Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am looking for suggestions on how best to use 180,000 Coop (Swedish COOP) points. Anyone here with any advice on what to do with them?

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As part of the agreement behind the new government in Sweden, it seems that Miljöpartiet (environmental/green party) has been assured that the tax on flying will be reintroduced in Sweden.
Let's see how that works out, in concept and timeframe.
One way or the other governments love to increase the costs of transportation of most useful sorts, be it high fuel taxes at the road-side gas stations, high personal automobile registration taxes, air travel taxes on tickets, higher public transit fares and so on.

If the air travel tax becomes high enough, CPH may gain even more business at the expense of MMX.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

One way or the other governments love to increase the costs of transportation of most useful sorts, be it high fuel taxes at the road-side gas stations, high personal automobile registration taxes, air travel taxes on tickets, higher public transit fares and so on.

If the air travel tax becomes high enough, CPH may gain even more business at the expense of MMX.
It may also hurt Arlanda, if the tax is distance based, it would make long haul routes connected via Copenhagen more attractive.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:57 am
Suspended

It may also hurt Arlanda, if the tax is distance based, it would make long haul routes connected via Copenhagen more attractive.
Not necessarily hurt Arlanda that much, unless a huge group of Arlanda users are willing to take the risk of using separately booked tickets to try to save some money.

The MP in Sweden have been looking at using the UK APD model to deal with connections and multi-cabin itineraries. I dislike the UK's APD, and even as there are a chunk of us who do what it takes to reduce the amount we pay for APD, it doesn't really shift the needle much overall even as APD collection has increased over time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 12, 2019 at 3:02 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
How does UK departure tax work if I fly London Copenhagen Tokyo, as compared to London Tokyo? Apart from the envy effect of taxing premium economy and up quite heavily, I have never noticed the finer details. Can they actually tax the non UK departure section of a ticket? In this case the Copenhagen Tokyo section of a London Copenhagen Tokyo itinerary.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:10 am

“Duty is charged on each passenger at the rate for the place where their journey ends (their final destination).”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...passenger-duty
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
“Duty is charged on each passenger at the rate for the place where their journey ends (their final destination).”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...passenger-duty
Interesting.

I can't say I am in principle opposed to taxing air travel for environmental impact If, and that is a showstopper if at the current state of things, I could be sure that the money was actually allocated to mitigating the environment impact and it was agreed at a greater scope than one country.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended

The UK APD is just about generating revenue for the government. Any notion of it being used as an environmental offset fee is a joke.

How does UK departure tax work if I fly London Copenhagen Tokyo, as compared to London Tokyo? Apart from the envy effect of taxing premium economy and up quite heavily, I have never noticed the finer details. Can they actually tax the non UK departure section of a ticket? In this case the Copenhagen Tokyo section of a London Copenhagen Tokyo itinerary.
LHR-CPH-NRT has the same UK APD as LHR-NRT, as the APD for the trip is based on trip origin and destination regardless of connections involved on a ticketed itinerary. So yes, they can and do actually tax for the non-UK departure section of a ticket even as the amount isn't calculated on a per-segment basis but is calculated on a trip origin and destination regardless of the segments involved. Some UK airports have had no APD (or maybe even a reduced APD amount), and the distance band calculations for APD amounts are their own form of art.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:02 pm

How does UK departure tax work if I fly London Copenhagen Tokyo, as compared to London Tokyo?
You have to stay for more than 24 hours in Copenhagen to get the LON to CPH APD instead of the LON to TYO APD. Likewise, you avoid UK APD if you book CPH-LON-TYO, unless you stay in London for more than 24 hours.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, GarudaMiles, Qmiles
Questions about SAS EGB

Dear FT members, may I ask you guys some questions?

My qualification period as Gold member is from May 2018 until April 2019.
The expiration date on the card is July 2019.
I’ll flying with Star Alliance airliners within Europe on May 2019.
Can I still get the Star Gold benefits until July or not?

Thank you, in advance.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShyTraveler
Dear FT members, may I ask you guys some questions?

My qualification period as Gold member is from May 2018 until April 2019.
The expiration date on the card is July 2019.
I’ll flying with Star Alliance airliners within Europe on May 2019.
Can I still get the Star Gold benefits until July or not?

Thank you, in advance.
Yes, the card is valid 3 months beyond the qualifying period and gives full *G benefits in the period.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Eurobonus, GarudaMiles, Qmiles
Yes, the card is valid 3 months beyond the qualifying period and gives full *G benefits in the period.
Thank you 😊
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Researching for a vacation flight today I found this absurdity:
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002

Researching for a vacation flight today I found this absurdity:
Discounted business class being cheaper than premium economy class — or even sometimes economy class — happens. It’s an “absurdity” that works for me from time to time.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:01 am

It happens quite a lot. I think it is a combination of Plus being quite popular to the regular Nordic traveler and companies not allowing booking J but rather filling up Plus.

But 2k for r/r MUC-EWR in J is not a bad deal.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm looking at MUC-EWR//IAD-MUC on SK for 1750€ in Z, 1450 for kids. Great prices, cheaper than miles ticket (110k+536€ in M&M on the direct LH flights) and earns ~16k status miles on M&M... plus my nordic wife loves SAS business although she has not flown it for about 10 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.