Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Cigarettes at CPH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Buying Cigarettes at CPH

Dear All

I wonder if any of you SAS / CPH Airport Regulars could help me out with a little information? Can one buy normal price cigarettes (i.e. Not Duty Free) in 200 cartons at CPH? If so, how much do they cost in DK? I am due to be there next week and ask as in Germany the airports carry normal price cigarettes, as they are much cheaper than in the UK!
Thanks in Advance!
dgcS
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:44 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Cigarettes are also very expensive in Denmark, just like UK. I do not know the current price levels. Both countries lack the Euro for easy price comparison
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:14 am

Programs: SAS
The price for a pack of cigarettes is around 30kr/4euro/2.75Ł . Don´t know if you can buy a "taxed" carton from the tax free shops - but if you can`t , it won`t be a problem to buy cigarettes from the "Global News and Books" shop.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:22 am

Programs: SAS
duplicate post - sorry

Last edited by cph_flyer; Sep 1, 2004 at 12:41 am
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cph_flyer
The price for a pack of cigarettes is around 30kr/4euro/2.75Ł . Don´t know if you can buy a "taxed" carton from the tax free shops - but if you can`t , it won`t be a problem to buy cigarettes from the "Global News and Books" shop.
Wow - in the UK the price is now around GBP4.70 for a packet of 20.

See the graph here:
http://www.the-tma.org.uk/statistics...EU_Average.htm

Last edited by House; Sep 1, 2004 at 2:01 am
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:12 am

Programs: UA *G MM
The duty free store does have taxed booze for sale. They use a green (tax free) and blue (intra-Eu) coding system and has taxed booze for sale in the blue section. I didn't notice taxed cigarettes. Even if I did smoke the duty free prices are higher than what the local shops charge in Virginia. (Duty free but not profit free, as they say. That's especially ironic if you travel ex IAD.)

I would guess that DKK 30 is for domestic brands. Expect to pay slightly more if you don't have the lungs for Prince or Cecil.

The Danes reduced the taxes on cigarettes last fall to combat smuggling. In fact this link suggests that smugglers have shifted their focus to the UK market where it is more profitable:
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/art...rticleID=85219

This link indicates that the price dropped by about DKK 4 per pack and cigarette purchases increased 15% in Q1 2004:
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/art...ticleID=166179
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What is criminal is SK's duty free prices on board. I support the addictions of my colleagues and pick up a box of Malboro whenever outside the EU. A selction of prices I paid recently:

Dubai: Jan 2004: $10
LH: June 2004: EUR 18
N.Delhi: June 2004 $14
SK: July 2004 EUR 24
Duty free ARN: 240SEK (not sure)
Duty Free EWR: $24

The same duty paid in Germany costs 41 Euro, so still a bargain... once I imported a carton over the limit and had to pay a 52 EURO fine (26tax+26for being caught) and still the two cartons were cheaper.

Regards Oliver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.