FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   OT: The Norwegian Way (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/575285-ot-norwegian-way.html)

larsll Jul 2, 2006 2:30 pm

OT: The Norwegian Way

There is chaos at CPH today due to overheating with the baggage handling. In the article... DY representative Anne Grete Ellingsen manages to say that:

Informasjonsdirektør i Norwegian Anne Grete Ellingsen sier situasjonen er fortvilet, men kan ikke garantere passasjerer som Tønnessen flyreise hjem i kveld, eller hotellopphold som plaster på såret.
This translates into:

Spokesperson of Norwegian Anne Grete Ellingsen says that the situation is desperate, but she cannot guarantee passengers a flight tonight, nor a hotelroom as a compensation.
Firstly. Hotel rooms are not compensation; rather a EC requirement from airlines that don't know how to sort out their or someone elses mess. It is a price of being in business, and not some sort of act of kindness towards passengers. Secondly. Why not? Is their handling agent in CPH totally useless? Sorting out stranded pax is a handling agent task. If it is not up to it then fire them. Duh.

She then tries to make the passengers use their traveling insurance to cover the cost. Gross. Yes, most insurances does cover this cost, BUT according to EC 2004/261 Article 5 and 9 they should be cared for if they tried to check in before the check-in closing time.

Another lesson in "why not to fly an LCC"...

ksu Jul 2, 2006 3:24 pm

In other words: Ryanair without the self-righteous aggressiveness. But the same lack of concern for their paying customers. But DY has a lot of good-will in the Norwegian market as the underdog and with SKBU's current problems.

berra0619 Jul 2, 2006 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by larsll

Firstly. Hotel rooms are not compensation; rather a EC requirement from airlines that don't know how to sort out their or someone elses mess. It is a price of being in business, and not some sort of act of kindness towards passengers. Secondly. Why not? Is their handling agent in CPH totally useless? Sorting out stranded pax is a handling agent task. If it is not up to it then fire them. Duh.

She then tries to make the passengers use their traveling insurance to cover the cost. Gross. Yes, most insurances does cover this cost, BUT according to EC 2004/261 Article 5 and 9 they should be cared for if they tried to check in before the check-in closing time.

When will people learn that if they fly with a LCC and an unforeseen event occurs, e.g. technical, weather, delays etc, the passengers are definitely left alone by the airline to sort out their own problems. This is the risk one are taking when using LCC's and I beleive most people realize that, but there will always be some individuals who don't understand the conditions of travel when they buy tickets on a "Low Cost Carrier" and therefore are disappointed if they are not treated to their (too high) expectations.

Personally I avoid LCC even for my private travelling. If you have possibilities to book flights in good time, very often the flag carriers have reasonable low prices which often are slightly moore expensive than a LCC ticket and then you have much less problems if anything should occur.

3tflyer Jul 3, 2006 5:31 am

Horror with DY

According this article http://www.t-a.no/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...ETER/107030049 a dissabled women was offerede too piss in a platic bag between Montenegro and TRD with a Norwegian flight.

Paby Jul 4, 2006 4:34 pm

I thought regulations like 261/2004 where cogent for airlines and not optional for them to follow. Can Norwegian, Ryanair and others decline to follow i.e. 261/2004 in their Conditions of Carriage and make their own rules?

larsll Jul 5, 2006 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Paby
I thought regulations like 261/2004 where cogent for airlines and not optional for them to follow. Can Norwegian, Ryanair and others decline to follow i.e. 261/2004 in their Conditions of Carriage and make their own rules?

Legally no, practically yes. Who sues them for a 1000 NOK? Although, for private travellers there is Klagenemd for Rutefly if they don't get what they are entitled to.

tommy777 Jul 5, 2006 6:02 pm

The press has been on DYs side way too long.

I guess since many more Norwegians fly DY these days, there was just a matter of time till situations like these would occur.

It's easy to run a fleet of a few planes, but when you are getting close to 20, it's not as easy anymore...

I predict people will come back to SAS before you know it when they get stranded somewhere and DYs handling agent says "we don't care where you sleep, that's your problem!" (as long as there are no more SAS strikes)

Can't tell you guys how good reading stuff like this makes me feel ^ ^

larsll Jul 9, 2006 10:36 am

Chaos expected at OSL for airlines handled by Servisair

According to Aftenposten chaos is expected at OSL for all non-*A airlines as Servisair is understaffed due to holidays and resignations. Apparently Servisair has lost a large contract and will fire 100 people from October. A lot of these people have already left the company, leaving them seriously understaffed.

Norwegian states that they expect Servisair to deliver according to contract. I wonder what Mr. Kjos feels now. Suddenly he is struggling with problems he claims only big large stupid airlines suffer from... ooops...

tommy777 Jul 11, 2006 1:51 am

Norwegian states that they expect Servisair to deliver according to contract. I wonder what Mr. Kjos feels now. Suddenly he is struggling with problems he claims only big large stupid airlines suffer from... ooops...

He he he, I love it!

larsll Jul 16, 2006 5:23 pm

Here we go again...

After a leased Turkish (!!) MD-80 from World Focus Airlines had an engine blowout in Prague some 400 Norwegian passengers are stranded and left to sort out themselves. Apparently due to the cirisis in Lebanon leasing new aircraft is difficult so one planeload of passengers in Prague are told to book themselves(!!) onto other airlines, whereas they are looking to get a plane down to the people in Split.

Horrible. Amateurs. There are probably several aircraft standing at OSL overnight. Send them down. Cancel some early morning rotations in Norway, rebook passengers to SAS or NSB and bring your folks home... :td:

tommy777 Jul 17, 2006 5:01 am

I saw that mad dog on Friday at OSL. The OSL firedep. was cleaning up a huge fuel mess around the aircraft.

The flight had to be delayed for sure, the operation took forever. They finally pushed it way back to the taxi way, it fired up and took off.

I thought it was a charter flight... But in DYs defense, I have been on random Falcon aircrafts flying both SAS and Sterling, but Turish??

larsll Oct 20, 2006 2:15 am

Potential Strike

The Scandinavian Way is catching up with Norwegian, and the cabin union is threatening with strike due to DY possibly abusing the concept of interns in the air. (Interns gets paid about 1/3 of ordinary salary.)

Possible strike from November 2nd.

http://n24.no/naeringsliv/article1502032.ece