Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by livious
As a North American poster on the SAS forum, I can fully understand the comments FlyingMoose is making. One just has to live long enough here to give up with the silliness.
Yes because trump as president isn't silly at all, and it even looks like he is going to be reelected.
I have to say I have lost a great deal of respect for US seeing how you guys let trump do whatever he likes.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by livious
As for the planned maintenance, one can question the duration for how long it takes. Things can tend to draw on in Sweden
I second that. About a year ago they refurbished the elevators in the Radisson Sky City at Arlanda. The first one was closed for 3 months. For the second one they were in training It only took them 2 months. And 6 months later they were still playing around with the controls and optimizing how the elevator operated despite there is only 3 floors + 3 floors where you need a key.
At the same time they were building a new office building next to the Clarion hotel. They managed to add all floors on the building during the time it took the elevator guys to refurbish 2 elevators.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I've lived abroad too. Complaints about how the locals do things are quite common everywhere.

Btw, the number one complaint I hear from foreigners is that there are too many foreigners around.

And it's quite silly to both complain about planned maintenance and lack of maintenance.
I'm sure if they built this magical maglev to BMA certain people would whine about that too. Some people are just wired that way.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Yes because trump as president isn't silly at all, and it even looks like he is going to be reelected.
I have to say I have lost a great deal of respect for US seeing how you guys let trump do whatever he likes.
A majority of Americans did not vote for him and, if you were being honest, the fact that his type has sat in governments in both Norway and Denmark for decades at this point isn't a winner either.

Given that he keeps losing court cases I'm not clear on the whatever he likes, but it would be nice to see the back of him, even if certain members of this thread seem to have similar histrionics.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by copperred
I seriously doubt anyone would go out of their way to confront him in the US, he might have a gun. You appear to have done absolutely nothing so... Children and their irritating games at full volume is trying for everyone.
As you weren’t there, nothing would appear to you in terms of what I did do.

The child was not playing any irritating games at full volume. The child was actually less irritating than the trash metal music being listened to by the overgrown child whose headset was bleeding more noise to my ears than the little U2 child.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 22, 2019 at 7:08 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Americans who are or have been resident in Sweden seem to be no more corpulent than Swedes in the Swedish countryside for areas that aren’t further north than Uppsala.

Some North Americans are Canadians or other non-US persons.

For some reason a lot of Swedes think I am Canadian. Even some Swedes who lived in the US for 10+ years. Maybe it’s because I wear shorts in March-October and don’t often use a coat for cooler weather unless it’s November-March.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I've lived abroad too. Complaints about how the locals do things are quite common everywhere.

Btw, the number one complaint I hear from foreigners is that there are too many foreigners around.

And it's quite silly to both complain about planned maintenance and lack of maintenance.
Complaining about where you live or have lived has more weight and likelihood of taking place than complaining about things which you’ve not experienced a lot if at all. And people tend to complain about what they experience first hand more than about things they never personally experienced.

Complaining about the pace of repairs/maintenance of some sort and complaining about the lack of repairs of maintenance of a related sort isn’t incompatible or ridiculous. It could be that the circumstances being complained about are not exactly the same.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 22, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I have a concealed carry permit in the US, even in retirement.

As you weren’t there, nothing would appear to you in terms of what I did do.

The child was not playing any irritating games at full volume. The child was actually less irritating than the trash metal music being listened to by the overgrown child whose headset was bleeding more noise to my ears than the little U2 child.
Concealed carry doesn't really make sense, at least not the way its proponents spin; uncertainty is no deterrent. The "good guy with a gun" theory gets busted so regularly you can set a Swiss watch by it.

You didn't really elaborate on what you did do, besides spectate.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:02 pm

A majority of Americans did not vote for him
But he still became president despite the electoral college are there to prevent insane people becoming president, and it seems like everyone on both sides in the congress and the senate are to scared of him to give him any real opposition, so he basically can do whatever he wants.

and, if you were being honest, the fact that his type has sat in governments in both Norway and Denmark for decades at this point isn't a winner either.
There have been idiots in all governments, but I don't think we have ever come even close to having someone like trump as prime minister.

Given that he keeps losing court cases I'm not clear on the whatever he likes
He likes the attention. Win or lose doesn't matter as long as he is the focal point. He will find a way to tell everyone he is the winner no matter how big he loses.

but it would be nice to see the back of him
Me too. I actually have a college in US who told me he voted for trump. The reason was he didn't like the supreme court justices Hillary proposed and he didn't thought trump could make that big a mess in 4 years. Boy have regretted his vote many times.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:17 pm

Complaining about the pace of repairs/maintenance of some sort and complaining about the lack of repairs of maintenance of a related sort isn’t incompatible or ridiculous. It could be that the circumstances being complained about are not exactly the same.
Nah. Some people just want to complain no matter what. Some years ago the rail line close to my house were up for refurbishment. It was then delayed a year and another year, and every time the spokes person for that line complained that nothing was done and that BaneDanmark should close the line an do a proper refurbishment instead of the night and weekend closure where they replaced one or two track switches etc. Then one year it was announced in October the year before that the line will be closed for 8 weeks during the school summer break. The spoke person then starts complaining why they can't keep one track open so the bus replacement can be avoided. As always they hid roadblocks during the refurbishment so the last 5KM was postponed to the year after. Now the spokes person started to complain about why they didn't prolong the closure so they could complete the work this year.
Do I need to write that no one really listen to him anymore?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:20 pm

But he still became president despite the electoral college are there to prevent insane people becoming president, and it seems like everyone on both sides in the congress and the senate are to scared of him to give him any real opposition, so he basically can do whatever he wants.

There have been idiots in all governments, but I don't think we have ever come even close to having someone like trump as prime minister.

He likes the attention. Win or lose doesn't matter as long as he is the focal point. He will find a way to tell everyone he is the winner no matter how big he loses.
I think, and I could be wrong, but the majority of the people in this thread are straight white guys. The view is somewhat different if you're not, on the influence and threat of the DFP/DPP and Fremskrittspartiet and SD. I heartily applaud the continued (if weakening) shunning of the reconstructed Neo-Nazis/the very farthest far right in Sweden. The same cannot be said for the others or Hungary, Czechia, Poland, the UK, Italy etc.

The electoral college sadly is not there to prevent loons, as we've had quite a few in the past. A parliamentary system would be an improvement, but only if it used something better than a first past the post system.

All that said, there's an abiding issue on both sides of the Atlantic of not addressing infrastructure investments and options for a broader range of people.

SAS is partly bound by state policy, much like SJ. I haven't seen the figures here but I imagine that the train, even with its short term issues, is a considerable competitor to air for large stretches of the Copenhagen to Stockholm route. NRK, VXO, JKG all used to have service from CPH. Service from Stockholm seems hit or miss on how long it survives, out competed by the train. The Northeast Corridor between DC and NYC (and Boston but still different) has taken about half of the travelers in that market segment, even with the proximity of DCA and LGA, although only the former has real proximity and good connections (when WMATA works) to downtown.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:30 pm

Americans who are or have been resident in Sweden seem to be no more corpulent than Swedes in the Swedish countryside for areas that aren’t further north than Uppsala.

Some North Americans are Canadians or other non-US persons.

For some reason a lot of Swedes think I am Canadian. Even some Swedes who lived in the US for 10+ years. Maybe it’s because I wear shorts in March-October and don’t often use a coat for cooler weather unless it’s November-March.

Complaining about where you live or have lived has more weight and likelihood of taking place than complaining about things which you’ve not experienced a lot if at all. And people tend to complain about what they experience first hand more than about things they never personally experienced.

Sweden has a backlog of infrastructure projects that a certain party no longer in power seems to spend its entire existence denying. Very Trump fake news about it. So things sadly have piled up. At least it's not Germany, where spending even a time traveling pfennig gets them upset, and their railway infrastructure is rapidly becoming like the old British Rail. You couldn't pay me to transit FRA or even MUC without considerable motivation, say sacks of cash. The whole remote stands thing is fine if it is efficient, but FRA often makes transfers subject to more variables than a rodent in Pennsylvania being a weather prognosticator.

Some work can be done at night, some can't and some isn't advisable or cost effective at night. A lot of regular maintenance needs to fit in the night shift already.

SL certainly is aware, it's on billboards and ads that they know people are angry but they do seem to have forward momentum.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Swedish rail has indeed eaten up a lot of the demand for flights within Sweden. But a large part of that is because rail tickets tend to be substantially cheaper than flight tickets and because the costs to get to/from the airports exceed by far the costs to get to/from the rail stations. People would fly more if the cost of the air tickets + costs to quickly get to/from the airports were lower than the train tickets+cost to get quickly to/from the rail stations.

I can’t speak to Gothenburg-Stockholm, but for Stockholm to Malmo/Copenhagen, the most reliably predictable means of travel is air travel. And if air travel goes wrong, the train backup is still an option. But when the rail travel goes wrong, it’s too often at a point from which recovery is much, much harder and more inconvenient than it is when things go wrong for air travel within the region.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 22, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:52 pm

I think, and I could be wrong, but the majority of the people in this thread are straight white guys. The view is somewhat different if you're not, on the influence and threat of the DFP/DPP and Fremskrittspartiet and SD. I heartily applaud the continued (if weakening) shunning of the reconstructed Neo-Nazis/the very farthest far right in Sweden. The same cannot be said for the others or Hungary, Czechia, Poland, the UK, Italy etc.
But none of those nationalist parties have ever become part of the government or prime minister, at least not in DK. They are part of the parliament, but their most radical ideas has never been made into laws or decree like trump is doing over and over and over again. I'm sure you have similar nationalists in the congress and senate who are sidelined. But trump became president and no one seems to dear go against him.

The electoral college sadly is not there to prevent loons, as we've had quite a few in the past. A parliamentary system would be an improvement, but only if it used something better than a first past the post system.
If it's not there to keep insane people from being elected prescient, what is then the purpose?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

If it's not there to keep insane people from being elected prescient, what is then the purpose?
To give power to small/less populous states. To make sure that everyone running for President with intention to wanting to be President knows that people in “flyover country” count too and should get more visits from the candidates who really want to win and not risk a loss.

Taking Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin (and soon Minnesota) for granted is not a good idea. Need to press the flesh.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 22, 2019 at 4:04 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:00 am

To give power to small/less populous states. To make sure that everyone running for President with intention to wanting to be President knows that people in “flyover country” count too and should get more visits from the candidates who really want to win and not risk a loss.

Taking Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin (and soon Minnesota) for granted is not a good idea. Need to press the flesh.
Eh not quite. The Western states, which are truly flyover country, have low populations and mostly no one pays that much attention to their wishes. All of those states are of interest due to population and thus number of electors. Its really a relic of states imagining themselves as sovereign and them casting the deciding vote; electors are only somewhat bound by the votes of the people that underlie their own votes. Electors can, and have, refused to vote for the candidate they ostensibly are representing in the votes of the state's residents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.