Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Rumour: US Airways starting OSL-PHL next summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Hey all

US Airways has announced they will start 2 new European destinations next years. Rumour says one of them will be OSL

They are very welcome and with these numbers, I don't blame them. OSL is the second largest airport in Scandinavia:

September 2006
1. København - Kastrup 1.926.536 +1.0%
2. Oslo - Gardermoen 1.657.431 +10.9%
3. Stockholm - Arlanda 1.616.370 -1.0%

Year to date 2006
1. København - Kastrup 15.935.906 +5.1%
2. Oslo - Gardermoen 13.442.190 +12.2%
3. Stockholm - Arlanda 13.233.777 +3.0%

I guess the only one who doesn’t read these numbers is SAS Intercont...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I welcome more options from Scandinavia to the US ... even if it's not on my first choice of carrier. At least, unlike with CO, I'll get lounge access when flying US coach out of OSL like US provides at ARN.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
And the rumour is that US will continue year round from ARN following next summers schedule.

SK and others get really good passenger statistics from the various airport authorities and do a lot of market research. Of course huge proportions of all three airports numbers are domestic and inter-Scandinavia.

I think the competitive problem for SK at OSL has been the loss of customers to BA and KL and secondarily to AF and LH and LX among others. It would be hard and expensive to get them back.

The American carriers are really benefiting from European taxes at AMS, LHR and FRA though and the low fares you see are actually higher as a greater percentage of the total cost of tickets with EU carriers is taxes at the European connection point that lowers the cost on these direct flights.

The cruise market is a major factor for the success of seasonal routes to Scandinavia as well as ships carrying 1000-2400 passengers now traffic the region each filling several aircraft over the Atlantic.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I welcome more options from Scandinavia to the US ... even if it's not on my first choice of carrier. At least, unlike with CO, I'll get lounge access when flying US coach out of OSL like US provides at ARN.
While US is certainly not my favorite carrier I have been forced to choose them several times now as I can find fares that give 100% in economy.

I like that they give minimum miles of 600 and have gained by taking short hops to DCA or BWI on the ends of my TAs.

I have started declining meal though and just eat at the great US International departure lounge at PHL.

I wonder if SK OSL ground will decline them as they said they did at ARN stating that they could not handle extra traffic at that key departure time and US had to turn to Novia as agent.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: SK
Originally Posted by MADflyer
While US is certainly not my favorite carrier I have been forced to choose them several times now as I can find fares that give 100% in economy.

I like that they give minimum miles of 600 and have gained by taking short hops to DCA or BWI on the ends of my TAs.

I have started declining meal though and just eat at the great US International departure lounge at PHL.

I wonder if SK OSL ground will decline them as they said they did at ARN stating that they could not handle extra traffic at that key departure time and US had to turn to Novia as agent.
Cant understand that SAS Ground Services (SGS) will decline any business that generates cash, I belive that Nova was the cheapest one and that is the only reason for US to choose them over SGS.
Would be great to see US at OSL if they come and i belive that SGS will be the chosen handlingagent over the other 3.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Redcap
Cant understand that SAS Ground Services (SGS) will decline any business that generates cash, I belive that Nova was the cheapest one and that is the only reason for US to choose them over SGS.
Would be great to see US at OSL if they come and i belive that SGS will be the chosen handlingagent over the other 3.
Who else are available? There is Servisair, which has been hard-cut after being dropped by Norwegian, and then there is NorthPort which was just founded, and is generally making a bit of a mess.

Regardless, since the SAS lounges in OSL are proper SK lounges (not rental) they will have to allow all *G pax travelling on US.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by larsll
Who else are available? There is Servisair, which has been hard-cut after being dropped by Norwegian, and then there is NorthPort which was just founded, and is generally making a bit of a mess.

Regardless, since the SAS lounges in OSL are proper SK lounges (not rental) they will have to allow all *G pax travelling on US.
My guess is Servisair. Like you said, they just lost DY so they should have available capacity
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by larsll
Lounge access was granted to *G and US C pax and *G and even *S were allowed to use the C Novia US check-in line. Full *G benefits no matter who is the agent.

Flights to USA require dedicated check-in minimum 3 stations and SK ARN is said to have declined US as they have their own flights and then TG pulls into same gate just as US departs.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Lounge access was granted to *G and US C pax and *G and even *S were allowed to use the C Novia US check-in line. Full *G benefits no matter who is the agent.

Flights to USA require dedicated check-in minimum 3 stations and SK ARN is said to have declined US as they have their own flights and then TG pulls into same gate just as US departs.
Yes, of course SK has to follow the *A contract and give lounge access...

But I think SK is not very happy with the US move on Scandinavia, that's why they didn't offer US handling at SK and that's why they won't at OSL.

IMO, SK has just themselves to blame. The market is there, but they don't do anything about it, of course others will move in
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tommy777
Yes, of course SK has to follow the *A contract and give lounge access...

But I think SK is not very happy with the US move on Scandinavia, that's why they didn't offer US handling at SK and that's why they won't at OSL.

IMO, SK has just themselves to blame. The market is there, but they don't do anything about it, of course others will move in
Exactly.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:59 pm

The seasonal market is definately there. It is much easier for carriers running away from LCCs in their home market to take the plunge for a new route.

If SK was to start flying from OSL they would have to do it with serious intentions of having it as a year round routing.

I do not think they will ever do it as the customer base is so price sensitive and willing to jump over to KL or BA for an easy connection if the price is right. Norway is a huge feeder market for both of those carriers.

If SK entered the market the competition would use price and make the route unprofitable for SK. I think the cargo market is very price sensative as well.

On the otherhand the huge American market is very willing to connect to a direct flight to Scandinavia but that market is only sufficiently sizeable seasonally.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I do not think they will ever do it as the customer base is so price sensitive and willing to jump over to KL or BA for an easy connection if the price is right. Norway is a huge feeder market for both of those carriers.
Add LH to that list. FRA and MUC flights are constantly full with connecting pax, and this Monday I got BN89 on the morning FRA-OSL, even when checking in at 10pm...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy777
OSL is the second largest airport in Scandinavia:

September 2006
1. København - Kastrup 1.926.536 +1.0%
2. Oslo - Gardermoen 1.657.431 +10.9%
3. Stockholm - Arlanda 1.616.370 -1.0%

Year to date 2006
1. København - Kastrup 15.935.906 +5.1%
2. Oslo - Gardermoen 13.442.190 +12.2%
3. Stockholm - Arlanda 13.233.777 +3.0%
Just a note: In OSL's case the statistics are a little misleading, half of OSL passangers come from domestic flights.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harri
Just a note: In OSL's case the statistics are a little misleading, half of OSL passangers come from domestic flights.
All of the growth you see at OSL is international traffic, and OSL has the largest growth by far. Neither DY or SK has opened any new domestic routes from OSL in 2006, the frequency to various domestic destinations from OSL is about the same
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:37 am

Just a bit of stats here (all taken of the airports homepages):

Just at bit of stats:

OSL
September to date OSL had 7.2m international pax (14.6% growth YoY) and 6.3m domestic pax (9.5% YoY growth). Total is 13.4m pax (10.9% growth YoY)

CPH
September to date CPH had 14.6m international pax (4.6% growth YoY) and 1.3m domestic pax (10.8% YoY growth). Total is 15.9m pax (5.1% growth YoY)

ARN
September to date ARN had 9.3m international pax (9% growth YoY) and 3.8m domestic pax (-8% YoY growth). Total is 13.2m pax (3.5% growth YoY)

By number of passengers CPH is the largest airport both in total passengers and (by far) in international passengers (which is the interesting part in this context).

ARN & OSL are practically on par in terms of total passengers. However, OSL is still (by far) the smallest airport of the three in terms of international passengers – although growing very fast indeed both in domestic and international traffic. This is of course makes OSL interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.