Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

International-to-international Connection tips at SFO from SK935

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International-to-international Connection tips at SFO from SK935

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
So our connection was quite terrible.
  • Arriving on SK935 to SFO on Saturday evening, we landed in the longest immigration line I have ever seen in US. It extended way beyond the immigration hall. It did not help we arrived 10 minutes ahead of time.
  • There was no provision, path, or any willingness from the staff to help short connections, neither from the airlines nor from the immigration hall folks. We had to cut an enormous line, which was very stressful; squeezing through a very crowded hall.
  • There was no arrival hall bag drop for NZ. The connecting flights bag drop only accepted UA bags.
  • There was no bag drop in the departure hall for NZ. The check-in counters have been already closed, despite about 10 persons connecting between SK935 and NZ7. In general, I found this miserable on behalf of NZ.
  • After quite some stress, and a lot of running through terminals with bags, we took our hold luggage through security (luckily this worked) and delivered it ourselves to the aircraft, like in a developing country airport.
I do not recommend the exercise. Thank you all for helping though.
I guess the short connection passes ANA handed out are history.... LAX still does.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Thank you for taking the time to come back and report your unpleasant experience. Glad you made it, but good for us to know it's not advisable.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Glad to hear that the adjustments on the fly to deal with the extra hassle from the US connection managed to work out somehow. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.

Even as I use Global Entry at SFO — and thus get through passport control faster than average at SFO — SFO has had some of the slowest GE lines I’ve been hit by in the last 12 months.

It’s a gamble to count on short-connection passes even if having recently gotten them for a connection for any given combination of flights.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I am going to try a similar exercise on the way back but via LAX (AKL-LAX-CPH). There hopefully the connection time is less of an issue, as we have a ca. 6h layover. We might end up waiting at LAX departure hall for SK to open the check in counter (when does it open?). Folks down here claim that at LAX the connecting flights bag drop should take all bags, not just united, and we should be able to proceed to a lounge. Still these people have experience with other airline pairs than NZ-SK, so I am only moderately optimistic.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I am going to try a similar exercise on the way back but via LAX (AKL-LAX-CPH). There hopefully the connection time is less of an issue, as we have a ca. 6h layover. We might end up waiting at LAX departure hall for SK to open the check in counter (when does it open?). Folks down here claim that at LAX the connecting flights bag drop should take all bags, not just united, and we should be able to proceed to a lounge. Still these people have experience with other airline pairs than NZ-SK, so I am only moderately optimistic.
When arriving at LAX there is a connections flow to the right where exit is to the left after customs, they do indeed take all airline connecting bags (at least all the combos I have tried), and then proceeds to a security check only for connections, which is much better than the main TBIT security. SK check in opens 3 hours before departure, if you decide to go land side rather than connections.
SK2751 and AutismoSupremo like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 19, 2023 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even as I use Global Entry at SFO — and thus get through passport control faster than average at SFO — SFO has had some of the slowest GE lines I’ve been hit by in the last 12 months.

It’s a gamble to count on short-connection passes even if having recently gotten them for a connection for any given combination of flights.
My last two SFO GE entries took less than a minute. SFO International is incredibly busy around the time the SK, LH and other flights land but gets a lot less crowded a bit later in the afternoon. If avoiding immigration lines is important or making short connections KL605 is a great flight to take. I find LAX and DFW to have the more frustrating GE experiences.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
My last two SFO GE entries took less than a minute. SFO International is incredibly busy around the time the SK, LH and other flights land but gets a lot less crowded a bit later in the afternoon. If avoiding immigration lines is important or making short connections KL605 is a great flight to take. I find LAX and DFW to have the more frustrating GE experiences.
I have had enough slowness with GE at SFO for enough of my Thursday evening arrivals last year that I am not going to be using it as much this year.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
With 2-3 flights to US a year, I can't justify the effort of arranging global entry. My experiences of course referred to general entry at SFO.

Arriving with NZ6 late morning with LAX was quite a different experience. There was no line to border control whatsoever, there was (as people write here) a general connecting flights bag drop setup that worked very well and efficiently. We did not find any transfer security check - we were directed to the general one, but this one was also super efficient. The *A lounge was more than enough, rather enjoyable. So the trip back via LAX is recommended.

NB. The amenity kit in SK Business is comparable to the one in UA Premium Economy
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 2-3 flights to US a year, I can't justify the effort of arranging global entry. My experiences of course referred to general entry at SFO.

Arriving with NZ6 late morning with LAX was quite a different experience. There was no line to border control whatsoever, there was (as people write here) a general connecting flights bag drop setup that worked very well and efficiently. We did not find any transfer security check - we were directed to the general one, but this one was also super efficient. The *A lounge was more than enough, rather enjoyable. So the trip back via LAX is recommended.

NB. The amenity kit in SK Business is comparable to the one in UA Premium Economy
Maybe the transfer security only operates certain times of day? Or it is a recent victim of changes....

Just landed in LAX in the morning arrival rush. No rush at immigration though, was in the rental car shuttle about 40 minutes after the wheels touched the ground. TBIT has improved to a constant efficient flow, or the arrival numbers are still pretty low.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's fast. I used to have to wait like 40 minutes to get on a rental car shuttle at LAX. I guess they have finally completed the road work.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
That's fast. I used to have to wait like 40 minutes to get on a rental car shuttle at LAX. I guess they have finally completed the road work.
No, still quite a bit of construction chaos from building the people mover. But now that all the standard taxis, car hailing apps, and ride share apps have to pick up away from the terminals at LAX-It traffic at the arrivals level is much better.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
LAX did a great job at better placing hotel and rental car shuttles and Uber pick ups which leads to far less chaotic pick ups and drop offs. The general traffic on 'World Way' seems to be far less dense and busy than it was. LAX non GE immigration can still be a mess depending on when you arrive, LAX GE immigration is a breeze.

Even at 2-3 entries a year, GE is only 30 bucks each, totally worth it.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
LAX did a great job at better placing hotel and rental car shuttles and Uber pick ups which leads to far less chaotic pick ups and drop offs. The general traffic on 'World Way' seems to be far less dense and busy than it was. LAX non GE immigration can still be a mess depending on when you arrive, LAX GE immigration is a breeze.

Even at 2-3 entries a year, GE is only 30 bucks each, totally worth it.
"Non-Refundable Application Fee
A $100 one-time fee is required with your Global Entry application and must be paid at time of application submission through the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) system. You can pay by credit card or through an electronic bank transfer.

The fee is non-refundable, even if an application is denied."
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
"Non-Refundable Application Fee
A $100 one-time fee is required with your Global Entry application and must be paid at time of application submission through the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) system. You can pay by credit card or through an electronic bank transfer.

The fee is non-refundable, even if an application is denied."
There is also the tiny point of whether you hold an applicable passport. Which is probably limited numbers for the Scandinavian core markets....
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is also the tiny point of whether you hold an applicable passport. Which is probably limited numbers for the Scandinavian core markets....
If you apply right after renewing a Danish passport, $100 last for max 10 years, Swedish passports only last for 5 years which means at least $20 per year. Maybe it makes sense for frequent business travellers, but not every company would pay for that including Mr's ex-employer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.