Strike!

Old Apr 5, 06, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Strike!

Just before 0600hrs this morning Norsk Kabinforening (organizing the SK cabin crews) left the negotiating table and the chaos is a fact. SAS Braathens Kabinforening (organizing the old BU cabin crews) is still negotiating.

NKF has also announced that they will consider it as strike-breaking if SK reorganizes east-coast crews to handle other routes. Hence SK production today is limited to the east-coast routes.

Let the mayhem begin.
Old Apr 6, 06, 12:50 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Strike........ Again.........

I'm really glad I re-booked my flight.
Old Apr 6, 06, 1:35 am

I am really sad this had to happen...
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
VG reports that SAS Braathens and SAS Braathens Kabinforening has reached an agreement, and that former-BU employees will continue to be at work. SBK members have not been striking this morning.
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:52 am

I'm going to OSL in about an hour. I will report on how it is up there.... I'm on a SKS flight 1805
Old Apr 6, 06, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Svg

It is absolute chaos at Stavanger Airport!

If you stand in line to get a new ticket, you`ll be in a line with about 350 others and wait of 3.5 hours.
Trains, planes, busses are full. Rental cars are sold out.
Hotels are also packed.

Good luck to those of you who are out there.
Old Apr 6, 06, 8:54 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Thumbs down

The agreement accepted by the ex-BU union is similar to the one rejected by the ex-SK union. We all remember the virus that only hit ex-SK-pilots earlier this year, and not the ex-BU-pilots. Of course, SKBU has accepted that the pilots really were ill, and that the distribution pattern of that particular virus was different to any other virus known to medicine...

But as it is: only ex-SK flight attendents are striking, refusing what their ex-BU brethren have no problems in accepting. It is more and more surprising to me that BU was the failing airline, that would have folded if SK in its magnanimity hadn't bought it out!
Old Apr 6, 06, 9:20 am
Original Poster

News from OSL

Some live news from our correspondent on OSL tommy777.

There is a lot of flights actually departing. They have grounded all the small 737s and only the large ones are flying.

Tommy himself was a lucky man and got himself into seat 2F on SK839 the direct flight to CDG! An op-up on a day like this, quite remarkable.
Old Apr 6, 06, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ksu
But as it is: only ex-SK flight attendents are striking, refusing what their ex-BU brethren have no problems in accepting. It is more and more surprising to me that BU was the failing airline, that would have folded if SK in its magnanimity hadn't bought it out!
Totally agree, I've really had it with SKBU now. Lots of easter vacations are in jeopardy right now, the mother-in-law is supposed to come into OSL from KSU tomorrow. Apparently the Fokkers were not grounded today, just the 735's OSL-KSU. This gived me hope that those F50's will run tomorrow as well. Go Fokker!
Old Apr 6, 06, 3:26 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Several Norwegian media announces new talks tomorrow between the striking union and SKBU. Fingers crossed!!

If nothing happens, I will for once be irritated that I didn't book a F50 KSU-OSL om Saturday, but a 735-departure!
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by larsll
Some live news from our correspondent on OSL tommy777.

There is a lot of flights actually departing. They have grounded all the small 737s and only the large ones are flying.

Tommy himself was a lucky man and got himself into seat 2F on SK839 the direct flight to CDG! An op-up on a day like this, quite remarkable.
It was a lucky day for me! Got to the airport around 1600, booked on SK1484 OSL-ARN. To my big surprise I noticed that many flights were operating! After shopping, I looked at the screen and noticed that SK 839 OSL-CDG was operating and on time!!

I rushed to the service centre and voila, I was the first guy on stand by!

At gate 37 (downstairs bus stop) I waited for all passengers to board and had to call larsll and tell him what was going on. In the parking lot across from the terminal, the 737-600s were lined up. We both agreed all -400s and -800s were in action today and the -600s got a nice vacation.

As Lars reported, the nice man at the gate blessed me with a C BP with 2F on it

After a little bus trip to the domestic terminal, I boarded. There was over 15 (!) rows of C class with the middle seat blocked out. I think I heard 148 pax, one in the cockpit and one riding on the jump seat, there couldn't have been more because there were only 3 cabin crew... At take off I could see a bunch of -600s parked by the SAS hangar.
I am 100% positive they configured this -800 like this because the maximum pax you can have on a -800 is 150 with only 3 CC. So rather than leaving with empty seats making pax thinking "why is this seat empty", they would rather have a huge C and make it look like there were maaany businessmen on board. At take off I could see a bunch of -600s parked by the SAS hangar.

Only speculation, but I was comfortable and enjoyed Champagne, Fish and Cognac with no one in the middle seat and a bunch who couldn’t get on the flight.

The 2 cc in C had big problems serving all C pax and the last cart went into the galley 2 minutes after the wheels came out...

And here I am at Radisson SAS at CDG, got a suite u/g for a 95 Euro room and will not have any problems catching UA 943 tomorrow!
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ksu
Several Norwegian media announces new talks tomorrow between the striking union and SKBU. Fingers crossed!!

If nothing happens, I will for once be irritated that I didn't book a F50 KSU-OSL om Saturday, but a 735-departure!

I'm quite sure this will end tomorrow, wish you a lot of luck and I will also keep my fingers crossed!
Old Apr 7, 06, 12:39 am

Strike Details from Aftenposten.

>Just posted on Aftenposten's English website.
Virtually all domestic flights by Scandinavian airlines unit SAS Braathens were grounded Thursday when 1,070 cabin attendants went on strike over a new contract.
The strike comes before Norway's long Easter break, and at a time when other problems, such as scores of flights canceled in January due to a pilot protest, have marred the airline's public image.

An estimated 28,000 passengers on 400 flights would be effected on Thursday.

The strike could affect as many as 190,000 travelers during the Easter holidays. "We have no idea how long the strike will last," said SAS Braathens information chief Siv Meisingseth.

Coping
Meisingseth expects phone lines at the SAS Braathens customer service on 05400 to be under strain. "This is the number passengers can use to rebook or refund their tickets. Travel agencies can also help if customers have bought their tickets there," Meisingseth said.
"I deeply apologize that we can only offer our customers a sharply reduced traffic program," said SAS Braathens Managing Director Petter Jansen. "It is surprising that the NKF (union) would choose to create this crisis."

Background
SAS Braathens was formed with the merger of the Norwegian unit of Scandinavian Airlines System and the SAS-owned Norwegian airline Braathens in 2004. However, many employees in the same jobs, such as the cabin crew, remain in two separate labor unions.
The strike was ordered by the Norwegian Cabin Association (NKF), representing former SAS staff. State led-mediation for 800 cabin crew organized in the former Braathens union continued into the morning Thursday but collapsed over wages and working hour demands, and benefits, said union deputy leader Elisabeth Goffeng.

Dispute
Jansen incensed workers by saying that cabin staff annual wages of NOK 400,000 (USD 62,300) were 25 percent higher than competitors paid.
"We congratulate Petter Jansen on his salary of NOK 2.6 million and a bonus of over 600,000 last year - thanks to the efforts of, among others, our cabin personnel," said NKF leader John Lyng.

Union representatives told NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting) that the real reason for the strike were divisive differences in pay for men and women, and different treatment of pilot and cabin crew work scheduling.

The NKF also pointed out that former SAS cabin crew are not paid extra for working Sundays, night shifts, movable holidays and national holidays on the 1st and 17th of May. Overtime payment only begins after 45 hours in a five-day period.
Old Apr 7, 06, 1:25 am

I was supposed to fly from Kristiansund to Brussels yesterday. I made it to Oslo on a different flight and was rebooked to fly this morning. Flight to BRU on SAS was cancelled this morning (stupid me I should have just abandoned SAS yesterday evening and gone for another airline). Oslo airport yesterday had lots of stranded passengers. SAS were handing out hotel vouchers but I think that a lot of people spent the night in the departures area (there were still lots of people in line at SAS or hanging around at 11pm).

This morning was even more chaotic. After checking out at my hotel, finding out my SAS flight was cancelled and rebooking (to LH) I got back to the hotel to get into the room I had just checked out of...! So if the LH flight doesn't have any problems I should have a total delay of about 21hrs. And then I am still lucky to be a corporate flyer which made rebooking a lot easier through a travel agent.

This must be costing SAS so much money. They have lost my revenue on their non completed flights and will get a claim for my hotel charge 2200 NOK, my dinner and my new flights of GBP 800. And if they get claims for all those thousands of passenger it will hurt.

This is the second time this has happened with SAS in the last couple of months and if I can avoid flying them in the future I will...
Old Apr 7, 06, 11:15 pm

Programs: SAS
Strike is over (April 8th)

http://www.sasbraathens.no/WCM/templ...e____1626.aspx

Last edited by cph_flyer; Apr 7, 06 at 11:30 pm Reason: added sas url

Search this Thread