Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

OS reintroduces free food, when will SK follow suit?

OS reintroduces free food, when will SK follow suit?

Old Jul 28, 06, 3:45 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
But what we need is to bring some class back to SAS, BMi et al. Good old Austrain for having the balls to admit they made a mistake and take action to rectify it.

I had hoped when the new Chairman took over that a change would take place at SAS too. And yet, now they are starting to limit alcohol in Y on long haul.

The problem is this. SAS is never cheaper than Norwegian Go on my LHR OSL route. The only benefit is 25% of the miles flown which keeps me in EBG for lounge access. BA is routinely cheaper if booked two weeks in advance and that comes with all the bells and whistles. Yet for some unexplained reason I actually like SAS. I just feel she's like a daughter who was the belle of the ball at a coming out party, everybody wanted to be her, but she left marraige too late and has now gone to seed. With a bit of tender love and care she could become a foxy vixen in middle age and turn heads again.
Old Jul 28, 06, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jacob_m
It is a bit better nowadays though, I even got a twix bar on my last LH flight last week...
And on some flights they have stopped using the silly small plastic cups for coffee/tea and instead serves in the same "mug-style" cups as SK does.
Old Jul 28, 06, 4:38 am

Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Pteropous
Don't they serve free food also on Germany an Zurich routes? At least that was the 'correction' to the original announcenent they msade about the cafe1 'enhancement'. So KF only has P-class on routes meant mainly for tourists, kind of taking them in line with AY 'leisure flights' (in which 'leisure' is a rather questionable attribute...)
Doesn't AY have free food also on 'leisure' flights?

Free food on OS would certainly be welcome, especially on the long routes from/to Scandinavia. But why only from Oct '07? Somehow that timetable makes me wonder will it ever really happen. I would certainly not choose OS in the meantime because of this promise!

ps. actually I just read the original article in German and I think you could interpret it also so that free food would start already this October

Last edited by tsastor; Jul 28, 06 at 5:02 am Reason: possible misunderstanding
Old Jul 28, 06, 6:17 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Originally Posted by tsastor
Doesn't AY have free food also on 'leisure' flights?
Right, I had forgotten that, since I refuse to take those 757 with 29" pitch (environmentally friendly winglets or not). Well, I don't really have any intention to take a tour organiser trip either, which is where virtually all leisure flight seats are filled in. But they do charge for alcoholic beverages, don't they?

Actually, next week I'm taking my first AY flight for long time. Just a return to Paris, but I'm kind of interested to see whether the Y service makes a big difference to the non-service I've enjoyed with SK-P lately, or to the rather dry sandwitches with KF (though KF cabin crew always serves wine with smile.)
Old Jul 28, 06, 1:21 pm

Programs: SK*B, M&M
I don´t think SK will follow with complimentary food in Economy. SK is the only airline with three classes compared to OS and LX returned to free inflight catering. (AF still have 3 classes)

When the news is coming for the new inflight concept during autumn I think the bookingclasses are rearranged..so not only Y,S,B will be seated in Economy Flex. I hope the non-alco incl coffee/tea will be complimentary.

Flying STO-FRA with a Full Fare booked in "Y" I only get a sandwich on LH
but a cold meal on SK.

Buying a W-class on LH, thousands of SEK lower than "Y", I get the same sandwich as the fullfare "Y" psgr...but on SK I have to pay.

What´s fair?
Old Jul 28, 06, 2:32 pm
esv

Originally Posted by Intra
When the news is coming for the new inflight concept during autumn I think the bookingclasses are rearranged..so not only Y,S,B will be seated in Economy Flex.
That would be an excellent idea (in fact, this was exactly what we suggested to SAS about a year ago).
but a cold meal on SK.
Don't forget LH's new mini Twix bar

Buying a W-class on LH, thousands of SEK lower than "Y", I get the same sandwich as the fullfare "Y" psgr...but on SK I have to pay.

What´s fair?
It's exactly the same problem on SK, only worse: you can pay 1100 EUR for an E-class return ticket DUS-ARN (a fare that would buy business class on most intra-European routes), and you still have to pay for your water just like someone who paid 200 EUR for the same trip. That is definitely not fair.
Old Jul 29, 06, 2:35 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Intra
but a cold meal on SK.

What´s fair?
the only fair solution is to have a good service in all classes. The difference in the price is justified by time of booking, flexibility required etc... exacly like AF, no need to be in Y or C to get a good service, M service is excellent these days.

is it fair that business full fare travellers pay for the food/service of the leisure el cheapo traveller? IT IS ! full fare travellers like to choose direct flights at the last minute, take a later flight in case a meeting lasts longer etc... but can you fill up many flights a day with only business travellers? usually no! airlines ensure a minimum revenue per flight by selling many cheap seats for tourists, families, students, with special conditions, making the flight if not profitable, not too much in deficit... and the business traveller is happy to find the flight he wants, thanks to the load in eco class, at the last minute.

Look how competition on leisure travellers on ARN CDG route affected business travellers. There used to be 10 direct flights a day on SK/AF 5 years ago... there are only 3 AF and 2 SK now, less to choose from, thanks to ryanair that is operating 2 flights a day, full of tourists.

Instead of focusing on what is fair and unfair (a very scandinavian way of thinking, after my experience...) perhaps we should think more about what matters for each class and how to get it. If you want frequent flights to main destinations, you need to attract many tourists and preserve business revenue... selling easy one way tickets is perhaps the worse thing SAS did in the past: business travellers can get cheap ticket => the average pax needs to pay more to compensate. It becomes too expensive, they fly less or elsewise, SAS needs to reduce capacity, add to the fact that P-class pax are treated like cattle with few points for many booking classes: there is not much loyalty left, we fly SAS because we have to, explaining certainly, at least partly, the problems of SAS!

Search this Thread