Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SK A330 - part of wing fell off at IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2006, 11:56 am
Original Poster

airliners.net is discussing a incident with the SAS A330 coming in to IAD yesterday with winglet and part of the wing apparently gone. Picture:

SAS A330 Broken Wing picture

(The aircraft was LN-RKH)

Last edited by SK_RSJ; May 21, 2006 at 11:59 am Reason: added registration
Old May 21, 2006, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Will be interesting to see what the FAA incident report says tomorrow:

http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/a...liminary_data/

This happened on May 19:

It was late out of CPH:

http://wftc2.e-travel.com/pl/availab...E=200605190117

It departed quite late, but was not so late into CPH:
http://wftc2.e-travel.com/pl/availab...E=200605190117

Last edited by oliver2002; May 21, 2006 at 12:30 pm
Old May 21, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL UA
I was on the flight. The pilot hit a light pole in CPH. We were 5 hours late leaving as they had to remove the winglet and patch up something underneath. A passenger pointed out the problem. The pilot wasn't aware he hit it.
Old May 21, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: TK*G
I'm on that plane right now and apparently flying with a missing winglet is not a big deal. I was told that the plane wil burn more fuel since it needs to be trimmed slightly differently, but that there is no speed penalty.

The wing looks "naked" though.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Its kind of cool that we not only had one FT:er on that flight but one more currently on that same plane
Old May 22, 2006, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The pilot didn't notice it?? That's a little worrying......

I have seen a 330 and many UA320s without a winglet in traffic. Not a big deal, just burns more fuel
Old May 24, 2006, 5:41 am

Programs: DL UA
it was a little worrying that he didn't notice that he hit the pole. He was very apologetic though. The Flight Attendant next to me kept saying " this is humiliating. how do you hit a big pole".
Old May 24, 2006, 5:45 am

Programs: DL NW
Seems quite odd. Usually when an incident like this happens, the flight crew is immediately taken out of service and suspended pending investigation. I can't believe they just did a quick repair and sent the plane on its way...they must have at least swapped out the crew.
Old May 24, 2006, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by tommy777
The pilot didn't notice it?? That's a little worrying......

I have seen a 330 and many UA320s without a winglet in traffic. Not a big deal, just burns more fuel
If it was on pushback then it could have been to do with the tug driver, not the pilot.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If it was on pushback then it could have been to do with the tug driver, not the pilot.
I have never had the pleasure of being onboard a plane crashing into something, but I'm sure both the pax and the crew would feel if the plane hits a pole. If it was on pushback, the ground crew would see it. Since a pax was the one alerting the crew, it couldnt have been on pushback

Anyways, they caught it in time and nothing fell of during the flight, like our anet friends first reported

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.