Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by esseff
yup thats the one i mean. nice thank you!
It's just regular Danbo 45+, you can buy them in any supermarket.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Ours too except our things are too modern to cater to Swedish taste - I was shocked to see how old fashioned the Swedish houses are when we were doing house hunting 11 years ago (that's part of the reason why we don't want to move).
Old fashioned? I would rather say "run down", "bad maintained". To be honest, when we got to our house which looks fine from the outside and the inspection did not show much to complain about. But then when we started renovation, I was shocked to see how Swedish contractors work. E.g. when they rebuild the ground floor, first moved in the kitchen furnitures, the wood oven, the stairs to the upper floor and all build in wall closets, then put down the floor heating pipes (not using some system, just like they felt it would be the proper thing) and then on top the tiles.

For once, you cannot rearrange the kitchen without remodeling the floor and second there is a gap where the tiles end and the furniture starts - which got fixed with a good portion of silicone. The contractor even was proud since it saved a couple of m heating pipes and m2 of tiles

Oh, and of course... After that the toilet. Since they were afraid drilling the screws to fix the toilet would damage the floor heating pipes (as they did not mark the pipe or left out the area around the toilet drain) they just glued it to the tiles using another good shot of silicone . By the way when the mechanic of the cistern of the toilet breaks you have to buy a new toilette since they have this retarded 2 in 1 ceramic things...

All pipes are on the wall, nothing hidden behind the tiles like you would do it in Germany - and did I mentioned there was current on the water in the shower?

Sad thing, all this was done by hired and well paid contractors who should know their business.

I could go on with stories of car mechanics doing a real sad job but charging crazy amounts, incompetent medical docs etc.

I have now started to hire Polish or German companies to fix my house. Cost is the same even if I have to pay the trip and a couple days of hotel/guesthouse and at least they a) bring proper material in good quality at acceptable prices and b) know what they are doing.

Interestingly it seem the Swedish people just don't care. They just accept what ever is done or told them. I would say when somebody would want to me to characterize the common Swede in one word I would say "Indifference". Of course there are exceptions and I don't want to insult anybody but that is my experience as immigrant. When I tell colleagues I see it that way, they nod and lough (that sad lough, like "Yes, you're right... that's our nature...").
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The funny thing is that Sweden is already a big step ahead of Denmark regarding to fixing houses, repairing cars etc. Mr. was so happy about them - because of all the horror stories he heard from his colleagues in Denmark.

The house we have is the typical parcel house built in the 70s, all the pipes are hidden.

We didn't realize our house was painted in pink until we started re-painting it, the kitchen was re-modelled in the late 80s. It came with a Miele washing machine and dishwasher - both are more than 20 years old when we took over. The dishwasher finally broke 5 years after but the washing machine is still working fine. We replaced with another Miele. We also "imported" a Miele freezer from Denmark (it was 3000 cheaper in DK than SE and it costs us 1000 to have someone shipped over). We bought some crap Electrolux freezer and fridge from Elgiganten, never trust this brand again.

I suspect that the wiring of one of our toilets is not done properly so we don't have electricity in one of the toilets - really hopeless. Also when we got our toilets done, the ceiling light actually broke off (covering glass fell down and broke - fortunately the kids weren't around) and we had to call back the electrician to fix it.

I was thinking about hiring German in too - but Mr. think it's too troublesome.

Another thing I really dislike about Sweden is hierarchy - they are very scared of authority (not necessary teacher-student), e.g. when I was giving birth, the midwife that took care of me found out there was abnormalities, she called a doctor and she turned herself from a confident woman into a helpless little girl. Took my girl to a orthodontist - he was like the emperor, the dentist was so scared of him and agreed to everything he said.

Don't get me started with the postal system here - I told everyone not to send me registered mail because I have to drive 5 minutes to pick up something that can be put into my mail box (we bought a big one just for that). I have to bring my passport to fetch mail which I found it absolutely ridiculous. DHL sent from Germany doesn't go to my home - it went to the stupid Preem that's always have long queue and it's 5 minutes drive from my home. Can't imagine all those elderly can't drive themselves, how can they get their parcels. Can't they do packstation like in Germany? Why on earth do I have to show my passport to pick up a parcel (just because they are too lazy to drive to my home - once they even dare to put that note in even though I was actually home).

I even have to show my passport when I deposit money at my local Handelsbanken.

Every country has their good and bad sides, and now that I know all the bad things about Sweden. We are willing stuck here because of the free international school education, pretty free to take the kids out of the school (Swede don't like to confront people, so if I feel like it I can take the kids out for a month, and let's see if the school is trying to "confront" me) - that fulfil my need to travel (my condition of living here is to get away as much as possible during winter), fairly OK fresh produce - cheap Salmon, Skrei.

The medical system sucks - I wouldn't RIP if I die here. I tried the emergency room at Lund once with my back then 3 year old girl. There is no alternatives and you can't pay to get faster treatment. The dentists I have been to are a joke. So I have decided that I'll fly to Asia to have my dental treatment done and anything major then I'll fly somewhere to have it treated.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:51 pm

For once I have to say I really like that they deposit parcels and important mail at the next small shop or gas station. For someone who is on the road a lot and can't time the delivery it is great. In Germany some parcel services sometimes try two or three times to bring the parcel and then ship it back to the sender. That was a real nightmare fit me as I always had to find neighbors to be available.

About the passport... I think identifying yourself to pick up parcel is a good thing? You do not need a passport, just get the Swedish ID card from the Skatteverket, if you have a person number that takes about 2 weeks and then you have an ID in credit card form you can use and don't need to carry around your passport.

Yes, medical care is really bad. For a country that developed like Sweden unbelievable?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
Another thing I really dislike about Sweden is hierarchy - they are very scared of authority (not necessary teacher-student), e.g. when I was giving birth, the midwife that took care of me found out there was abnormalities, she called a doctor and she turned herself from a confident woman into a helpless little girl. Took my girl to a orthodontist - he was like the emperor, the dentist was so scared of him and agreed to everything he said.
Don't forget Sweden's preference to use rent-a-cops for actual police work, so the police can instead of making the country safer, pull over people speeding 5 KM/H and act authoritative against your next door taxpayer which is zero threat.

Don't get me started with the postal system here - I told everyone not to send me registered mail because I have to drive 5 minutes to pick up something that can be put into my mail box (we bought a big one just for that). I have to bring my passport to fetch mail which I found it absolutely ridiculous. DHL sent from Germany doesn't go to my home - it went to the stupid Preem that's always have long queue and it's 5 minutes drive from my home. Can't imagine all those elderly can't drive themselves, how can they get their parcels. Can't they do packstation like in Germany? Why on earth do I have to show my passport to pick up a parcel (just because they are too lazy to drive to my home - once they even dare to put that note in even though I was actually home).
The most retarded thing is that the postal service actually comes to your house first to leave a note that you have a package, instead of just delivering the f'ing package. Having them drive out again after they left the note, it suddenly costs money for them to do their job. Completely absurd, one of the first places we lived in had a super shady post office which just had the boxes standing in the store for anyone to steal. Had to use UPS for all packages as they do come to your house, leading to situations where a $5 online order came with $40 shipping fees.

Also have had to reclaim money numerous times with on-line stores that will offer an "express" parcel service, which then turns out to be DHL instead of Posten but which will leave the package in the exact same place. That is simply fraude in my book.

I just can't understand why the Swedish post service isn't forced by law to their job 100% and not 85%. If I order something to my house, I expect it to be delivered at my house and not anywhere else.

I even have to show my passport when I deposit money at my local Handelsbanken.
This bothered me greatly as well, being mistreated by a bank that should value me as a customer. Not taking cash deposits without receipts etc, which you then simply made yourself and suddenly no problem. It was interesting to see all these issues go away once you get a private banker. They take care of everything without question.

The medical system sucks - I wouldn't RIP if I die here. I tried the emergency room at Lund once with my back then 3 year old girl. There is no alternatives and you can't pay to get faster treatment. The dentists I have been to are a joke. So I have decided that I'll fly to Asia to have my dental treatment done and anything major then I'll fly somewhere to have it treated.
There are insurances that give you priority and will send you to semi-private clinics depending on what you need treated. Nonetheless fully in agreement that the medical system is a total joke for a 1st world country. The baffling incompetence being a major issue. But at least the Swedish system could easily compete with China and North-Korea when it comes to indoctrination. Like Fassy mentioned, plenty of Western European countries are fooled and see the Swedish medical and school system as the holy grail. If only they knew the truth.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Aug 28, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
For once I have to say I really like that they deposit parcels and important mail at the next small shop or gas station. For someone who is on the road a lot and can't time the delivery it is great. In Germany some parcel services sometimes try two or three times to bring the parcel and then ship it back to the sender. That was a real nightmare fit me as I always had to find neighbors to be available.

About the passport... I think identifying yourself to pick up parcel is a good thing? You do not need a passport, just get the Swedish ID card from the Skatteverket, if you have a person number that takes about 2 weeks and then you have an ID in credit card form you can use and don't need to carry around your passport.

Yes, medical care is really bad. For a country that developed like Sweden unbelievable?
Yes, if the post office is not far from where you live - having to drive 5 minutes (if there is no train blocking the main street), and queue for another 5 is PITA. Think about all those elderly people have difficulty in getting to those places? Now I can walk and drive, but when I'm old/ill?

If I have that stupid piece of slip, why do I need my passport? I used to print out the bevis from Skatteverket and they don't accept that. Can't I just use my mobil bank-ID as an ID?

The ID card is not free - plus I have to go and get one.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Don't forget Sweden's preference to use rent-a-cops for actual police work, so the police can instead of making the country safer, pull over people speeding 5 KM/H and act authoritative against your next door taxpayer which is zero threat.
Or testing my alcohol level when I was driving after I went swimming (my hair was wet) when I was driving at 14:15 to pick up the kids

The most retarded thing is that the postal service actually comes to your house first to leave a note that you have a package, instead of just delivering the f'ing package. Having them drive out again after they left the note, it suddenly costs money for them to do their job. Completely absurd, one of the first places we lived in had a super shady post office which just had the boxes standing in the store for anyone to steal. Had to use UPS for all packages as they do come to your house, leading to situations where a $5 online order came with $40 shipping fees.
There was once I got something delivered by DHL and they told me to pick up at Preem. I called and said, 'you are DHL not Posten. Someone paid to get this thing shipped to my house, not to Preem and just put that stupid goggles into my mailbox'. They did.

This is even more insane: I ordered 2 summer tyres, instead of them delivered to my house, they f***ing delivered to Malmo (35km away). I called them and asked whether they can ship to my local Preem and they said they can't

Also have had to reclaim money numerous times with on-line stores that will offer an "express" parcel service, which then turns out to be DHL instead of Posten but which will leave the package in the exact same place. That is simply fraude in my book.

I just can't understand why the Swedish post service isn't forced by law to their job 100% and not 85%. If I order something to my house, I expect it to be delivered at my house and not anywhere else.
Exactly - why do they put my address on and left my stuff 35km away?

This bothered me greatly as well, being mistreated by a bank that should value me as a customer. Not taking cash deposits without receipts etc, which you then simply made yourself and suddenly no problem. It was interesting to see all these issues go away once you get a private banker. They take care of everything without question.
I have to use a high street bank to get my cash put into my accounts - it's from CC paid out (1% bonus). Plus Handelsbanken has a great deal on free transfers between DK and SE.

There are insurances that give you priority and will send you to semi-private clinics depending on what you need treated. Nonetheless fully in agreement that the medical system is a total joke for a 1st world country. The baffling incompetence being a major issue. But at least the Swedish system could easily compete with China and North-Korea when it comes to indoctrination. Like Fassy mentioned, plenty of Western European countries are fooled and see the Swedish medical and school system as the holy grail. If only they knew the truth.
Maybe, but it shouldn't be necessary. I asked at the Emergency room at Lund to see if I can get my little girl treated privately by paying (we couldn't leave the emergency room waiting area to get something to eat and we hadn't eaten since lunch that day. We waited from 4pm and finished at 3am - all we ate was a couple of pieces of Haribo gummy bears). They said no. I asked if she could come the next day, they said the queue will be longer

The most crazy thing was: after my girl got her cast on, and waiting for the cab to take us home, there was a big car crash and it took up all the capacity at the ER and they told everything to go home and come back tomorrow! Most people there started waiting before we came and they had to go home without getting any treatment at 3am!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
My gawd, I've only just been away in Mongolia for one week now, just arrived in a hotel in Dalanzadgad which actually has stable and reliable internet and look how this thread evolved (and got off topic in a fantastic way ).

It's quite a bit to read, but it makes me wonder... would there be interest in a sort of 'general slowchat' topic involving all people affected by SAS?

Last edited by UltraRant; Sep 2, 2015 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UltraRant
My gawd, I've only just been away in Mongolia for one week now, just arrived in a hotel in Dalanzadgad which actually has stable and reliable internet and look how this thread evolved (and got off topic in a fantastic way ).

It's quite a bit to read, but it makes me wonder... would there be interest in a sort of 'general slowchat' topic involving all people affected by SAS?
Do you have any inputs about Norway? Or is Norway much better than Sweden?

I really like the show "welcome to Sweden" - we couldn't stop laughing when we saw and heard something so familiar to our own experience

It's a shame they stop producing it - I guess very few people understand the humour, you have to be in the situation to understand it.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by UltraRant
That was the purpose of the EB lounge thread at the top of the forum. We need to give it a better name... LH has 'Biergarten', AY 'höpö-höpö', IbA 'chai stall'. What do the scandics have as equivalent?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
That was the purpose of the EB lounge thread at the top of the forum. We need to give it a better name... LH has 'Biergarten', AY 'höpö-höpö', IbA 'chai stall'. What do the scandics have as equivalent?
Hygge in Danish (Cozy)
Lagom in Swedish (take it easy)
Fika (eat cake and drink coffee = chat)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Fika is uniquely swedish though... no danish or norwegian word exists for it
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fika is uniquely swedish though... no danish or norwegian word exists for it
Neither is Hygge - it's uniquely Danish.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:31 am

Kanelbolle/Kanelbulle & Kaffe/Kaffi Thread? @:-)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Would be a great topic if those where actually served in SK lounges.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:27 am

There we go... Scandinavians do not socialize, so no need for a Biergarten or similar place to socialize and there fore no word for it...

Hygge also in most places means being at home or in a cozy place with close friends or family, not being around in public chatting with strangers. Fika is a least a bit more open as it has made it to the daily corporate life.

But true, just the word "Lounge" thread usually also makes me thinks about the lounges and not off-topic chit-chat.

The problem is that these kind of chat threads usually die fast, I guess because most of the ot chatter comes out of the triggering topic. So far I do not find it very disturbing here in this board. Actually fun, (being one of the contributors in those) and as long as nobody complains about thread highjacking or the chatting I don't see a reason to act.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.