Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

A321LR Routes Speculation & Discussions [AAL,AAR,BGO,GOT,AAR - EWR etc.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL

A couple of days ago Check-in.dk reported (behind a paywall) that SAS will start a new route from a secondary Scandinavian city to EWR using the A321LR.

Some chatter on airliners.net speculates where this will be and if it will come at the expense of the later CPH-EWR flight.

Current contenders are Bergen, Gothenburg, Aarhus and even Billund.

Thoughts and speculations welcomed.

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Dec 21, 2022 at 4:37 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I believe this has been speculated since SAS announced the A321LR getting into the fleet. Nothing new and unlikely to materialise now IMO.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I believe this has been speculated since SAS announced the A321LR getting into the fleet. Nothing new and unlikely to materialise now IMO.
When I was in BGO last, I saw a poster for a UA flight to EWR - not sure that ever got off the ground, and looks as if the flight code is now used on another flight (was meant to have started May this year, assume seasonal) 3x weekly.

Given that, distance, etc... feels logical to be BGO given UA have clearly made the [marginal] business case for it.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BGO may makes sense, whereas I seriously doubt that there is market for a direct AAR-EWR flight (as CPH is less than 3 hours by train and BLL is 1 hour drive away)
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
When I was in BGO last, I saw a poster for a UA flight to EWR - not sure that ever got off the ground, and looks as if the flight code is now used on another flight (was meant to have started May this year, assume seasonal) 3x weekly.

Given that, distance, etc... feels logical to be BGO given UA have clearly made the [marginal] business case for it.
UA did fly this route over the 2022 summer season, but announced that it won't be returning for summer 2023.
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
BGO seasonally or GOT would make more sense to me for long-haul SK service than BLL. And when was the last time AAR even had scheduled common carrier flights further than say some islands in the Atlantic or places around the Mediterranean?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
BGO seasonally or GOT would make more sense to me for long-haul SK service than BLL. And when was the last time AAR even had scheduled common carrier flights further than say some islands in the Atlantic or places around the Mediterranean?
The 33rd of Nevember
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The 33rd of Nevember
So not in the past, but potentially in a doomsday future scenario for AAR (and the rest of life on the planet)?

Maybe SK's new A321LR's will come with the airline doing more charter flights but those being to long-haul destinations.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:46 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So not in the past, but potentially in a doomsday future scenario for AAR (and the rest of life on the planet)?

Maybe SK's new A321LR's will come with the airline doing more charter flights but those being to long-haul destinations.
I wish they would use their A321LRs for longer flights from OSL/CPH/ARN to for example TFS. Would actually go out of my way to fly them in this case instead of the cheaper, better J service and more mileage earning TAP J.
I guess it wouldn't make economical sense at all, but one can dream!
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
AAL and GOT confirmed

It has now been confirmed that AAL and GOT will have direct flights to EWR:

Extract from the SK press release:

Traffic program
Gothenburg - New York EWR
Frequency: 3x weekly
Outbound (OB): Wed/Fri/Sun
Homebound (HB): Tue/Thu/Sat
First flight date HB: 27 April
First flight date OB: 28 April

Aalborg - New York EWR
Frequency: 3x weekly
Outbound (OB): Mon/Thu/Sat
Homebound (HB): Wed/Fri/Sun
First flight date OB: 27 April
First flight date HB: 28 April

The flights will operate throughout the summer 2023 season and will return for the summer 2024 program.

https://www.sasgroup.net/newsroom/pr...tes-to-the-us/

Svantevit.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Another seasonal adventure from SAS which will likely survive..
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Another seasonal adventure from SAS which will likely survive..
It might. It depends on the princing, but I'd expect they could fairly easily fill an A321 three times a week from AAL or GOT. I guess the city break crowd will only be happy to avoid a connection, the question is if they are willing to pay for it.....
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Hilarious, what a total joke. They could have put the A321s on ARN-EWR and ARN-ORD and then use the A330s to fly ARN-something useful like LAX/SFO/SEA/SIN.

6 flights to EWR but SK can't get me to the West Coast from ARN.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently the market for travel to NYC is a lot stronger than flights to US West Coast...
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Apparently the market for travel to NYC is a lot stronger than flights to US West Coast...
+3 hours time difference and the additional flight time is quite significant, especially for long weekend breaks, and conference and business trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.