Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Calling anything DSB operated high-speed trains is quite an insult to high-speed rail.
I agree, which is why I wrote Danish version of high-speed trains.

As you probably know. We can do everything better in DK. Just look at the Metro which has been build so small that it from day one has been struggling with handling the amount of passenger using it in rush hour. Or the trains bought from AnsaldoBreda som 10-20 years back and is still not in full scheduled operation. And by the way the "high-speed" trains from bought from AnsaldoBreda were bought at a point in time, when AnsaldoBreda was 1 year into their struggle with getting the Metro to run properly and still had no clue how to solve the problems.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:24 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I agree, which is why I wrote Danish version of high-speed trains.

As you probably know. We can do everything better in DK. Just look at the Metro which has been build so small that it from day one has been struggling with handling the amount of passenger using it in rush hour. Or the trains bought from AnsaldoBreda som 10-20 years back and is still not in full scheduled operation. And by the way the "high-speed" trains from bought from AnsaldoBreda were bought at a point in time, when AnsaldoBreda was 1 year into their struggle with getting the Metro to run properly and still had no clue how to solve the problems.
There are basically only two kinds of daily (non-Metro) trains that run and stop at CPH: DSB/Skanetrafiken Oresundstag trains; and SJ trains. In any given direction, DSB/Oresundstag trains run 3+ times per hour for some hours of the day or as little as once per hour in the wee hours of the morning. In any given direction, the SJ (Swedish) trains have a far more limited schedule and are the fastest trains that serve CPH. There is nothing else there in the way of trains for us mortal passengers at CPH.

The SJ trains leaving CPH do serve Stockholm, but there aren't more than 6-10 per any 24 hour period, so more times than not it makes sense to take the Oresundstag to Malmo C and change onto a faster train there for CPH. I've never seen Veolia's Snalltaget trains stop at CPH airport, but that is the next most common passenger train to cross the Oresundsbro. Never seen any other regular passenger trains heading from CPH into Denmark. Anything else going on with Swedish security or Danish security for the crossing and at the airport usually comes to my attention historically and that traffic would get the attention of the border control police and/or customs or others, whether involving a physical check or not. And they haven't said much of anything about other train traffic originating or ending at the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are basically only two kinds of daily (non-Metro) trains that run and stop at CPH: DSB/Skanetrafiken Oresundstag trains; and SJ trains. In any given direction, DSB/Oresundstag trains run 3+ times per hour for some hours of the day or as little as once per hour in the wee hours of the morning. In any given direction, the SJ (Swedish) trains have a far more limited schedule and are the fastest trains that serve CPH. There is nothing else there in the way of trains for us mortal passengers at CPH.
As CPH-Flyer wrote. The Intercity trains and Intercity Lyn trains starts and ends at CPH. Each of the runs once an hour, and goes to all major cities in DK.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended

As CPH-Flyer wrote. The Intercity trains and Intercity Lyn trains starts and ends at CPH. Each of the runs once an hour, and goes to all major cities in DK.
Aren't those DSB trains too?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:39 pm

Aren't those DSB trains too?
Yes they are, but they are not Oresundstag. The Oresundstag is a regional train which runs every 10 min during daytime and crosses the bridge to SE every 20 min. Until end of 2020 it's operated by both DSB and Skanetrafiken. From December 2020 Skĺnetrafiken will be single operator.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Yes they are, but they are not Oresundstag. The Oresundstag is a regional train which runs every 10 min during daytime and crosses the bridge to SE every 20 min. Until end of 2020 it's operated by both DSB and Skanetrafiken. From December 2020 Skĺnetrafiken will be single operator.
I know that all DSB trains at CPH aren't Oresundstag trains, but was asking about who operates the non-Oresundstag trains that do Danish intercity if it weren't DSB. I am at CPH more days than not this year. And I'm on Track 1 or 2 most of those days.

I've been at the lounges at CPH over 100 times this year and on those train tracks at CPH more than that. Perhaps you haven't realized that I'm local to CPH and a mass transit commuter at that for CPH. And I've got SJ elite status and use the Skanetrafiken apps more days than not this year. Maybe I should be named CPH-flyer.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 8, 2019 at 1:50 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

I know that all DSB trains at CPH aren't Oresundstag trains, but was asking about who operates the non-Oresundstag trains that do Danish intercity if it weren't DSB. I am at CPH more days than not this year. And I'm on Track 1 or 2 most of those days.

I've been at the lounges at CPH over 100 times this year and on those train tracks at CPH more than that. Perhaps you haven't realized that I'm local to CPH and a mass transit commuter at that for CPH. And I've got SJ elite status and use the Skanetrafiken apps more days than not this year. Maybe I should be named CPH-flyer.
My house is less than 500M from one of the stations served by the Řresunds trains, but I haven't used them in over 2 years. I got tired of it taking twice as long to get to the airport compared to taking the car plus they were really unstable. More than once we arrived 5 min. late at the central station, which meant that the train was held back for another 15 min. so it could continue on time. This way it wouldn't count as delayed in the statistics and they didn't have to pay compensation. I think they changed the calculation, but the trains are still very unstable and it still takes way longer to get to the airport, compared to taking the car. Specially at the late hours when I often arrive back from a business trip.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

My house is less than 500M from one of the stations served by the Řresunds trains, but I haven't used them in over 2 years. I got tired of it taking twice as long to get to the airport compared to taking the car plus they were really unstable. More than once we arrived 5 min. late at the central station, which meant that the train was held back for another 15 min. so it could continue on time. This way it wouldn't count as delayed in the statistics and they didn't have to pay compensation. I think they changed the calculation, but the trains are still very unstable and it still takes way longer to get to the airport, compared to taking the car. Specially at the late hours when I often arrive back from a business trip.
I have plenty of complaints about the state of train infrastructure reliability when it involves Sweden, be it for cross-bridge trains serving CPH or trains serving Stockholm. Thus the joke about being CPH-flyer when it’s almost as much CPH-track-sufferer.

I can’t drive and work. And taking taxis all the time doesn’t fly for me. When people ask about whether I’m concerned about all the flying I do and what it does for the environment, I say that I’m one of the great users of mass transit on the ground as well as in the air.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 8, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Mr. used to work right by a train station and he used to take a train to work, he had to give up because the train was so unstable. It's impossible to get compensation because there were a long list of things that you need to do and most incidents didn't qualify.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Mr. used to work right by a train station and he used to take a train to work, he had to give up because the train was so unstable. It's impossible to get compensation because there were a long list of things that you need to do and most incidents didn't qualify.
The Oresundstag can be unreliable in terms of time, but I don't know them to be physically unstable even on windy days on the bridge just before they close it down.

Skanetrafiken used to be far more generous about what it would provide for travel disruptions, be it buses or trains (or even some taxis); and it used to deliver on them reliably. Then it went even cheaper and decided to formalize lower levels of compensation for disruption. In practice this was also followed with it becoming a lot harder to get them to pay out in meaningful ways when things go wrong. It became so bad that even the cheapest of the people I know gave up on trying to get free or any other public transport credit from them for most of the disruptions. Despite all this, I do still use mass transit to get to CPH even from the Swedish side of the bridge. I have not missed a flight in quite some time due to train problems, and I'm the person who often barely makes the check-in cut-off and often schedules myself to show up at CPH at or very close to boarding time. I think there has been only one time this year where I had come very close to taking a taxi from Sweden to CPH because of train problems potentially putting at risk my ability to get to my flight on time.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:50 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G

OSL’s trains? Didn’t seem any differently connected for air travel than CPH’s or ARN’s trains.
The only high-speed rail line in Norway is the Oslo-OSL line. The railway station at OSL works as an ordinary train station, as all trains heading north from Oslo stops there, including all Oslo - Trondheim trains. It even has a night train with proper sleeping cars!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ksu
The only high-speed rail line in Norway is the Oslo-OSL line. The railway station at OSL works as an ordinary train station, as all trains heading north from Oslo stops there, including all Oslo - Trondheim trains. It even has a night train with proper sleeping cars!
CPH doesn’t have anything akin to the Arlanda Express or Oslo’s Flytoget/Airport Express train service. But it does have the Metro on top of the commuter rail trains.

CPH has no routine sleeping car train service. I am not sure about sleeping car trains at the ARN train station which has trains running to and from Uppsala, but I’ve never seen any such sleeping car trains there myself.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

I am not sure about sleeping car trains at the ARN train station which has trains running to and from Uppsala, but I’ve never seen any such sleeping car trains there myself.
Yes, there are trains with sleeping cars that pass through ARN, to Ostersund and Narvik.

https://www.sj.se/content/dam/SJ/pdf...karta-2019.pdf
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedChili
Yes, there are trains with sleeping cars that pass through ARN, to Ostersund and Narvik.

https://www.sj.se/content/dam/SJ/pdf...karta-2019.pdf
Do those sleeper car trains board and unload passengers at ARN? I’ve taken some night trains from Stockholm C to Ostersund/Ĺre and don’t recall them stopping at ARN. But I do hit the hay quickly in the sleeper cars.

It seems they do at Arlanda C. Is the passenger access fee for the Arlanda C platform use part of the regular SJ and Veolia/Snalltaget tickets for the sleeper trains passing Arlanda C?

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 9, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:51 pm

Yes, they do. I think the passage fee is automatically included for all SJ tickets that start or end at Arlanda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.