually adviced me to travel Sterling (!) in the future as JK is such a bad airline. :eek: :D

cph_flyer Jul 31, 2007 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ (Post 8149129)
Well, glad they found your bag. Here is another one. I have this piece of luggage that has not been found, and now the flight was 12 days ago, JK MAD-ARN.

Spanair seems to have made a mess of bagage handling this summer:

http://borsen.dk/rejser/nyhed/113099/

Littman Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Lost bag

I just lost 1 or 4 bags on a direct flight from Newark USA to Copenhagen. I reported it directly to the baggage claims desk. I told them where I would be and how to contact me including my Swedish telephone number. I explained that I was going to Sweden for a funeral with my family and my wifes and my suit was in the lost bag. They told us that the reimbursement was very low and not worth the paper work. I rented a suit and my wife bought clothing. They told us that we would likely receive our bag on the next flight and they would arrange for it to be diverted to a local Swedish airport which was closer to where we were staying. They told us the best way to track the progress would be to use the online baggage tracking option on their website. We told them that we would be returning to the US after 5 days.

I checked the website everyday and it only stated that they were still trying to locate the bag. The night prior to leaving I updated my info and asked for them just to send it back to the US. I tried several times to call and was on hold for at least an hour once. The telephone message instructed me to use the online option.

The morning of my departure back to the US, my son called me from the US to tell me that they had found a bag and it would be delivered today. I called SAS in Copenhagen and after a prolonged hold told to call the local SAS office at the local airport. I called them and I was told that the bag was out for delivery and would be delivered sometime today. I explained that I would be leaving today. The SAS representative did call the truck driver and he did deliver it first thing in the morning.

After reading this website and this thread, I did go to the baggage claim office in Copenhagen with my receipts and they did reimburse us $100 X 2 =$200.

I have never lost a bag before with the multiple times that I have flown with SAS. I do accept that bags get lost from time to time. I felt that there was overall poor communication. The baggage claim web feature would be great if it was updated with timely information, something like FedEx does. My info on SAS website still reads "looking for the bag"

sidripley Aug 7, 2007 8:22 am

I was so nice and they didn't even try

On 13 July I watched from my seat on the SAS Paris to CPH flight as they tried and tried to get the cargo on the plane (that was overbooked...offering 400 Euros if you went to Oslo first then CPH). Finally, with cargo stored they raced to get some luggage on. Mine did not make it and was told at CPH after an hour wait, that Paris would not even be able to scan bags for a few days. Back to the airport I went the next day (per Marriott recomendation) and no luck. Then a day spent shopping for junk clothes from H&M etc. to wear on my fantasy 8 day cruise...all the while saying "these things happen" "it will all me made ok by the good people at SAS later". Well, I guess they found the bag, sent it to Estonia the day before I got there (great) but then sent it to the ship after it had set sail (not good). I had told CPH to have bag sent home to Chicago ORD if it did not make it to Estonia but now the bag was on a mission.....get me lost again it said (I guess) so it went to Helsinki on Finn Air then maybe to Stockholm on Finn Air or JFK. Bag gone. Nice people (when you could talk to them) in baggage services could no longer help...now it's time for Customer Relations in Lyndhurst, NJ. Well, it is obviously there job to make the actual loss of the bag seem like the fun part because I have been barked at, given wrong phone numbers and made to feel like I am stupid and a liar. Anyone have a name of someone at SAS who communicates reasonably with a heretofore nice, pleasant, Star Alliance frequent flyer?