Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:40 am

My citizenship application just moved from pending to "under review". So maybe I can also line up the breadlines for getting a Swedish passport soon
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If the Swedish authorities could manage to get off their paranoia kick and returned to general Swedish passport expiration periods being 5 years for kids and increasing adult passport validity to 10 years, they would not have had as much of a mess as they have had this year and had even before there was any Finnish fire to blame.

US passports for in-person applications at the US embassies in Denmark, Norway, and Sweden are typically turned around with new passports available for pickup by applicants within less than 16 calendar days of showing up at the embassies for the application. Appointments can be a challenge to land at times, but nothing like the crazy appointment problems Sweden has been having this year.
Last time I did an in-person application at the US embassy in Copenhagen I was there on a Friday, and received my passport via registered mail in Sweden the following Wednesday. Don't ask me how they pulled that one off, but it was impressive!
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
While I would love to have all my SK Scandinavia-US flights scheduled for post-5pm departures and all my SK flights in the other direction able to get me into CPH and ARN by 6:30am , SK seems to think it’s better for their fleet utilization and revenue maximization to not cater to my schedule.

Given what I’ve seen of the economy class fares for some of the US West Coast-ARN/CPH flights, not sure SAS can do worse even if they cater to any of our desired schedules. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if SAS would do itself better longer term by cutting back on its own West Coast service.
You'll love the timing of the UA ARN-EWR reboot (another NYC route ).
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JR67
Last time I did an in-person application at the US embassy in Copenhagen I was there on a Friday, and received my passport via registered mail in Sweden the following Wednesday. Don't ask me how they pulled that one off, but it was impressive!
It’s been quite some time since our Copenhagen embassy took Friday appointments for non-emergency ordinary US passport applications. And while 3/4-6 day turns used to happen for some standard ordinary passport applications done in-person In Osterport, at the start of this year it was around 6-10 days on average; and it’s now closer to around 15 days despite what is said to applicants.

What more commonly comes back now to Copenhagen are the ugly polycarbonate biodata page version. And along with that came these slower turn times.

The regular registered mail from Denmark to Sweden with US passports can be a wild card. I wouldn’t count on that if in a rush and really wanting to make the trip with a current US passport.

A Swedish authority involved with Swedish passport issuance this week said things had sped up a bit and delivery times to the Swedish police stations weren’t all as bad as indicated here: https://polisen.se/tjanster-tillstan...okningsperiod/.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The UA EWR-ARN timing is pretty good for me . The same cannot be said by me for UA ARN-EWR.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 18, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As expected as an option for a US carrier, east coast 757 flight.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Back when then SkyTeam partners CO and DL each had their 757s connecting the NYC area with ARN on the same days, their flights were timed pretty closely and sort of like this for the ARN-US flights.

Anyone else here remember the ridiculous lounge situation at ARN when for a brief while ARN lounge access was the same for only 3 of the following 4 circumstances:

DL Platinum in CO economy class
CO Platinum in DL economy class
DL Platinum in DL economy class
CO Platinum in CO economy class

because one of these two then-Skyteam carriers went cheap and told the contract lounge not to allow in their own elites in economy class?

This was the kind of thing I would have expected from SAS with contract lounges, but SAS later took it further and ditched contract lounge access entirely. Speaking of which, anyone here holding out hope that SAS will get back into granting contract lounge access? Please don’t hold your breath.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Could have been from IAD like DL could have flown from ATL. ARN doesn't need more NYC flights.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:54 pm
Suspended

In Denmark, heard that Sweden wants to make border control checks permanent for Denmark to Sweden traffic. And it seems accurate. Sadly, it seems like some people never learn from the messes of the past, as Sweden has some who even wants to return to the same set up that led to the mess at CPH airport that was hitting cross-border train travelers around 7 years ago.

Could have been from IAD like DL could have flown from ATL. ARN doesn't need more NYC flights.
DL tried ATL-ARN service for a while and didn’t find it worth keeping. ATL used to have a Swedish consulate, but that apparently didn’t indicate enough traffic to keep ATL-ARN in business.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
United respectfully disagrees....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:12 am
Suspended

United respectfully disagrees....
Even with all those Georgia peaches -- no substantial market for American peaches in Sweden -- DL didn't think ARN-ATL was all that peachy for it.

The airlines seem to end up rediscovering that US-ARN and ARN-US demand is concentrated in such a way that there is a limited long-haul network profile that works with ARN.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
In Denmark, heard that Sweden wants to make border control checks permanent for Denmark to Sweden traffic. And it seems accurate.
I can't see how that could be done without withdrawing from the Schengen Agreement, with all the consequences it implies.

I never truly understood the Swedish obsession with border controls (even before the extremists took over in the last elections) but perhaps Schengen indeed may not be for them with this 19th century mentality.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
I can't see how that could be done without withdrawing from the Schengen Agreement, with all the consequences it implies.

I never truly understood the Swedish obsession with border controls (even before the extremists took over in the last elections) but perhaps Schengen indeed may not be for them with this 19th century mentality.
There is even a court ruling that prohibits these things sticking for more than six months. One of its last acts in government for the most recent former Swedish government: extend the border controls for six months from November. Amusingly for most of this year, these Swedish border checks are more often not around than they are around when coming from Denmark into Sweden — by rail at least; and by air they seem to almost never have been around and making it easy to fly on SAS as Micke Moussa between CPH and Sweden even if the person looks more like Pippi Longstockings.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
In Denmark the politicians are not removing the check between Denmark and Germany.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
There is even a court ruling that prohibits these things sticking for more than six months. One of its last acts in government for the most recent former Swedish government: extend the border controls for six months from November. Amusingly for most of this year, these Swedish border checks are more often not around than they are around when coming from Denmark into Sweden — by rail at least; and by air they seem to almost never have been around and making it easy to fly on SAS as Micke Moussa between CPH and Sweden even if the person looks more like Pippi Longstockings.
I have learned my lesson to only enter Sweden and Norway via airports to avoid all kind of border bullying. Obviously doesn't work for regional trips, but when I travel between major cities, I always take plane, even though I'd normally prefer train. Denmark has always been chill, they do far fewer checks and even when they do occur, they are conducted profesionally and I've never been treated like a criminal for crossing a line on the map by Danish authorities.

The number of CPH-ARN trips I took on SAS far exceeds the number of ARN-CPH trips.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
In Denmark the politicians are not removing the check between Denmark and Germany.
Indeed. Denmark are extending them for six months from November. These operations are not cheap. Waste a lot of DKK if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.