Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Its no different in Scandinavia though? I can't complete a gas transaction at a Circle K gas station in Sweden without having to decline 2-3 upsells on food or other items at the pump terminal.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Its no different in Scandinavia though? I can't complete a gas transaction at a Circle K gas station in Sweden without having to decline 2-3 upsells on food or other items at the pump terminal.
I only go to places like Ingo to get gas.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
@nacho The cash discount for gas station purchases in places in the US is: because a surcharge for card use is disallowed by card acceptance agreements; due to the relatively high interchange fee for credit card use for a low/inconsistent gross margin sale product; because cash provides for more flexibility for station owners to buy gas; and because — the big one — the advertised much lower cash rate grabs eyeballs and gets even bank card-using retail buyers to pull in and buy gas with the credit cards. Tax evasion on cash sales of gas isn’t a big driver at most such places because it’s not that hard for them to be caught if doing that systematically for any extended periods of time. As far as I know, the local banks close to the gas stations owned by some of my old time acquaintances in the Midwest don’t face high cash handling costs like in Sweden where the banks hate cash and make cash — and sometimes even other deposits — a pain for the retailers and other current account owners.

I sometimes have had to drive around Sweden looking for gas stations that accept cash.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by nacho
Isn't that for almost all Swedish airports except ARN? I don't think GOT has train going there, Kiruna has the most expensive bus ride ever 350kr for a 10minutes ride.
Umeå has, pleasingly, abandoned the premium fare for the airport bus. It’s 29kr adult, 24kr youth/senior, 18kr for kids. Takes 8 minutes.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
@nacho The cash discount for gas station purchases in places in the US is: because a surcharge for card use is disallowed by card acceptance agreements; due to the relatively high interchange fee for credit card use for a low/inconsistent gross margin sale product; because cash provides for more flexibility for station owners to buy gas; and because — the big one — the advertised much lower cash rate grabs eyeballs and gets even bank card-using retail buyers to pull in and buy gas with the credit cards. Tax evasion on cash sales of gas isn’t a big driver at most such places because it’s not that hard for them to be caught if doing that systematically for any extended periods of time. As far as I know, the local banks close to the gas stations owned by some of my old time acquaintances in the Midwest don’t face high cash handling costs like in Sweden where the banks hate cash and make cash — and sometimes even other deposits — a pain for the retailers and other current account owners.

I sometimes have had to drive around Sweden looking for gas stations that accept cash.
It's not only Sweden that hates cash - DK is very much going towards cashless and the government is playing a big part in it because cashless = traceable = possible to catch tax evasion.

You know beggars in China has wechat pay, beggars in Denmark has mobilepay and applepay? No cash? No problem to help

So the low cash handling fees must be the driver for wanting cash, but wouldn't gas station owners worried about people robbing them? As I asked earlier, cash station probably take in more cash than any other retail you can think of. Even if they put in the $ every 2 hours into a safe, you are talking about $1000 at least available at all times. I think they must have more cash than an ATM.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Umeå has, pleasingly, abandoned the premium fare for the airport bus. It’s 29kr adult, 24kr youth/senior, 18kr for kids. Takes 8 minutes.
Wow - very convenient.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
So the low cash handling fees must be the driver for wanting cash, but wouldn't gas station owners worried about people robbing them? As I asked earlier, cash station probably take in more cash than any other retail you can think of. Even if they put in the $ every 2 hours into a safe, you are talking about $1000 at least available at all times. I think they must have more cash than an ATM.
In my gas station overnight cashier days 20-plus years ago (when cash was somewhat more prevalent as a method of payment), you were strongly encouraged to do your safe drop every $200 of net cash sales or so (with the register nagging you at every sale to do the drop fairly soon after that point). Record that you're dropping $200, put ten twenties into an envelope with the receipt, seal, put into safe's slot.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Isn't that for almost all Swedish airports except ARN? I don't think GOT has train going there, Kiruna has the most expensive bus ride ever 350kr for a 10minutes ride.
Both GOT and MMX are built in the same era, moved from their orignal locations with the anticipation of rapid city growth that would make them not be too off.
GOT has plans for rail-access, but not sure when/if that will happen due to massive underfunding of rail.

MMX has multiple barriers making it really difficult to connect it to rail in a relevant way. In fact, Lund University used to use MMX and rail-solutions as training material for students at their GIS center. ("Connect MMX to the rail network in an effective way, maximizing number of people reaching the airport in x minutes, minimizing construction costs" and laugh as the students failed )

CPH has not moved since 1925 (the Saltholm airport plans scrapped) so slighly easier to connect to rail when the target isn't moving
But how was the rail situation before the øresundbridge? I have vague memories of taking the train from Helsingør to Copenhagen H, but having to take bus to get to the airport.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
Both GOT and MMX are built in the same era, moved from their orignal locations with the anticipation of rapid city growth that would make them not be too off.
GOT has plans for rail-access, but not sure when/if that will happen due to massive underfunding of rail.

MMX has multiple barriers making it really difficult to connect it to rail in a relevant way. In fact, Lund University used to use MMX and rail-solutions as training material for students at their GIS center. ("Connect MMX to the rail network in an effective way, maximizing number of people reaching the airport in x minutes, minimizing construction costs" and laugh as the students failed )

CPH has not moved since 1925 (the Saltholm airport plans scrapped) so slighly easier to connect to rail when the target isn't moving
But how was the rail situation before the øresundbridge? I have vague memories of taking the train from Helsingør to Copenhagen H, but having to take bus to get to the airport.
Until terminal 3 opened in 1998, you had to take a bit expensive bus from Copenhagen central station, or cheaper but slower regular busses. With the opening of T3, the train station also opened, and the airport busses from central station were discontinued.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Until terminal 3 opened in 1998, you had to take a bit expensive bus from Copenhagen central station, or cheaper but slower regular busses. With the opening of T3, the train station also opened, and the airport busses from central station were discontinued.
I remember that airport bus from the years that we took it from I think Hotel Danmark by Rådhuspladsen and later maybe Kongens Nytorv staying at Hotel Opera. When the Metro construction started on the square, we moved to Airbnbs out on Christianshavn. Now we're back by the square; the hotel meanwhile unfortunately was bought by some non-Danish speaking chain. So much that spells Denmark has been hollowed out. 7-Eleven trainwise, SAS of course in the airline world.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:50 am
Suspended

ORD T5 will get a Star Alliance lounge in 2024, but it will be from LOT. With SAS slated to leave Star Alliance for SkyTeam, SAS passengers will likely use the DL lounge at ORD T5 quite a bunch.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:01 pm
Suspended

The cheaper, slower buses between the central station area and CPH continued for a while after the bridge opened.

It’s to be seen if SAS’s bankruptcy is followed by a further hollowing and thinnig of the SAS domestic network in Sweden. It won’t help increase the chances of MMX being as busy as Malmo-Bulltofta or Malmo-Sturup used to be with domestic flights
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
ORD T5 will get a Star Alliance lounge in 2024, but it will be from LOT. With SAS slated to leave Star Alliance for SkyTeam, SAS passengers will likely use the DL lounge at ORD T5 quite a bunch.
I remember a time not long ago when we weren't optimistic the SAS lounge at ORD would reopen. And here we are, as I walked by two weeks ago.

Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't it like 35kr one way?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It will likely be a situation like BOS terminal E now: the SkyClub becomes the de facto SkyTeam lounge while the existing lounge (SAS at ORD, AF in BOS) effectively becomes a Priority Pass and contract lounge with airline branding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.