Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS London to Tokyo Economy & Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold

Hi, I am a BA gold member but due to demand and pricing I have booked a flight from London to Tokyo (via Copenhagen) in Economy end of March.

I wanted to ask some questions:

- Is there anyway I can get lounge access? (Other than paying extra - I assume I could use my AMEX but I’m talking about SkyTeam lounge access).
- What is Economy on SAS like?
- What are the good seats in Economy on the A350?
- If I bid on an upgrade what is the chance of success; it says minimum bid is 700 Euros.

Anything else I need to know about SAS and the experience?
Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
No lounge that you can use with your BA status. SAS do sell access to their lounges but it isn't worth it.

Not flown SAS long haul. On the short LHR-CPH route at least you'll get free tea or coffee and can buy anything else.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Long-haul you will receive in Go a meal and a (small) breakfast, one complementary non-alcoholic beverage and a bottle of water ( half liter). Tea and coffee are always free as well.

On seats I cannot recommend anything, it is down to personal preference.

On the upgrade bid, 700 EUR is a lot of money if it was Go to Plus (= premium eco). If it is Go to business the deal can be ok, neither particularly cheap nor expensive.

There would be no complimentary lounge access for passengers travelling in SAS Go in Copenhagen. You would need to purchase it.

Last edited by herwig; Feb 19, 2023 at 3:08 pm
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:39 pm

Definitely won't have Skyteam lounge access, as SAS is a part of Star Alliance
Tomas E likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I still have very serious doubts that SK will actually resume flying the Copenhagen Tokyo route end of March, looking at the current minimum pricing in excess of 1000 euro per leg kind of indicates that they are not actually interested in selling the seats, and just waiting for a formal decision to cancel the flights.

That being said, SK go long haul is pretty abysmal from a soft product perspective. I would at least try a bid to premium economy, branded as Plus. Though 700 euro would be way excessive for that upgrade. Even the J upgrade would be kind of steep at 700 euro.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:10 am
Original Poster

CPH-Flyer Are you saying the flights might not happen? and there are no flights now?

As for the pricing - more than 1000 Euros each way is about right - BA charges Ł1200-1600 one way. As this is my confirmed flight to cover me if my BA staff travel is too busy I really hope that it doesn't get canceled...
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
CPH-Flyer Are you saying the flights might not happen? and there are no flights now?

As for the pricing - more than 1000 Euros each way is about right - BA charges Ł1200-1600 one way. As this is my confirmed flight to cover me if my BA staff travel is too busy I really hope that it doesn't get canceled...
2000+ euros return for an economy flight is rather expensive. If you book it as a stand alone one way, it is 2289 euro. Those are pricings set to discourage bookings, and to afford to rebook if people actually book. I really don't think SK will start to fly at the end of March. The SK Tokyo flights have not operated since Putin's war in Ukraine started.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Whilst you may be right about the flights happening or not the pricing is exactly in line with every other airline for March to Tokyo.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on these flights happening? What would be my options if they are cancelled?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SAS usually doesn't set up any reprotections for schedule changes. Since this will be a schedule change and not a short notice irreg, other *A partners will not take SAS pax without a prior reprotection agreement. Long story short, SAS will only offer to refund if they don't (re)start the route.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
There were reports of other schedule changes made (US bound) linked to the restart of HND, which indicated that it would go ahead as planned. I am not sure if anything has changed, but can see why CPH-Flyer is doubting it. The hard truth is, we will only know once SK decides, and if competition is similarly priced I am not sure that gives much indication. Regardless, SK Y is presumably pretty dire, but then again - isn't Y on any airline?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
There were reports of other schedule changes made (US bound) linked to the restart of HND, which indicated that it would go ahead as planned. I am not sure if anything has changed, but can see why CPH-Flyer is doubting it. The hard truth is, we will only know once SK decides, and if competition is similarly priced I am not sure that gives much indication. Regardless, SK Y is presumably pretty dire, but then again - isn't Y on any airline?
Main reason I am doubting is that this pricing level has been around for a while, also while competition was priced a lot lower. I can of course be wrong, but even random dates in May starts at 2500 euro return in Y.

When they actually operated the flight during the pandemic as the schedule got updated it always ended up being on A330s.

Should be interesting to see if it comes back, and whether it comes back with an A350 or A330.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
AY is able to avoid Russian air space with their A350, SK should be able to do the same.

The lounge in CPH is really not nice, it's a lot worse than the *A lounges at LHR or HND.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Spinstorm
Hi, I am a BA gold member
You would need to be a Star Alliance Gold member. One world would not help you here at all

SkyTeam is a third network where KLM, Air France etc. are members, that will not help you here.
I'd try to get a Premium Economy upgrade, they are really good on SAS on the A350.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I maybe could status match with a Star Alliance airline perhaps. Lounges aren't my main concern though.

I have booked this flight as I want to go to Tokyo - if they cancel it, I will be in a position where any alternative flight will be even more expensive.
What sort of time frame for cancellation are we talking about? It shows A350 as the operating aircraft.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
AY is able to avoid Russian air space with their A350, SK should be able to do the same.

The lounge in CPH is really not nice, it's a lot worse than the *A lounges at LHR or HND.
Yes, of course SK is capable of flying around Russia. Question is if they are willing to operate with the higher costs of doing so. That's my reason for doubting their intention. How many billions of SEK did they loose in the last quarter?
nacho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.