Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Here we go again... SAS to close heavy maintenance base in SVG

Old Jun 5, 06, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle

Seems like there is more fun for SK on the horizon. SAS Technical Services is due to close the 737 heavy maintenance base at Stavanger, formerly the main Braathens maintenance facility.

According to NA24 industry action can be expected.

If they are serious then this might result in a shortage of aircraft when they cannot complete their scheduled maintenance. On the other hand, SK claims 30% underutilization of resources, so they should be able to pick up the slack.
Old Jun 5, 06, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
You bet something is going to happen.
People from Stavanger or basically the city itself has always been pushed and set aside.
Well there is a saying....... IKKJE KDD MED STAVANGER!
or.....DON`T MESS WITH STAVANGER!

You might want to see how this will progress because I reckon a DY ticket might come in handy.
Old Jun 5, 06, 4:32 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
get ready for market economy, Norway... (even though Norway might be the last Sovjet Republic)
Old Jun 5, 06, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by jefi99
even though Norway might be the last Soviet Republic
that was Bjrn Rosengren, was it not?
Old Jun 5, 06, 6:02 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
that was Bjrn Rosengren, was it not?
Indeed it was, after he thought the camera had been switched off.

It just says a bit about the overall intelligence of the Swedish government...
Old Jun 5, 06, 6:12 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by jefi99
get ready for market economy, Norway... (even though Norway might be the last Sovjet Republic)
I think that you find that the ex-BU units that ran parallell til SK-NO actually were fairly well adjusted and generated cash, contrary to SK in general over the last years before it got properly integrated. It has been up and in the news that the SK takeover of BU and the negotiations on the integration was based on a fair amount of lies. The BU staff that then sued SK after that got their day in court and proved that what SK did during the integration and the breaking of promises was tantamount to a buy out of BU to put BU down, not integrate much of it.

Apart from that, the real lesson in market economy may be on SK internally, they seem fully capable of kciking themself repeatedly.

-A
Old Jun 6, 06, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Tor Viking
IKKJE KDD MED STAVANGER!
or.....DON`T MESS WITH STAVANGER!
Didn't the Stavanger-people boycot Pepsi-products 2 years ago when a factory was closed? I reckon this was quite sucessful?
Anyway, sad to hear this for Sola - the once so famous BU airport...
Old Jun 6, 06, 7:18 am

It will be sad to see BTS (Braathens Technical Services) go at SVG. SAS has already decided to close it down, so it will be closed down sooner or later. Latest is BTS will go on strike on Thursday. I think that will only make SAS close them down sooner.

Apparently BTS is the only SAS maintenance facility able to do the D-check on 737 classics. So this services SAS will have to buy from other providers.

The BTS facility had a net profit of 10 million NOK last year on 98,5 MNOK revenues. Not bad at all, but I guess the closure fits better in the SAS economic picture for the future. SAS will have a very hard time convincing the workers and general public of this, and are already getting tons of bad press. In SVG the mayor and other notable figures are rallying to stop BTS closure.

Did I mention I saw a recruitment ad in the the newspaper this weekend for SAS Public Spokesperson? Previous person resigned..
Old Jun 6, 06, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jacob_m
Indeed it was, after he thought the camera had been switched off.

It just says a bit about the overall intelligence of the Swedish government...
Not to talk about the King or Kungen (who signed a memorial platter Knugen)
Old Jun 6, 06, 10:34 am

AFAIK, the base has always been profitable. But to gather all tech on one place makes sense
Old Jun 6, 06, 10:42 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by tommy777
Not to talk about the King or Kungen (who signed a memorial platter Knugen)
Well King Carl Gustaf has dyslexia, so that's a bit different...

But most of the Swedish ministers are just plain stupid.
Like the former Minister of Finance who pressed the alarm button in his house like five times and each time six police cars came because they thought he was in danger. Of course there was nothing...
Then a month later, when he thought the camera has been turned off, he says he thinks the Swedish police is lazy...
Old Jun 6, 06, 7:11 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by view
Did I mention I saw a recruitment ad in the the newspaper this weekend for SAS Public Spokesperson? Previous person resigned..
I would imagine they'd fare better at advertising for M[r]s. Meisingseth's replacement in a BDSM magazine; you'd need to have some dark urges to get into that limelight.

-A
Old Jun 7, 06, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I would imagine they'd fare better at advertising for M[r]s. Meisingseth's replacement in a BDSM magazine; you'd need to have some dark urges to get into that limelight.

-A
Siv deserves a purple heart for her sterling job through all this sh*te.. I'm shure there are not many applicants for her job-.-.

She will be missed

Last edited by tommy777; Jun 12, 06 at 1:59 pm
Old Jun 12, 06, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
In a kind of facinating comment today in Dagbladet the Boeing Technical Director in Europe claims it is unbelievable that someone would close down a 737 Classic heavy maintenance facility in a fast growing market.

I assume that most smaller LCC-style airlines will have to buy such services from the market as it is not their core business to run such a facility.
Old Jun 12, 06, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by larsll
In a kind of facinating comment today in Dagbladet the Boeing Technical Director in Europe claims it is unbelievable that someone would close down a 737 Classic heavy maintenance facility in a fast growing market.

I assume that most smaller LCC-style airlines will have to buy such services from the market as it is not their core business to run such a facility.
I don't know where DY service their 733s, but SVG could be a good alternative. But I think LH Teknik and many others are probably just as competitive as SAS.

I think it's just as important for SAS to focus on being a good airline instead of trying to do business servicing LCCs old 737s

Search this Thread