Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Rebooking due to Change Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List

I have a booking that has gone through a schedule change. The original booking is SK1767 on November 26th. It was a morning flight, it's now changed to evening.

Got the email. When I go to to do the change the only thing the site offers me is flights on November 23rd. I can't change the date on the new flight options. It also offers me some truly wacky flights (ARN-EWR-CPH-PRG!) Same results no matter the browser/device.

I called in, The agent confirmed he saw the same thing when on the website. SASs website, when doing a new booking, shows a Lufthansa Codeshare (SK3633/LH1692) as an option. I tried to get the rep to change to that and he said he couldn't. I've never flown SAS before and am unaware of their policies, is it worth to try and call again? Should that be an option or am I stuck with SAS metal since that was my original flight?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Since the flight is more than two weeks away (much more in your case), SK has no obligation to rebook you on itineraries involving other airlines and you can either accept what they offer or ask for a refund.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
This happened to us last year. We had a complex home made itinerary with a non-alliance airline (MIAT Mongolian from UBN to FRA) on a Saturday followed by SK FRA-ARN-UME on Sunday. I knew to allow an overnight atop in Frankfurt just in case of disruption, but about 2 months out SK had a big shake up of the schedule and cancelled all their own metal FRA-ARN services and let LH take over the route.

We were offered a refund or rebooking onto the nearest available date with SK service, which was five days before our arrival into FRA on OM. Rebooking onto LH-metal with SK-codeshare wasn’t available.
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:29 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Fortunately the refund option works really well and really fast and you can just book something that doesn't involve SK.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by gojko88
Since the flight is more than two weeks away (much more in your case), SK has no obligation to rebook you on itineraries involving other airlines and you can either accept what they offer or ask for a refund.
This is incorrect. The two-week limit in the EU passenger rights is only for compensation. The right for rebooking/refund and care applies no matter who far advance the cancellation is.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm
Old Jun 1, 2023, 3:28 pm

I said that SK has no obligation to rebook the OP on itineraries involving other airlines. Technically they don't have this obligation when the cancellation happens within two weeks of the flight either, but there the matter is more sensitive because compensation comes into play, so airlines are generally more flexible.

We can debate the exact meaning of "at the earliest opportunity", but the chances of convincing an airline to rebook to a different carrier this far in advance are slim to none.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by gojko88
I said that SK has no obligation to rebook the OP on itineraries involving other airlines. Technically they don't have this obligation when the cancellation happens within two weeks of the flight either, but there the matter is more sensitive because compensation comes into play, so airlines are generally more flexible.

We can debate the exact meaning of "at the earliest opportunity", but the chances of convincing an airline to rebook to a different carrier this far in advance are slim to none.
Again incorrect :-) The regulation itself does not specify whether or not airlines are required to rebook to other airlines, but there are plenty of cases where various decision bodies have taken this view. Since this is about SAS here is the link (don't use English version of page as it isn't as detailed) to the Swedish consumer body clearly stating you have the right to be rebooked to other airlines.

Again, the two weeks notice is about the right to compensation only, not the right to rerouting, care, refund, etc.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:45 am

Fair enough, happy to be corrected on this matter. I hope the OP will let us know the outcome
Gnopps likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.