Fast track at OSL

Old Jun 22, 06, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, Marriot Silver
Fast track at OSL

According to n24.no SAS will open a fastrack at security control at OSL - Gardermoen this autumn. Great news! Read this (inNorwegian): http://n24.no/naeringsliv/article1363468.ece ^ ^ ^
Old Jun 22, 06, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am guessing from your post that it might take a long time to clear security in Oslo! What's the line like for departures right now? I will be flying from Oslo to Newark in a few weeks. Do I have to check in well in advance or does the lie move quickly through security?
Old Jun 22, 06, 3:28 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Not too bad...

It usually moves quickly, and until recently I never waited more than one minute to get through. But this spring, the authorities demanded that PCs should be taken out of their carrying cases, and while this was implemented there really were long lines to get through, up to twenty minutes. This is better now, excepting periods for industrial action. The CO-flight leaves after the morning charter rush, and after the "business flight exodus", and well before the afternoon rush, at a rather slow time of day. So any wait more than five minutes at that time would be surprising. (But remember that we tend to carry less cabin luggage in Europe than is usual stateside! )
Old Jun 22, 06, 3:56 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Great! Just great!
Old Jun 22, 06, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the CO flight is perfectly timed. I carry a computer bag and a garment bag; I hope I don't have any problems in Oslo. My hope is that I won't: if the airline is happy to take them, then why should the folks at security worry. (Except for Paris, where they made me check a bag )
Old Jun 22, 06, 4:47 pm

Programs: EBG
Aaaahhh! My prayers are heard!!!!
Old Jun 22, 06, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I am guessing from your post that it might take a long time to clear security in Oslo! What's the line like for departures right now? I will be flying from Oslo to Newark in a few weeks. Do I have to check in well in advance or does the lie move quickly through security?
For a few weeks, many days had long lines. This month the lines have been short/quick to nearly no line/wait whatsoever -- including right before the CO flight.

OSL security doesn't really care about the bags as long as they fit through the X-ray scanner, and from what you posted, you'll be fine if my many experiences flying out of OSL this month are anything to go by.

Are you flying Continental Airlines in coach? I wonder if they'll give SkyTeam ElitePlus holders flying coach lounge access (to the BA lounge which is what CO uses there for that flight) at OSL. At ARN, Continental Airlines doesn't. (Just another reason not to fly a US airline, including CO, out of Europe.)
Old Jun 22, 06, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For a few weeks, many days had long lines. This month the lines have been short/quick to nearly no line/wait whatsoever -- including right before the CO flight.

OSL security doesn't really care about the bags as long as they fit through the X-ray scanner, and from what you posted, you'll be fine if my many experiences flying out of OSL this month are anything to go by.

Are you flying Continental Airlines in coach? I wonder if they'll give SkyTeam ElitePlus holders flying coach lounge access (to the BA lounge which is what CO uses there for that flight) at OSL. At ARN, Continental Airlines doesn't. (Just another reason not to fly a US airline, including CO, out of Europe.)
I am flying BF, so I am sure that they must have some lounge arrangement. Do you know how they handle arrivals? Does Continental partner with a hotel where I can get a shower?
Old Jun 22, 06, 7:03 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I am flying BF, so I am sure that they must have some lounge arrangement. Do you know how they handle arrivals? Does Continental partner with a hotel where I can get a shower?
Continental contracts with the British Airways lounge (essentially together with all non-Star Alliance airlines servicing OSL) which you will find to your left after security. Beware this is before entering the international pier. Once you've entered the international pier you won't get back out, so lounge first, then shopping. The walk from the lounge to the gate (at the end of the international pier) is about 400 meters.

As for hotels for a shower at arrivals; I have no clue. The only really near hotel is the Radisson SAS Airport Hotel Oslo which is just outside arrivals.
Old Jun 22, 06, 7:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

^ GREAT news!! ^
Old Jun 22, 06, 9:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Thanks for the information. It sounds like the CO flight is perfectly timed. I carry a computer bag and a garment bag; I hope I don't have any problems in Oslo. My hope is that I won't: if the airline is happy to take them, then why should the folks at security worry. (Except for Paris, where they made me check a bag )
You'll be fine! I always carry on my computer bag and a 22" roller-board. The security people couldn't care less - in fact I can't remember the last time I actually had to show my boarding pass when passing through security at OSL...
Old Jun 22, 06, 9:33 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
As pointed out by larsll you will get access to the BA lounge when flying BF. However, when flying coach you're out of luck unless you have a PC membership (ST Elite Plus won't get you in).

With regards to an arrivals lounge I'm not sure anymore. Two years ago just after CO started the EWR-OSL flight I was offered arrivals facilities at the Radisson SAS hotel, but on my last two flights in BF they didn't offer an arrival lounge.
Old Jun 22, 06, 9:55 pm

In the same post to which you replied: " the BA lounge which is what CO uses there for that flight". That is, for departures in BF, Continental uses the British Airways lounge that's on the "domestic" side of OSL, which is to the left after you clear security.

I don't know the arrivals situation at OSL for CO BF. (I just head to a friend's residence or the Scandic hotel and check in.) I'm disappointed to hear what CO does in terms of departure lounge access (if any) for SkyTeam ElitePlus flying coach on CO from OSL to EWR -- that is, CO does essentially nothing. Thankfully, the BA Gold comes in use there, but no guests (officially-speaking).

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 22, 06 at 10:01 pm
Old Jun 22, 06, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by larsll
Continental contracts with the British Airways lounge (essentially together with all non-Star Alliance airlines servicing OSL) which you will find to your left after security. Beware this is before entering the international pier. Once you've entered the international pier you won't get back out, so lounge first, then shopping. The walk from the lounge to the gate (at the end of the international pier) is about 400 meters.

As for hotels for a shower at arrivals; I have no clue. The only really near hotel is the Radisson SAS Airport Hotel Oslo which is just outside arrivals.
From the international side, there are ways to get back to the "domestic" side (which is where the BA lounge is located), but that generally involves going landside (by technically clearing customs again) and reclearing security. Definitely not a simple, straightforward way and requires going upstairs/up the elevator at a few select places on the international side of the airport.
Old Jun 22, 06, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by tbogart
You'll be fine! I always carry on my computer bag and a 22" roller-board. The security people couldn't care less - in fact I can't remember the last time I actually had to show my boarding pass when passing through security at OSL...
They don't look at the boarding pass when I clear security there either; but I do have to pull it out after clearing security -- especially since I need to show it to get to the international side.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: