Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:58 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Oh dear!

Listen: I know that this thread is an off-topic thread about all things Scandinavian, but the last pages have just consisted of long political harangues of internal Swedish politics, health care comparisons, as well as in-depth analysis of the school system of China.

It is natural that an English language forum about Scandinavia attracts expats with their particular experiences and needs. As a housekeeping measure, wouldn't it be better to make a new flagged thread for the concerns about expats in Scandinavia, and keep this for the more general chitchat, especially travel related?
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:30 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I found the part about the Chinese school system very interesting
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art
A lot of the posts do carry interesting information, and I don't think KSU tried to indicate differently, just that it would maybe be practical to have a separate thread.

This particular topic started in a thread about a Bloomberg article about SK's stock market performance before it was moved here. I do enjoy observing how far off topic the threads in this forum sometimes go (and I am also guilty of helping them going there sometimes)
nacho and Nick Art like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
Listen: I know that this thread is an off-topic thread about all things Scandinavian, but the last pages have just consisted of long political harangues of internal Swedish politics, health care comparisons, as well as in-depth analysis of the school system of China.

It is natural that an English language forum about Scandinavia attracts expats with their particular experiences and needs. As a housekeeping measure, wouldn't it be better to make a new flagged thread for the concerns about expats in Scandinavia, and keep this for the more general chitchat, especially travel related?
This thread for off-topic discussions for SAS area flyers had been relatively sleepy until recently. And I don’t find these discussions to be concerns for just expats in Scandinavia. But if the objective is to keep this thread as super sleepy, your suggestion would help to do that.
nacho and highupinthesky like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 2, 2019 at 5:44 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The A330 is a terrible plane to fly long haul on, so I can understand why you would prefer the A380. But would you drop another 200€ to change the same route from an A330 to an A380? Similarly, would you pay 200€ to change from a CRJ to an A320? All other things about the flights being equal?

While I don't like the A330, I just booked a flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong on one, as timing was ideal and as the airline was the best option. Anyway with Cathay and regional Asian flights, you never know what is going to show up at the gate until last minute more or less. In this case when the flight leaves Hong Hong.
I’m confused as to why you dislike the A330/A340 so much.
In Economy virtually every other airplane comes with a worse layout than the classic 2-4-2 one. 757 is way to narrow, the 767 is decent with its 2-3-2. the 3-4-3 in the B777 is horrible as is the B787 with its 3-3-3, A350 a bit better but still worse with 3-3-3, the A380 and B748 are nice because the cabins are rather wide, although I usually dislike being in huge cabins. (luckily I don't get to fly Y that often anymore).
In Business the seats usually don't depend on aircraft type and noise wise I found the A330/340 to be one of the most comfortable ones available currently, maybe only suceeded by the A380 and A350.
What is it you dislike about the A330 so much? As you can tell A330 and A340 are my most favorite ones, but it usually comes down to the airline and the cabin.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:38 am

And don’t forget that fantastically gradual climb of the A340!

I love the 340 and 330. followed by 380, 748, 787 and 777 comes last. Well, last before 767 or 757...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I found it very interesting to have seen the two extremes - Chinese and Scandinavian systems. The Swiss one is a lot of better from what I have learned online, know a UK family lived in Switzerland and disliked the system there (e.g. the teacher tried to make a left-handed girl write with her right hand).

Going back to SAS issue:

SAS changed the travel card into travel wallet - has any got one of those? I'm based in Sweden and found PFC great - used it in Japan (no issue getting cash which was thing that I worried the most) and saved me a lot of forex fee. It would be nice to hear from someone who can compare the cards.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It mainly comes down to the shape of the cabin walls, that removes a lot of the feeling of space. It came mainly from flying Cathay where the business class seats feels (for a Cathay business class seat) rather cramped. But after that point I have been getting that cramped feeling in the cabin. It is far less spacious than the 777.,A380,A350, 787. The windows are also really small which helps build the feeling of confined space.

The old SK J cabin with the smaller overhead bins in the middle helped a lot, but now SK has the full size bins as the smaller ones were really too small. Which is probably why I did not really mind for a long while while I was a mostly SK passenger.

While I don't like the A330 and A340, I still don't get to the point of deciding my route based on it. I have a couple of times shifted my Cathay flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong a bit to book a 777 instead. But the gamble there is that the regional seats on the 777-300 are not nice, and Cathay are anyway notorious for swapping aircraft on the Tokyo Hong Kong route. So mostly I still just go by timing and connection time.

The economy class seating on the 777 and 787 are rarely a problem, in that my economy class flights are mainly JAL, and they are still 3-3-3 and 2-4-2 on these types. Here I very actively pick JAL for long haul economy, as they are in all aspects (except IFE selection) a stellar carrier. A side effect is of course that picking JAL keeps me in 787 and 777, and eventually A350. But I like the A350. Also the odd 767 for Asian short haul.
I get your point, I guess I'm used to flying A320s so much that for me the A330/340 cabin already feels huge! But then again, I'm not really used to flying in bigger aircraft than the A330/340. B777 and MD-11 are up until now the biggest aircraft I have flown in. And while I really like the sound of the GE90s on the B777, it's just so loud.
But I'm also one of the people who realy likes the Vantage Seats SAS, Swiss and Austrian etc. have, even though many complain they are to small and too narrow.

Now if it's an open cabin you want, there are certain A340/330s that offer this (wlthough not for long anymore as the cabin is being retired). Let me present you one of the most open and still one of my most favorite cabins as in seat comfort: the old Swiss A340 First Class cabin:

I'm really a fan of the old open cabins and generally dislike the move towards those cubicle suites.

I only fly long haul once or maybe twice a year and I limit myself to *A, and geogrpahically I'm pretty bound to Europen carriers depending on where I'm flying. I usually just buy one of the Companion fares for Lufthansa and Swiss, but if I'd had to go somewhere where waiting for such a fare was not possible my decision process would probably be as follows: *A, Price/Airline/Aircraft cabin (and therefore indirectly the Aircraft: (For example I'll won't fly the old TAP cabin even if it is cheaper, while I'd gladly fly in the new A330neo or A321neoLR one, I also won't step foot on a UA 757 or 767 that hasn't been refurbished yet). If price is similar I'll decide by my favorite cabin and AC type. (in that order). So while Aircraft type alone isn't my deciding factor it is a combination of price, cabin and aircraft and this really depends on the routing.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
So in short. You have a preference for aircraft types too, and it is part of your decision process when booking travel, although not at the top of the list of decision factors, but still part of the decision.
Tokyo to Hong Kong on Cathay is probably the only route I can think of where it can probably get an influence, Cathay has 4 or 5 flights per day from Haneda and similar from Narita. It is the only place I can really think of where there is a logical choice to avoid certain aircraft types. But yeah, it is a package, but I am not paying extra, or really going out of my way to get on, or avoid a plane type.

And before I get asked about the Haneda Narita preference, it is only about 30 minutes difference for me, so I am quite impartial on that one. Though Narita is the better airport in terms of facilities and crowding.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get your point, I guess I'm used to flying A320s so much that for me the A330/340 cabin already feels huge! But then again, I'm not really used to flying in bigger aircraft than the A330/340. B777 and MD-11 are up until now the biggest aircraft I have flown in. And while I really like the sound of the GE90s on the B777, it's just so loud.
But I'm also one of the people who realy likes the Vantage Seats SAS, Swiss and Austrian etc. have, even though many complain they are to small and too narrow.

Now if it's an open cabin you want, there are certain A340/330s that offer this (wlthough not for long anymore as the cabin is being retired). Let me present you one of the most open and still one of my most favorite cabins as in seat comfort: the old Swiss A340 First Class cabin:

I'm really a fan of the old open cabins and generally dislike the move towards those cubicle suites.

I only fly long haul once or maybe twice a year and I limit myself to *A, and geogrpahically I'm pretty bound to Europen carriers depending on where I'm flying. I usually just buy one of the Companion fares for Lufthansa and Swiss, but if I'd had to go somewhere where waiting for such a fare was not possible my decision process would probably be as follows: *A, Price/Airline/Aircraft cabin (and therefore indirectly the Aircraft: (For example I'll won't fly the old TAP cabin even if it is cheaper, while I'd gladly fly in the new A330neo or A321neoLR one, I also won't step foot on a UA 757 or 767 that hasn't been refurbished yet). If price is similar I'll decide by my favorite cabin and AC type. (in that order). So while Aircraft type alone isn't my deciding factor it is a combination of price, cabin and aircraft and this really depends on the routing.
Japan has domestic flights on 777-300, and JAL just got their first A350-900 to start replacing their donestic 777-200. So I am quite used to bigger planes, the 777-300ER is one of my most used planes.

But to be honest it is not about sheer size, it is about a good utilisation of the available soace. Bombardier did an excellent job on the C Series, Embraer does really well on the ERJ series. And I don't think Airbus did well on the A330/40 cabin. Once you as Swiss remove all overhead bins, it get very spacious, but unless it is F that is not really an option.

The 777 engines are quite noisy, especially in the start up phase, but it really depends on where you are sitting. A good pair of noise cancelling headphones can easily compensate in any seat. With the exception of the A zone and upper deck on a 747 I anyway always use noise cancelling headphones.
​​​​
From a J seat perspective my favourite is the Apex Suite in use by JAL and the Q Suites from Qatar. I like the Vantage XL seat that SK have, though maybe the footwell is a bit too deep. The standard Vantage seat is not really my cup of tea any longer, it was quite nice when it launched, but much better options have been launched.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any suggestions on where the best steak is to be had in Scandinavia?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: More than one

I have never understood why they place the seat at the window rows so far away from the windows that you can hardly see anything but the sky once you are airborne. Am I the only one who pick the window seats because I like to be able to see the landscape we are passing?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:57 pm

I have never understood why they place the seat at the window rows so far away from the windows that you can hardly see anything but the sky once you are airborne. Am I the only one who pick the window seats because I like to be able to see the landscape we are passing?
No, you are not. My wife and I have to fight it out who gets the window seat on the scenic view legs, e.g. to the states for a glimpse of Greenland. Of course, as a gentlemen, I pull out of the race and live with walking down to the galley for the view

Often enough I ask the crew about the weather conditions and if we have clear sky over e.g. Greenland or the Alps while getting the Pre-departure drink. Most of the LH and LX FAS hear that a lot, and actually ping the flight deck. So, seems not to be that rare... with SK i often get a raised eyebrow what-are-you-serious look.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I have aisle access I do prefer having a window seat, no direct aisle access, always aisle seat. But I do like window seats. Even on a TPAC where there is virtually nothing to see. Though sometimes LAX/SAN/SFO to Tokyo flightS can offer fantastic views of the Aleutian Islands, and the rare occasions make all the water views worth it

All first class seats i have tried, seems to like the concept of a quite wide console next to the seat. It does make for practical storage and it does make a good way of storing the quite huge table in some configurations. But I think Swiss here is taking it to the extreme. I wonder if the distance to overhead bin closer to the window is part of the reason? (yes, my anti A330/A340 bias kicking in again). Another point would be that due to curvature of the walls having the side console does make for a nicer finish to look at.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are many people from Serbia and the rest of the FYR who live in Sweden
Living in the Balkans and having been with SFOR/KFOR (at the same time as James Blunt, funnily enough ) during the wars, I know something about migration from the former Yugoslavia and indeed Scandinavian countries have been a ‘safe port’ for many people not only from Serbia but also (and perhaps mainly) from here in Bosnia.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.