Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
SAS has its own lounge at Newark (EWR), which is located in Terminal B3, near Gate 60

- SAS Lounge (access for EBP, EBD, EBG, *A Gold, *A First Class, *A Business Class, SAS Business, SAS Plus)

In addition to the SAS lounge there are also other lounges located in Terminal B3 at EWR:

- Lufthansa Senator Lounge (right across the SAS Lounge, access for *G, including EBP, EBD, EBG, *A First)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge (right across the SAS Lounge, access for *A Business, including SAS Businesss)
The Lufthansa lounges are often overcrowded and they will turn away all non-LHG pax if the lounges are too crowded. Usually after the early departure wave approx. 17:00, the situation improves.

In addition to the above lounges in Terminal B3, there are also other lounges located in the other terminals at EWR, a selection of which is provided below:

- United Polaris Lounge (Terminal C, right after security, access only for intercontinental *A Business, including SAS Business)
- United Clubs (Terminal C, several different locations available, access to *A First (intercontinental), *A Business (interncontinental) and *G)
- AMEX Centurion lounge (Terminal A3, access for AMEX Centurion and AMEX Platinum)

There is a transfer Bus located at Gate 70 to transfer from Terminal C to Terminal A and B
Print Wikipost

SAS Lounge Newark (EWR)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is actually not uncommon for airlines with small out station lounges to reject passengers from partner airlines to try to make sure they have space for their own passengers. While not Star Alliance, BA is quite infamous for this.

In the EWR case here, it would not be about SK not paying but about SK rejecting to be paid for the LH passengers.
I know, the paying thing is more about contract lounges.

Yeah BA was pretty bad about that, I have read that a while back. DL had the rules about no lounge access until 3.5h before onward flight departure or something like that a while back, no idea if it's still the case. Most people don't spend that amount of time in a lounge anyway.

I was at IAD several years back flying United back to Europe, and got into LH lounge. The SEN lounge was packed so the dragon told us to use the business lounge downstairs. It was also very packed, nowhere to sit down but it's still a better option vs UC. I guess we are lucky that we have never been turned down due to capacity issues.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Probably started as SK not accepting people flying on LH flights due to the size of the lounge, and then LH retaliation. I don't know if the Lufthansa lounge is relatively small for the needed capacity, but I guess it is a bit tid for tad over capacity concerns.
Both lounges are to small for their own passengers. SK makes their own problem worse by letting everyone with a boarding pass into the lounges these days, the list of who gets entry is just to long. They should start restricting this when space doesn't permit. Business and Diamond first, then as space allows.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:19 am

But they're advertising it as a feature for plus as well.. and then I think selling it as an add on. And it's made worse by how limited any other options for food are in that part of the terminal. Even the few restaurants get horribly overcrowded.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Both lounges are to small for their own passengers. SK makes their own problem worse by letting everyone with a boarding pass into the lounges these days, the list of who gets entry is just to long. They should start restricting this when space doesn't permit. Business and Diamond first, then as space allows.
Maybe they should do the pruning by removing SASPlus flyers’ lounge access except where SAS has short-haul flights of its own.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:58 am

Wasn't EWR->ARN and EWR->CPH about an hour apart from each other before? With only 20min as it is now (and selling lounge access), the lounge is almost guaranteed to be overcrowded.

I've been turned away from the LH lounge at EWR several times because it was overcrowded as well, long before this policy change.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
That's really bad as the published rule of *A is like first come first serve. Rejecting people based on their flights is just bad. The same goes for AMS lounge not letting EBG/EBD in because SAS doesn't pay for this and that. If they want to do that they need to update their terms or kick SK out of *A if they don't want to pay.
This is the first time I'm hearing about the AMS situation. Does it only apply to EBG/EBD flying on SK, or on any *A flight?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skoeld
I've been turned away from the LH lounge at EWR several times because it was overcrowded as well, long before this policy change.
Yes, and I’ve been turned away from LH lounges at EWR as a UA*G, US*G and probably some other *G status going back even more than ten years ago. Also had SK@EWR reject me and send me to the LH lounge at times when not flying SK out of EWR. They prioritize the passengers flying on their own metal when they think they’ll get too crowded.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
This is the first time I'm hearing about the AMS situation. Does it only apply to EBG/EBD flying on SK, or on any *A flight?
I’ve not been hit by this there, but I think I first heard about this here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...pen-again.html
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I’ve not been hit by this there, but I think I first heard about this here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...pen-again.html
Oh, I remember now Thanks. It seems to affect SAS tickets rather than EBD/EBG, which is a good news for me.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Mind they turn away SAS in the PP lounge at AMS, not in the Star Alliance lounge which is occasionally closed.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Mind they turn away SAS in the PP lounge at AMS, not in the Star Alliance lounge which is occasionally closed.
The linked thread is a report about AMS Lounge 27 turning away SAS customers but AMS Lounge 26/Aspire lounge letting in SAS customers. Lounge 25 is the KLM lounge and doesn’t take PP. Lounge 26 is the Aspire lounge that has increasingly often been rejecting PP customers but takes SAS customers when the Star Alliance lounge happens to be closed. Lounge 27 is the Star Alliance lounge.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:51 am

Right, Aspire = PP lounge.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SK and LH/OS/LX both have two wide bodies each leaving around 6.30-7pm. There is another wave at 10-11pm when the EK flight to ATH leaves at the same time as the ZRH and MUC flight. In summer the late CPH adds to the mix. Both lounges are packed in this peak.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:32 am

Does anyone know the current opening hours of the SAS lounge at EWR? I don’t see it on the SAS website.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:08 am

The EWR website lists it as 1pm-11pm but it also lists it as 'temporarily closed' which I'm pretty sure it's not, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.