FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Endelig Fredag -- Thank God its Friday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/527651-endelig-fredag-thank-god-its-friday.html)

larsll Feb 17, 06 5:54 pm

Endelig Fredag -- Thank God its Friday

Another Friday another commute home (wherever that is -- a reasonably relative term). It was quite a nice ride home in the end, no flying in winter Norway without excitement. So here is obervations on a Friday:
  • First things first. The Scandinavian Lounge was out of gin!!! :mad: According to lounge staff this was due to the reseller being out of stock. Of gin? All sorts of it? And wait a second, isn't the store downstairs the biggest tax-free store in the country?! Tommy777, you need to get on the horn to Stockholm immediately (norw: sporenstreks)! :cool:
  • Step back in time; the check-in machines are funny -- atleast when you are flying LH. You can change your pre-assigned seat, but it will totally disregard your new choice and print a BP with the old one! :D (Luckily the pre-assignment algorithm for LH has been fixed and they now give *G seats just behind business class, and no longer as far back in the bus as they can.)
  • Boarding. SGS seems to fancy the group-wise boarding methodology. Over the last few weeks they have managed to add to their "lets board the back first"-message a clause about C-pax and *G being allowed to board at their leisure. ^
  • Snow. What was a 10 minute delayed arrival was a 45 minute delayed departure. :( Will I get home tonight?
  • Fancy planes. For the second time I have spotted an AY Embraer-190(?) at OSL...
  • Late arrivals. Somewhere over Germany I figured out that I would surely miss my FRA-NCE flight. Now how pleased were I to find out that not only did I have straight-through check-in of my bag, but also straight-through crew?? :D So upon landing, some 40 minutes late, I went to the lounge to get my gin (yes, they do have it in the Senator lounges) while waiting for the crew to empty the first 737, change gates and prepare for boarding!
  • Luggage. It made it! ^
Now it is late. Time to sleep.

PS: I read in VG in the lounge that SAS will paint one of their (soon to arrive?!) A319s in legacy SAS livery to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the airline.

tommy777 Feb 18, 06 7:54 am

Endelig fredag to you too!!

My endelig fredag started with SK205 OSL-KRS early in the morning. Was traveling with the CEO for he new company I work for, he always show up at the last moment. I decided to wait for him at the gate, the security line at OSL was HUGE. And as the only capital in the SAS system, we are the only ones not blessed with a fast track..

The boss showed up 9 minutes before departure with gate closing blinking on the screen. He was impressed by me fixing the first row with the middle seat open..

After waiting in line for de-icing, we got on our way 20 minutes late. The flight usually takes half an hour, but because heavy snow at Kjevik airport, we had to circle for 20 minutes for them to clean the snow, leaving us plenty of time to enjoy our NOK 50.- breakfast.

Landed 45 minutes late, no big deal. But it wouldn't stop snowing in KRS..

After visiting our customer service call center, system developers, NOC dept and meeting with the head of the department, we headed back to the airport.

I had a feeling the flight back to OSL would be delayed, and at the airport SK222 was nowhere to be seen... The KRS-BGO flight was waiting for the crew that were passengers on the inbound OSL flight, the CPH flight was also delayed, so the airport was packed.

Finally, 2 hours late, the flight landed and the BGO flight got on its way. We boarded and I could see out the window the Q400 going to CPH was in trouble. It went tech and the CPH passengers had to come with us to OSL, meaning an even longer delay. After packing our flight totally full, SGS decided the flight was too heavy so they had to load off cargo and kick off a couple of ID passengers adding more to the delay. Norwegian comedian, Otto Jespersen was sitting in the row behind me, I think he was as impatient as me..

Finally we got on our way 2 1/2 hours late. We were at the gate at 2130.

Endelig fredag!!!

ksu Feb 18, 06 9:02 am

Originally Posted by tommy777
I decided to wait for him at the gate, the security line at OSL was HUGE. And as the only capital in the SAS system, we are the only ones not blessed with a fast track..

Why should they? Security at OSL is the same for INT and DOM. With the logic leading to the closing of lounges for DOM EBGs ("we are slashing the prices so lounges and EBG privileges are not part of our DOM concept"), why should frequent flyers get any privileges over once-a-year flyers? With the SK logic, EBGs actually should have to wait LONGER in line, as they fly more, and thus save much more money than the once-in-a-year flyers....

Seriously: it might actually be OSL refusing to set a Elite line up. SK had to stop their very successful gate cafe concept OSL/CPH/ARN-OSL/CPH/ARN because OSL refused to give SK dedicated gates for the purpose. And, honestly: usually security lines at OSL are short!

FlyingFinn Feb 18, 06 11:18 am

Originally Posted by larsll
Fancy planes. For the second time I have spotted an AY Embraer-190(?) at OSL...

That's actually an ERJ-170. The few ordered 190s will not arrive anytime soon. An extremely nice plane in its category, I have to add. Even though AY decided to install some extremely thin and somewhat uncomfortable thin Recaro-style seats (think of the non-hub LH 737's and you're almost there).

tommy777 Feb 18, 06 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ksu

Seriously: it might actually be OSL refusing to set a Elite line up. SK had to stop their very successful gate cafe concept OSL/CPH/ARN-OSL/CPH/ARN because OSL refused to give SK dedicated gates for the purpose. And, honestly: usually security lines at OSL are short!

I doubt that OSL is refusing. They have an open security line by the line for employees. The reason for OSL refusing the gate cafe was because of dedicated gates and food.

And security lines at ARN and CPH are also usually short at most times. That's not the point. In the morning there are often lines at OSL and when there are lines, there are huge 15-20 minutes lines, mostly because of morons who don't know how to be efficient getting through.

WHEN the lines are long, there needs to be a fast track and they could just have it open at those times

larsll Feb 18, 06 2:27 pm

WHEN the lines are long, there needs to be a fast track and they could just have it open at those times

Are we back in the petition game?

ksu Feb 19, 06 5:29 am

In the morning there are often lines at OSL and when there are lines, there are huge 15-20 minutes lines, mostly because of morons who don't know how to be efficient getting through.

Of course, having OSL as a destination airport, not my origin, I usually avoid the morning charter departure security rush-hour. :-)

morradi Feb 19, 06 7:44 am

Fancy planes. For the second time I have spotted an AY Embraer-190(?) at OSL...

Hey! I was on that flight, on my way to PEK!:D Still here and having a ball! ^

tommy777 Feb 20, 06 11:03 am

Originally Posted by morradi
Hey! I was on that flight, on my way to PEK!:D Still here and having a ball! ^

Did you get a NOK 200 C seat on AY??

morradi Feb 22, 06 5:31 am

Did you get a NOK 200 C seat on AY??

No, unfortunately it was a NOK 0 Y seat! :D:D (including three nights on an executive floor at the PEK Hilton)

larsll Jun 30, 06 3:06 pm

Another day of mess, so I thought of reviving this "thread of all nasty commuting histories". :) Actually this history started on a Thursday, but as it ended only today I guess it fits in here.

So. It all started at check-in at OSL. I was on my standard OSL-FRA/MUC-NCE route, and as I was receiving my boarding pass I heard from the counter next to mine that LH3145 OSL-MUC was 1:15 delayed. Ooops. Meant that LH4158 MUC-NCE would leave without me. I cancelled check-in and headed over to the ticket counter to find some other solution. Already a serious line was forming as most pax on LH3145 were connecting to far places, and needed a reroute to reach their destinations. The *G card-reader was out of order, so I was told to push the "overweight" button to get the correct priority. After some searching and calling Lufthansa the agent found the route OSL-FRA-NCE, the connection was shorter than the MCT by 10 minutes as well as FRA-NCE being oversold. Anyways she said that if I got there in time LH would offload someone and get me on. So, all set...

... not yet. Just as she got off the phone with LH we discovered that the LH flight to FRA was actually delayed as well. Back to square one. I was back on my original route with a backup confirmed reservation on the morning flight at 0650. It wasn't too bad as LH4148 to NCE was also delayed it seemed.

LH3145 departured on "time" 1:15 after original schedule. Just crossing the Danish-German border the captain announced that the delays where due to massive thunderstorms in MUC. He could also tell that there was a problem with the automatic de-icing, and that we had to divert to DUS to replace our 737-500 as without de-icing it would not be allowed to fly in clouds. Great. So no chance of making it home tonight. Estimated arrival in MUC around 22:30. Considering that the airport had been closed for a while I expected mayhem so I started to think of solutions.

Looking in the LH timetable I saw that LH4160 DUS-NCE leaving DUS Friday morning at 08:55 would be a nice choice. I asked the purser for permission to disembark in DUS and be rebooked to LH4160. I would get to bed at a reasonable hour and continue onwards to NCE at a godly hour. I had no checked luggage so I wouldn't create any extra work. After a little while I was told that a bus would pick me up at the aircraft to take me to the terminal. Two minutes later a new message; "we will not reroute you or give you a hotel, so you will either have to argue your case with DUS ground crew or buy a new ticket". (Later in the evening I saw that LH4160 was wide open with my booking class B showing 9 or more seats for sale...) :mad:

So after a reasonable quick A/C change (they were parked next to eachother) we took off and arrived in MUC between 22:30 and 22:45. LH4158 had left gate at 22:21. Without the divert to DUS I would have made it. At the transfer desk there was a huge line (several hundred pax) waiting to be rerouted and put in a hotel. In the lounge life was more civilized as they came around and served drinks in the queue. :D The lounge agents were calm but rather busy. After 10 minutes one came in and announced proudly she had been able to aquire 20 more hotel rooms (oh oh, that means they are running out...). After 30-40 minutes I was given a room. Best Western Hotel Holledau near Geisenhausen. (Geisenhausen? Where is that?)

30 minutes of taxi, 20-30 minutes of check-in queue I was in my room at 1am. :( In theory I had a flight at 0650, I would have to leave at around 0530. Considering the time I called LH and asked for to be changed over to LH4154 at 1045. I was waitlisted and given a confirmed reservation at 1300. Good. Sleep. Atleast I tried. The air condidtion didn't work. Opened the window and fell asleep with the Autobahn as ambient noise.

Woke up, went to the airport, found the First Class check-in. Was told that I was still waitlisted (huh, doesn't these things clear overnight for SENs?), and was also told that it didn't look too good as the plane was full. I complained and said that when SENs are abandoned they are always allowed on, and that some other pax is sacrificed. Well, no, obviously not. But the check-in agent offered me to buy a C seat. :confused: :confused: Buy? Ticket? Me? Non! I told him that I did not stay in Geisenhausen for fun, and if I'd be happy to be on the 0650 if they had put me up somewhere near. When they chose to drive me to Ingolstadt and give me 3 hours of sleep I would assert the right to change flights without loosing status as abandoned. After some hefty clickety-click on the terminal a C boarding pass came out. I guess I won...

Arrived in NCE at 12:30... only 14 hours delayed...

(A letter will go to LH Customer Relations complaining about the lack of support in DUS. One less pax in MUC would have helped them, and it would have made my life a whole lot more comfy...)

miikka Jun 30, 06 3:43 pm

Reminds me why I am paying for premium travel insurance. Of course I haven't actually seen it in action because it seems to protect me too well :)

Good to know that in the end you finally reached your destination. Quite amazing how LH reacted in numerous situations with you.

larsll Jun 30, 06 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by miikka
Reminds me why I am paying for premium travel insurance. Of course I haven't actually seen it in action because it seems to protect me too well :)

Good to know that in the end you finally reached your destination. Quite amazing how LH reacted in numerous situations with you.

First problem is that travel insurance doesn't cover most of these issues. They don't stand in line for you, and at that hour I suspect I wouldn't have been able to find a hotel... Naturally I could have disembarked in DUS and argued and/or paid my way home. I have several travel insurances + employer that would cover the hotel, but an extra C class OW fare would have been a bit stiff.

Overall I am not really angry at LH, bad weather happens, tech happens, tourist season happens. So I don't really bother a bit of queueing when I see that all stations are manned and they try all they can.

Two points of improvement:
  • Someone in DUS should have seen what was going on and authorized my proposed reroute. It is all about tearing down the pyramid and making the best out of the situation.
  • Priority hotel for priority pax. Placing 20 SENs halfway to Ingolstadt is not a very good PR stunt. Keeping some nearby hotels ready would have been a good idea. It is not as if it came as a surprise we lost our connection. Computers my dear Wolf, computers...

SGS in all this did a good job. I saw several agents at the ticket desk really working hard to find alternate paths for LH pax, routing via here there and everywhere to minimize the time lost when the easiest would have been to ship folks off to MUC and sort it out there. ^

Gnopps Jun 30, 06 5:31 pm

Just crossing the Danish-German border the captain announced that the delays where due to massive thunderstorms in MUC. He could also tell that there was a problem with the automatic de-icing, and that we had to divert to DUS to replace our 737-500 as without de-icing it would not be allowed to fly in clouds.

It is in those cases I'm glad I'm flying an airline where you can order an extra beer :-)

larsll Jun 30, 06 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps
It is in those cases I'm glad I'm flying an airline where you can order an extra beer :-)

Even worse... I had a rental car waiting in NCE. So as long as there was hope (which didn't really go away until touchdown MUC) I had to stay sober... :(

LH did four rounds of drinks though... ^