Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can you tell that I find Scandinavia to be a laggard when it comes to world class hotels, because the service aspect is never consistently great? (Even the physical plant leaves something to be desired too often.)
My bigges worry regarding Scandinavian hotels is that they often have tiny tiny rooms.

I stayed at the Scandic Prinsen in Trondheim last weeked, and as Hilton Gold VIP I should receive their best non-suite room upon check-in. Well. I got a small closet, and I called the front-desk (the receptionist was very helpful and nice, and I had had a long discussion with her at check-in time), and she said that what I had was their biggest non-suite room that had one single bed, and she had thought that I'd rather have a queen-size single bed rather than a twin room. Her assumption was right, so I opted to keep the room.

Still, compared to what I have received elsewhere in Europe, the room was really tiny, with the TV hung on the wall...
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
I agree that service levels in Scandinavia is much lower than in Asia for example but the same could be said about most hotels in Europe & US - especially when you compare hotels in the same price range
Well given the prices I've been paying, I can't really complain since most of my hotel stays in the region -- as of late -- are, in effect, only costing me $40-$50 per night -- courtesy of Hilton HHonors* -- for a room priced on the hotels websites at 1800-2800 SEK on some nights.

-----------
* This Hilton HHonors option is no longer available.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:09 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the Norwegian push to have 50% female representation, perhaps Tommy777 can help with the female recruitment drive on FT like he helped arrange the legendary SAS DO?

Dovster, you'd appreciate that, right?
Actually; the legal requirement is only 40%....
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:13 am
ksu

Talking

Originally Posted by AHO
Yes, it's right.

BTW,there are "Nordic Club"s for Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Danish and Finnish citizen outside these territories.

So, Denmark + Norway + Sweden = Scandinavia.
Scandinavia + Finland & Iceland = Nordic.
Add the Faroe Islands to the Nordic countries. Being a semi-autonomous part of Denmark, they are usually not considered part of Scandinavia. One definition of Scandinavia could be that Norwegians understand the local langauge without having learnt any foreign langauges! SK doesn't fly to the Faroes either!

Last edited by ksu; Mar 12, 2006 at 5:28 am
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
Actually; the legal requirement is only 40%....
We're still short, yes?
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:52 am

Programs: AAadvantage, EBG, PP
Greenland is a Nordic country too

Originally Posted by ksu
Add the Faroe Islands to the Nordic countries. Being a semi-autonomous part of Denmark, they are usually not considered part of Scandinavia. One definition of Scandinavia could be that Norwegians understand the local langauge without having learnt any foreign langauges! SK doesn't fly to the Faroes either!
Actually, the Nordic Region consists of:
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Iceland
The Ĺland-Islands (part of Finland, but semi-autonomous)
The Faroe Islands (Part of Denmark, semi-autonomous)
Greenland (part of Denmark, semi-autonomous)

Combined population for the Nordic region is 24,7 mn people, speaking seven different languages. Danish is the most common among the countries, being a mandatory language in schools in Denmark (surprise), Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
Swedish is spoken by most people (in Sweden, the Ĺland islands and parts of southern Finland).
Historically, Denmark, which is now the smallest of the fully independent Nordic countries by size, once ruled all of the Nordic region except Finland.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:31 am
ksu

Originally Posted by CONY
Historically, Denmark, which is now the smallest of the fully independent Nordic countries by size, once ruled all of the Nordic region except Finland.
Well, for several periods totalling 67 years between 1389 and 1521 the three Scandinavian countries were in a union under Danish dominance (Greenland, Iceland and the Faroes were Norwegian dominions). But Denmark was larger then, comprising much of what today is southern Sweden (Scania).

As for Greenland, that is politically a Nordic country, but geographically a part of the Americas, viz the recent skirmishes with Canada over Hans Ř.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Greetings from Zürich! I did SK603 earlier today and Im staying at the Intercontinental.

Got upgraded to Executive Room at the Club floor and then upgraded again since my room had a double bed and Im sharing the room with a colleague. Im writing this from one of the Suites and I just made myself a nice espresso with our own espresso-machine in the room

I am doing ZRH-DAR tomorrow morning on a A332 in C and I have no idea of what to expect from Swiss. Hopefully some nice chocolate!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
a380 is way of topic for SK, but anyone seen this video (assembling an a380 in about 7 minutes)? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42226114078023 its pretty neat.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Lounge access!
I will be in the CPH lounge tomorrow from 12.30-14.30 if anyone wants to meet up and grab a beer.
I was actually at CPH around the same time, but due to late arrival of incoming flight I did not have time to visit the lounge.

Enjoy your time in Zurich and Africa!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:14 am
Original Poster

The LX "Bellevue lounge" in ZRH was nothing special - very little to eat when I expected a breakfast buffet.

The flight to Dar Es Salaam via Nairobi was very nice - service was better than expected with a friendly crew and excellent food. Only complaint was old C-class seats and missing AVOD on IFE.

I managed to upgrade my friend from Y to the C seat next to me so we tilted our seats and enjoyed french champagne and swiss chocolate
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:28 am
Original Poster

One week on Zanzibar - its been great and highly recommended for someone looking for some peace & quiet. About double the prices of Thailand but still not expensive. Will try to post a pic or two later!

We are leaving for Kilimanjaro and then Serengeti / Ngorogoro for some Safari early next week. Back in the snow next weekend
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:41 am

Programs: SK*G
To get somewhere near the original topic: I'm on the 10:40 flight to LHR from OSL tomorrow (Saturday, 25MAR) and I'll be in the OSL lounge prior to that, if anybody wants to meet up.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: heaps...
any news on the quest for a OSL dom lounge??

have a nice weekend, im bouncing along the west coast of norway, paid C does me great good....

the overtime im getting on the other hand....
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I am expecting a 10-15% price increase on Swedish CRTWSTAR tickets in 2006, maybe mid-April? The current 38.800SEK is too low compared to Euroland and UK and Star has tried to even out all differences earlier (CAI and IST comes to mind).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.