The Eurobonus Forum Kafé

Old Nov 30, 19, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Why? I don't fly with them but I don't mind the competition.
Some people who fly using OPM don’t like the competition because when the competitor is cheaper then they may get booked on it, they may be told to pay the difference if wanting to avoid it, or they may look bad choosing the more expensive option.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Why? I don't fly with them but I don't mind the competition.
If I can't fly the competition because of an inferior product and lack of alliance affiliation then it's not real competition or at least not one that benefits me. Norwegian no longer absorbing coach passengers that can fill the back of the bus of SK's planes is a positive. It also opens up demand since DY scrapped 4 longhaul routes that SK or someone else can now step in to and open routes that are beneficial. With DY routes ARN-LAX and ARN-OAK being out of the picture, there should be more than enough West Coast demand for a meaningful SK route.
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:57 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
If I can't fly the competition because of an inferior product and lack of alliance affiliation then it's not real competition or at least not one that benefits me. Norwegian no longer absorbing coach passengers that can fill the back of the bus of SK's planes is a positive. It also opens up demand since DY scrapped 4 longhaul routes that SK or someone else can now step in to and open routes that are beneficial. With DY routes ARN-LAX and ARN-OAK being out of the picture, there should be more than enough West Coast demand for a meaningful SK route.
I would be happier if it's UA that takes over the DY route than SK, again more competition = better price.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I would be happier if it's UA that takes over the DY route than SK, again more competition = better price.
Well. The "better prices" are the reason why all airlines now squeezes 180 pax in to an A320-neo, making it impossible to use a laptop during the flight due to the narrow space between the seats. So yes prices are down, but now you can't convert part of the travel time to working hours anymore, so end result is more costs for the clients I'm working for and for my employer
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:24 am

I agree. I don’t welcome further SAS domination of long-haul routes from Scandinavia to the US. More competition is what best suits the interests of consumers in the aggregate, and SAS gaining even more marketshare in the Scandinavia-US long-haul market isn’t going to provide or facilitate more competition; rather it will undermine competition and all the good that comes to consumers from more competition.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:32 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I agree. I don’t welcome further SAS domination of long-haul routes from Scandinavia to the US, as more competition is what best suits the interests of consumers in the aggregate.
If they competed on service I agree. Unfortunately due to the high amount of leisure travel all competition is on price, and that often mean reduces service, as most other major parameters are the same for all airlines.

Last weekend on my way back from a short getaway, I had a chat with a Swedish guy, and we ended up discussing airlines. He told me that he were flying with ryanair, and every time when he gets home he says no more, but then he get a "good" offer and jumps in with both legs again.
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
If they competed on service I agree. Unfortunately due to the high amount of leisure travel all competition is on price, and that often mean reduces service, as most other major parameters are the same for all airlines.

Last weekend on my way back from a short getaway, I had a chat with a Swedish guy, and we ended up discussing airlines. He told me that he were flying with ryanair, and every time when he gets home he says no more, but then he get a "good" offer and jumps in with both legs again.
The idea that competition in air passenger service is ever all on price is the biggest joke I will have encountered this week so far, and I read a lot of junk out there.

Even at 100 DKK how many normal passengers are willing to suffer the equivalent of Ryanair’s worst seats for 1000 hours straight of flying via puddle jumping on Ryanair to get from ARN to BOS? The demand just isn’t there for filling up a bunch of planes at that price with that kind of product/service for that long a journey time. Even at 1 DKK, it’s expensive.

Even very cheap people choose to fly to save time because even time away traveling via circuitous and slow means of travel is real money out of the pocketbook/wallet/purse for most all people. In other words, leisure air travel competition is never all on price, as consumers of such sort too shop based along a matrix of factors where price is anything but the only factor.
copperred likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 3, 19 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:33 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P

It reminds me of someone talked about all the complaints about LCC, she said, "if everyone actually stop flying LCC after they said so, then there shouldn't be that many LCCs out there".

I don't fly LCCs because I don't support the idea, I don't think LH packing 180 pax into a A320 is not just because of the price war, it's more airlines trying to maximize their profit (basically using the excuses of LCCs to put charges on checked bags in order to put up the price) - they can easily sell each of these tickets at DKK 2500 each.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:57 am

I don't fly LCCs because I don't support the idea, I don't think LH packing 180 pax into a A320 is not just because of the price war, it's more airlines trying to maximize their profit (basically using the excuses of LCCs to put charges on checked bags in order to put up the price) - they can easily sell each of these tickets at DKK 2500 each.
You can maximize the profit 2 ways. Squeeze more people into the birds or raise the prices. Clearly almost all airlines are doing the first at the moment. I'm not even sure ryanair still have the record for most pax in the models they are operating.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
You can maximize the profit 2 ways. Squeeze more people into the birds or raise the prices. Clearly almost all airlines are doing the first at the moment. I'm not even sure ryanair still have the record for most pax in the models they are operating.
The current version of the 737-800 is certified for 189 seats, FR has 189 seats. So while other airlines may have the same number of seats, no airline has more seats on them than FR.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:05 pm

“You can maximize the profit 2 ways. Squeeze more people into the birds or raise the prices.”

There are more than two ways to maximize profits. An airline, for example, can reduce its costs of various sorts to maximize profits, and that may be done even without cramming in more seats and without raising prices.
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The current version of the 737-800 is certified for 189 seats, FR has 189 seats. So while other airlines may have the same number of seats, no airline has more seats on them than FR.
So ryanair might share the record with some mainline airlines today. It doesn't really change anything for me. 2-3 years back, they would have the only one to squeeze that number of people into a bird.

Search this Thread