New route CPH-JFK (confirmed)

Old Nov 24, 22, 1:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 434
New route CPH-JFK (confirmed)

Blast from the past.
The speculation of possible destinations for the A321LR has been revealed JFK... Didn't see that one coming!

As of February 9, 2023, Scandinavian Airlines will launch a route between CPH and JFK. Five days a week.

SK919 CPH-JFK departing 18:25 arriving 21:30
SK920 JFK-CPH departing 23:00 arriving 12:55 (+1 day)

Erik Westman, EVP & CCO of Network and Revenue management SAS:

"We are very pleased to launch our new route to JFK. SAS offers a solid product to Newark Airport from Scandinavia, and we believe that this addition to JFK from Copenhagen will strengthen the New York offer to our customers. The US is a strategic market for SAS, and we will continue to develop new routes and destinations whenever the right opportunity presents itself".
Stil is offline  
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:11 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 17,032
Rather than running double daily CPH EWR, might be worth running an alternative route for a different catchment area of New York, and for people not requiring connections. I assume this is just moving one of the CPH EWR, not having 3 daily from CPH?
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:55 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 434
It will for sure not be for connecting passengers, there are basically no connections available with *A. It will be for passengers from/to parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island and Westchester County (+Connecticut).
SAS will cover quite a big area in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts with EWR, JFK and BOS, so might be a smart move?

It's apparently going to be Terminal 7 so I wonder if there is going to be a lounge available?
BA has lounges there but they are joining AA in terminal 8. That leaves the AS lounge (its a PP lounge by the way) but they might also leave for T8 (I don't know if they are) as terminal 7 is planned to be demolished (Hopefully not while SAS is still there
Quite a lot of interesting questions up in the air.
Stil is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 2:06 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond, BAEC Silver
Posts: 444
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I assume this is just moving one of the CPH EWR, not having 3 daily from CPH?
Nope - it's a new flight so there will be three daily departures to the NYC area.



Svantevit
Svantevit is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 2:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UME 🇸🇪 / NWI🇬🇧
Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by Svantevit View Post
Nope - it's a new flight so there will be three daily departures to the NYC area.
Or as SAS cleverly puts it in their press release:

The new route enables SAS customers to travel easily from both the West and East side of New York as SAS continues to offer departures from Scandinavia to Newark.
At the end of the day, this is was Anko has said the A321neo allows SAS to do: test the water with new routes that might not begin profitably with a widebody. They seem optimistic enough to schedule an upgauge to A330 later, presumably as the fleet returns closer to full capacity next summer. Starting a new route that can feed Scandinavians (evening departure from CPH = lots of connections on this side of the Pond) to a perennial leisure city break destination like NYC seems a safer bet than launching ARN-YYZ with almost no collaboration with AC, that's for sure.

On another more general aviation forum someone said this wouldn't scare Delta, but I think that misses the point. Despite everything we moan about, SAS has strong airline loyalty in Scandinavia, so if you're not going further than NYC a flight on SAS with EuroBonus points, lounge(s), upgrade possibilitys, and good connections from the whole SK network is going to be more appealing than Delta.
jamesbrownontheroad is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 3:46 am
  #6  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN**
Posts: 44,658
Weird new route to start. The route is super competitive...
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 12:05 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad View Post
On another more general aviation forum someone said this wouldn't scare Delta, but I think that misses the point. Despite everything we moan about, SAS has strong airline loyalty in Scandinavia, so if you're not going further than NYC a flight on SAS with EuroBonus points, lounge(s), upgrade possibilitys, and good connections from the whole SK network is going to be more appealing than Delta.
The only up side DL has compared to SK (flying J) is their Skydeck at their Skyclub with live music in the summer (if you can get in for all the Amex plat with access &#128580 that's about it
Stil is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 5:39 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,579
DL provides premium cabin passengers at CPH with non-Schengen side lounge access, and that’s a positive. It is something SAS doesn’t do at CPH. And after EES goes live/mandatory for most third country nationals at CPH, it’s going to be better with the Eventyr lounge when flying CPH-US than the SAS lounge when flying CPH-US.

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Weird new route to start. The route is super competitive...
Maybe SAS is hoping to try to chase DL off the seasonal NYC-CPH route. I doubt it’s going to fly like that.

I welcome SK’s CPH-JFK route and hope to see fare wars between SK and DL. . Let’s see what family and friends in Queens, Suffolk and Nassau will think about my 10pm arrivals at JFK. [Don’t stay in Kings/Brooklyn.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 25, 22 at 5:51 pm
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 10:02 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,717
Originally Posted by Stil View Post
It's apparently going to be Terminal 7 so I wonder if there is going to be a lounge available?
BA has lounges there but they are joining AA in terminal 8. That leaves the AS lounge (its a PP lounge by the way) but they might also leave for T8 (I don't know if they are) as terminal 7 is planned to be demolished (Hopefully not while SAS is still there
Quite a lot of interesting questions up in the air.
Likely AS lounge. During the short time when United returned to JFK, it struck an arrangement with Alaska to grant lounge access for its business class ticket holders. Maybe a similar arrangement for SK. I would not rely on PP - the AS lounge is not large; it is often capacity limited for PP usage.

I am surprised SK didn't plan for T1 like NZ did, but the reason could be due to limited gates at T1 currently undergoing major terminal redo. My guesstimate, SK would eventually move to T1, as T7 is supposed to be going away soon. T7 may be a stop gap plan for now.

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Weird new route to start. The route is super competitive...
In what ways? Other than Delta, SK is the only nonstop offering between CPH and NYC.
Stil likes this.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 1:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,336
Is SAS now going to be exclusively a TATL to US airline? I wonder.
tr3k is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 2:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by tr3k View Post
Is SAS now going to be exclusively a TATL to US airline? I wonder.
No, Tokyo is starting up in S23. Other main Asia markets PVG/PEK are for obvious reasons closed still. Other than that there are no current Asia routes since HKG was terminated. In a way I think SAS is lucky to have had a strong US foothold, looking at how for example Finnair have struggled last 3 years and now are running flights for Qatar Airways Scandi-Doha to find some use for their fleet.
view is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 4:46 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,579
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad View Post
On another more general aviation forum someone said this wouldn't scare Delta, but I think that misses the point. Despite everything we moan about, SAS has strong airline loyalty in Scandinavia, so if you're not going further than NYC a flight on SAS with EuroBonus points, lounge(s), upgrade possibilitys, and good connections from the whole SK network is going to be more appealing than Delta.
I used to be a pretty frequent flyer on DLs CPH-JFK route, so much so that at some point DLs contractors at CPH used to think I worked for DL. The DL flight demographics then and since were different than SKs CPH-EWR ones with DLs CPH-JFK passengers being a more diverse crowd than SK has on its CPH-EWR flights. SASs passengers on the flights to and from EWR are more Scandinavian on average than has been the case on DLs CPH flights. I guess its a legacy of old habits being sticky and of SAS having a year-round schedule to/from the NYC area.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 4:58 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I used to be a pretty frequent flyer on DLs CPH-JFK route, so much so that at some point DLs contractors at CPH used to think I worked for DL. The DL flight demographics then and since were different than SKs CPH-EWR ones with DLs CPH-JFK passengers being a more diverse crowd than SK has on its CPH-EWR flights. SASs passengers on the flights to and from EWR are more Scandinavian on average than has been the case on DLs CPH flights. I guess its a legacy of old habits being sticky and of SAS having a year-round schedule to/from the NYC area.
The more diverse crowd on the DL route has a lot to do with the Cruise ship traffic from Copenhagen.
Stil is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 5:07 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,579
Originally Posted by Stil View Post
The more diverse crowd on the DL route has a lot to do with the Cruise ship traffic from Copenhagen.
Depending on the time of year, yes. But even otherwise.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 26, 22, 5:38 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 17,032
Originally Posted by view View Post
No, Tokyo is starting up in S23. Other main Asia markets PVG/PEK are for obvious reasons closed still. Other than that there are no current Asia routes since HKG was terminated. In a way I think SAS is lucky to have had a strong US foothold, looking at how for example Finnair have struggled last 3 years and now are running flights for Qatar Airways Scandi-Doha to find some use for their fleet.
I doubt Tokyo is coming back until the Russian airspace is available again.
CPH-Flyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread