FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   JOIN IN: Letter to SAS - Suggesting an Improved Economy Class Product (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/443814-join-letter-sas-suggesting-improved-economy-class-product.html)

jacob_m Jul 1, 2005 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
Well, this isn't really a EuroBonus issue, but rather an SAS issue, and should really be dealt with by the customer relations department. So if you've sent it to EuroBonus, I suspect it's been forwarded...

I sent it to the customer relations department in Stockholm, the e-mail address on the first page of this thread.
My point was that, in case they forward it, SAS UK are normally very quick (both regarding Eurobonus and general enquiries).
But I would naturally prefer to get the response from the HQ in Frösundavik rather than from a local officer/manager in the UK.

Point_Chaser Jul 1, 2005 11:06 am

I don't know if it's me being overly optimistic, but I do sense a general positive tone in the messages received... It feels like there is more than the usual template answer about the changes bla bla... I do believe that they have received quite a bit of feedback about the changes, and I hope that they take our petition seriously as there is a certain weight from us and they know about FlyerTalk. Or what do you guys think? The latest introduction of new fare structure in Europe has been delayed, they've seen the criticism bmi has received from their future changes, they see that they will lose out in the LCC segment due to the future strength of Sterling + Maersk (+ probably some other Scandinavian LCC such as Norwegian or FlyMe), so maybe just maybe will they have a positive surprise for us?

Oh well... This is probably just me having a glimmer of hope now that I'm sitting here in Stockholm on a Friday with the sun that has just decided to peek out of the skies if only just for a second! :)

Kevin Crew Jul 4, 2005 10:42 am

Got my reply today:

Kjære ....

Tusen takk for ditt engasjement og for at du har tatt deg tid til å sende oss konstruktive innspill. Jeg ser at vi har mottatt flere likelydende henvendelser og vi videresender disse kommentarene og forslagene til berørte avdelinger.

Ha en riktig god sommer!

In essence she is thanking for the constructive critisism and then says that they have received them from several people. Good news is that they are definitely recognising that there is a certain volume of people behind this petition.

galaba Jul 4, 2005 10:59 am

Received this last week:

Dear galaba.

I would like to thank you for your e-mail sent to our management that I have been asked to answer. The management is aware of the contents of your comments.

Our new concept and product on SAS European routes are tailored to our customers preferences. We have made these changes based on customer preferences that have been identified by extensive market research. Our new range of products with three different levels on service enables you to choose the level of service that matches your travel priorities.

Not all our customers want to travel at the lowest possible cost. But still we offer Economy Class tickets and also you can buy one-way Snowflake tickets with fares 65-90% lower than Business Class tickets.

Some of our passengers are willing to pay a little more for value efficiency highest, but prices are still up to 20% lower than Business when travelling on Economy Flex.

Approximately 20% of our customers still demand and value our Business Class concept where comfort is top priority.
It can be difficult to reach the taste of each and every passenger, but we do hope to have reached broadly. Adjustments will be made a long the line, and we still will keep on listening to our customers viewpoints. We wish to assure you of our concern and all remarks, viewpoints and constructive criticism will be carefully considered, and will help us to continually improve our service.

I have sent your comments and your recommendations to our Pricing Department where they will be taken into consideration upon changes or adjustments to our concept.

We are very grateful that you have taken the time to express your viewpoints, which may well be shared with many of our customers who have not been able to write to us. Both positive and negative comments from our passengers help us to pinpoint area of our operation, which may require our attention and possible review.

Allow us once again to thank you for your loyalty, we sincerely appreciate it, and we hope that we can keep the relationship between us, despite your viewpoints on our strategy.

I wish you a pleasant summer.

Best regards
Gitte Gyalokay
Customer Relations/CPHSK

jacob_m Jul 6, 2005 5:40 am

I received my reply to day, surprisingly by mail even though I sent them an e-mail.
Actually I'm positively surprised, the letter was very short and straight to the point, no unnecessary junk about how good the product is etc which I appreciated.

I was thanked for my opinions and rest assured the comments were taken very seriously.
In the next sentence she (a customer relations supervisor) wrote they are currently revising the European product (not sure if that's the best translation of "Europaerbjudande", but I try to be optimistic) and we will be able to see what's going on on the SAS webpage and through other information channels.
Finally she wrote the comments have been forwarded to the management.

Point_Chaser Jul 6, 2005 6:40 am

Originally Posted by jacob_m
In the next sentence she (a customer relations supervisor) wrote they are currently revising the European product (not sure if that's the best translation of "Europaerbjudande", but I try to be optimistic) and we will be able to see what's going on on the SAS webpage and through other information channels.
Finally she wrote the comments have been forwarded to the management.

I really hope that customer views have been taken into consideration! I understand that they have received quite a massive amount of views on the product they've currently got from what I've understood from cabin crew and also customer service representatives. I'm still hoping that the delay of the presentation of the new product (supposed to have been unveiled 15JUN) means that they are changing it to the positive..! One can always hope, right?! ;)

tommy777 Jul 6, 2005 9:40 am

I flew MAN-CPH today (MD 87). There were only 3 rows of C and 2 rows of Economy Flex. P-Class started at row 6!!

Is that a good sign or just the summer loads making them change their configuration?

Andrius Jul 6, 2005 9:45 am

Sent mine by e-mail today. Better late than never (sorry was spending money on air travel in the past two weeks and had no time for FT...)

Point_Chaser Jul 6, 2005 10:17 am

Now during summer I wouldn't expect very high loads up front, but quite good loads in the back... During the past week I've experienced P class from row 5 a few times but also from row 10 with solid loads in C and Flex... Depends very much on time and day now during the summer! Wait another week or two and there won't be more than a couple of people in the front (except for all the op-ups)!

larsll Jul 6, 2005 10:29 am

Originally Posted by tommy777
I flew MAN-CPH today (MD 87). There were only 3 rows of C and 2 rows of Economy Flex. P-Class started at row 6!!

Is that a good sign or just the summer loads making them change their configuration?

Ex-MAN I have seen this many times on MAN-OSL. I think it depends on which routes the machine is flying that day, and if they expect to have to change the configuration multiple times. Esp. changing headrests can be time-consuming on a short turn-around. I'd rather prefer they use two dividers like AF do, as you can change them around in matter of seconds. Now I think they go lazy if they see there is enough space in the already configured P-class for the ones going in there.

There is no other explanation to the "fixed" setups, as it is my impression is that the seat configuration is confirmed just before check-in opens, and that it is not altered after this. (I have seen people been op-uped into E+, something which shouldn't be necessary...)

tommy777 Jul 6, 2005 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by larsll
Ex-MAN I have seen this many times on MAN-OSL. I think it depends on which routes the machine is flying that day, and if they expect to have to change the configuration multiple times. Esp. changing headrests can be time-consuming on a short turn-around. I'd rather prefer they use two dividers like AF do, as you can change them around in matter of seconds. Now I think they go lazy if they see there is enough space in the already configured P-class for the ones going in there.

There is no other explanation to the "fixed" setups, as it is my impression is that the seat configuration is confirmed just before check-in opens, and that it is not altered after this. (I have seen people been op-uped into E+, something which shouldn't be necessary...)

Makes sense. They didnt change all of the headrest covers, only the first row was white. But they have a new sign that is on top of the last row of Economy Flex, it says Economy Class behind this row, on the back Economy Flex forward of this row or something. That sign should be easy to move around.

I dont travel CPH-MAN that much, my first time this year. Im just used to OSL-LHR where P-Class always starts in row 15 no matter how many pax there are in C and Economy Flex, at least the 20-30 times I have travelled this route this year.

LHR Tim Jul 13, 2005 3:02 am

Originally Posted by tommy777
...OSL-LHR where P-Class always starts in row 15 no matter how many pax there are in C and Economy Flex...

Easy reason for this: This is where the seat pitch is miserable (basically anything behind the exits on a 737. So that way you get the full punishment: No food, No drink, and very tight seating.

larsll Jul 13, 2005 3:06 am

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Easy reason for this: This is where the seat pitch is miserable (basically anything behind the exits on a 737. So that way you get the full punishment: No food, No drink, and very tight seating.

Not sure if it is applicaple to all 737s, but they also tend not to have the "fancy" headrests back there... :(

Gnopps Jul 22, 2005 5:02 am

Reply from Finland

I recieved my reply this wednesday:

Dear Mr. PappaG,

Thank you for your E-mail dated 16 June expressing your disappointment regarding the SAS new Three Class concept, as introduced on the 31st of October last year. We apologize for our exceptionally late reply.

It has been decided to adopt the Three Class concept on board our aircraft on European routes in an increasingly competitive market with substantially lower fares than offered in past years, with perhaps the most prominent change being the charge for food in Economy Class.

According to our research more than 50 per cent of our customers make their decision of buying the air ticket based on the price. Thus we have to have a competing product on the market to cope with the low cost companies, specially in the sector of leisure traveling.

For our business customers travelling in economy, we have launched the Economy Flex class, where a cold meal is included in the ticket price. In addition they can check in at the business desk and have access to fast lane for security check in Arlanda and Copenhagen. The Business class has been improved in the same connection as per the catering services and more spacious seating on board. Also the lounge services are included in the business class ticket.

In this sense our customers can choose between different services and pay only for the needed entity. The change does not concern Blue1, who continue with the two-class concept, where the service is included also in the economy class tickets. Based on the above three-class concept, the EuroBonus point table has been renewed accordingly.

We wish you find for yourself the most suitable alternative from our wide range of price categories. The ticket is a transport agreement from point A to point B. all other service is extra. Depending on the price level the booking class has different rules, the most significant ones being changability and including or excluding the meal.

Your comments and constructive criticism are very important to us in the new venture and are greatly appreciated. We have registered your feedback for our internal follow-up and forwarded it to the knowledge of our marketing and Inflight management.

You also brought up the matter of upgrade of our EuroBonus Gold and Silver members. We sometimes face the situation that the economy class is heavily overbooked, when our frequent fliers are the first ones to be upgraded.

Once again, we thank you taking your time to write to us. We would be happy to welcome you onboard SAS and partners soon again.

With kind regards

-
Customer Relations Deputy Manager/HELSK

Blue1
Rahtitie 3
P.O. Box 168
FI-01531 Vantaa, Finland

www.blue1.com /www.sas.fi/www.star-alliance.com

SAS Group Company

Point_Chaser Jul 22, 2005 5:43 am

Originally Posted by PappaG
I recieved my reply this wednesday:

Excuse me, but this must be one of the worst responses I've read... First of all - a reply after one month is not good to begin with, and then you would think that you would get a better and more well thought through response... It's almost as if a computer program just spat out suitable responses and it was copied and pasted. We are very well aware of why it was done and what the products are like (we are after all frequent travellers), but we are expressing our views on these decisions and questioning the strategy... A more constructive response to the constructive criticism could be desired! :rolleyes:

Oh well... Looking forward to the 20AUG SAS/EB/FT do at ARN when I guess we can get a bit more in depth response and a better chance to ask follow up questions. :)