Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS / *A refuses responsibility. Rejected in Bali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G

I have a big case about my brother and I am no lawyer.

He was going on a 2 week trip to Bali (Indonesia) with two friends. Booked via a travel agency (Hotel+Flight).
His itinerary was OSL-ARN (SK) ARN-BKK-DPS (TG) and return.

He left his original passport at home (BGO) and had an emergency passport issued on July 6 before departure on July 7.
He went thru check-in procedure at OSL with SK checked all the way thru, with luggage, to DPS (Denpasar Bali) on behalf of TG.
No problems occured at passport control in ARN, BKK, any boarding, check-in - but in DPS, he was refused entry because his passport was invalid.
Reason was: Date of Issue: July 6 2006. Date of Expiry: March 6 2006
He was then sent back to OSL with TG and SK.

Who is to blame? Who may give compensation? Will the rest of the ticket be voided? How would you proceed with this case?

Should this thread be moved to another forum?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Is it not the Airlines responsibility to check that the passenger has the proper identification upon check-in? This was obviously not done by SK in Oslo.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Checking of valid documentation is the passenger's responsibility. Airlines will see if the passport is valid for travel. It is not up to them to check every single detail. Obviously the passport agency made the mistake of having a expiry date before the issuing date.

So blame the passport agency..,. or yourself for not checking.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I agree it doesn't seem to be an airline problem and yes ticket will be wasted. Need to take it up with the passport issuer. Your brother's travel insurance possibly may cover any additional costs incurred.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I agree it doesn't seem to be an airline problem and yes ticket will be wasted. Need to take it up with the passport issuer. Your brother's travel insurance possibly may cover any additional costs incurred.
I doubt travel insurer will compensate in this case- one is supposed to check the passport and get any mistakes corrected. No harm in trying though.
SK should have denied boarding in OSL, but knowing how the SK check in desks in OSL work, I am would be surprised if they did
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
One option would have been to fly back only to BKK. Then go through immigration in BKK, claiming that your passport has been lost/stolen. These guys have dealt with this before... Get to the Norwegian Embassy and get a new passportt there and fly back to DPS.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:43 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
The passport must be the travellers responsibility even though it must feel so horrible to get turned down and fly all the way back to OSL again.

Surely they checked the passport at check-in but they shouldnt´t be held responsible for a mistake that the passport police made in error.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:08 am

Programs: SK
Originally Posted by LonLH
SK should have denied boarding in OSL, but knowing how the SK check in desks in OSL work, I am would be surprised if they did
Word

SK checkin quality are not the best anymore. Quantity before Quality. Sad to say...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:15 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unlike the OP's tale of woe, my story is kind of funny. A couple of years ago I had to renew my passport but needed 'one last trip'. I expected to be back home about three weeks before the expiration date. I double-checked that none of the countries I was visiting had one of those 'valid for six months' rules and away I went.

Three times, while checking in for flights, the agent said to me 'Oh, your passport is expiring soon'. Yes, yes; I know; thank you. Then, my last stop was in the UK. At that point the passport had about 25 days left. The immigration officer was so bored that he couldn't concentrate. He stamped me in with barely a word and when I looked at the stamp it said: 'Granted leave to remain in the United Kingdom for THREE MONTHS'. Ha ha.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Originally Posted by henry999
He stamped me in with barely a word and when I looked at the stamp it said: 'Granted leave to remain in the United Kingdom for THREE MONTHS'. Ha ha.
It might have been valid, actually, if you just had renewed your passport at the Embassy in UK. At least the visas remain valid even if the passport is replaced with a new one.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by henry999

Three times, while checking in for flights, the agent said to me 'Oh, your passport is expiring soon'. Yes, yes; I know; thank you. Then, my last stop was in the UK. At that point the passport had about 25 days left. The immigration officer was so bored that he couldn't concentrate. He stamped me in with barely a word and when I looked at the stamp it said: 'Granted leave to remain in the United Kingdom for THREE MONTHS'. Ha ha.

cheers,

Henry
The UK officer really must have been dreaming...

EU citizens do not need to get their passport stamped!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The UK officer really must have been dreaming...

EU citizens do not need to get their passport stamped!
Yes, but I'm not an EU citizen.

cheers,

Henry

Last edited by henry999; Jul 10, 2006 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miles4all
One option would have been to fly back only to BKK. Then go through immigration in BKK, claiming that your passport has been lost/stolen. These guys have dealt with this before... Get to the Norwegian Embassy and get a new passportt there and fly back to DPS.
Yes. His option number 1 indeed. Except these people have 4 days of summer holiday/vacation. He was in the middle of this time period.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

So with about NOK 10,000, he is attempting to return tomorrow with 3 separate tickets, God be with him.

How would he proceed to claim the miles (he did not enter any FF program) for the Thai flights?
I think he needs original boarding passes, but for the BKK-ARN segment he was refused a boarding pass with comments: "It's YOU. 54F" And nobody seemed to speak English to help him.

One more thing - the return trip seems to be valid and unused still in SAS' systems.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Too bad.. Shame on SAS for letting him leave OSL

While SK clearly has no responsibility, they do check passports for a reason at OSL. Why? To avoid situations like the one described here. They failed. But they also failed at ARN passport control.

And why didn't they catch it?? My theory: They have "check that it's machine readable for the US" burned into their memory.

I would write SAS a letter and explain what happened. I think he will get some sort of compensation, SAS are pretty good in these situations IME. He made a mistake (or rather the police did), but SAS also did!

Even if he won't get a full refund, he may get a little surprise..

I would also write the police and demand a refund for this HUGE mistake. They are totally responsible and should pay all expences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.