Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Booking award flights on SAS website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver

Hey friends 👋

Was just curious as to whether anyone else is experiencing trouble trying to book award flights directly using points on the SAS website?

Every time I try it gives an error saying that "something has gone wrong...please contact us and we will try and help you."

To be fair, whenever you end up calling, they are helpful and book the flights you want. But I have had to do this for the past 10 weeks now. The last time I called to make an award booking and asked the agent about the website issue, they just responded that "SAS IT is aware of the issue" and apologised for the inconvenience. It's just really surprising the award booking feature on the website would be down for this long.

During the pandemic, they just removed the Star Alliance booking option (that doesn't work for me either) it and at least provided a reason. Whether one liked the reason was a different matter, but they were upfront about it. I want to assume the best of everyone, but this starts to feel like SAS has disabled the feature in order to try and slow down the award bookings by hoping that people won't want to call. I imagine that if this were the revenue booking engine, they would have chained IT to their desks until it was resolved. Maybe I am being unfair?

Anyway, are others experiencing this? Or is it just me? 🙂
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is probably about 10 weeks ago I booked a SIN-BKK-HND award on TG J online from SK. Worked like a charm.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is probably about 10 weeks ago I booked a SIN-BKK-HND award on TG J online from SK. Worked like a charm.
Interesting 🤔

I have tried to book something as simple as ARN to BOS and ARN to LHR awards online several times over the past two weeks and get the error. It doesn't matter what device or browser I use (I have tried on two mobile dievices on four different browsers).

But if it is working for you, then I will continue to investigate with SAS why I experience problems. 🙂
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: SAS EBG, Flying Blu Gold, Etihad Gold
If you are looking for pure SAS flights, click here or if it's a mix of Star airlines, click here. The reply you seem to get is mostly popping up when looking for Star awards.
Hafnia likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silferlood
If you are looking for pure SAS flights, click here or if it's a mix of Star airlines, click here. The reply you seem to get is mostly popping up when looking for Star awards.
Hi 👋🏾
Thanks for the direct links.
I already use those links, but I will try them again from a private browser.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
How to book muti-city award? From the site I could see one way or return.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
How to book muti-city award? From the site I could see one way or return.
I don't know, I have not had the need to try from my SK account.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know, I have not had the need to try from my SK account.
I guess SQ is not available for the date you booked?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess SQ is not available for the date you booked?
I needed a very specific date to match plans, and TG was the only airline in Star Alliance or Oneworld that had availability. SQ is not particularly high on my fancy list, so I am not one to seek them out.
nacho likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I needed a very specific date to match plans, and TG was the only airline in Star Alliance or Oneworld that had availability. SQ is not particularly high on my fancy list, so I am not one to seek them out.
I thought SQ J is better than TG J.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought SQ J is better than TG J.
​​​​​​
I do kind of have a soft spot for TG. But I have not flown them since their bankruptcy and restructuring, so I don't know what they are like now. And I am somewhat negatively minded about SQ. Going to Singapore from Japan, I would normally fly JAL. And do have a JAL award for HND SIN on this trip.

Would i have preferred a direct flight rather than the connection? For sure, on (almost) any carrier. Just zero availability for anything else, not just on the SK website, United and Air Canada for *A, JAL and AA for OW, did not have anything else.
nacho likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:53 am

I was also having trouble booking Star Alliance awards the last few weeks. I found that booking using the Euro site worked perfectly. The NOK and USD site resulted in the same error message you mentioned, and also in some cases some strange half-booked reservations (reservation shows up with PNR, but points were not deducted).

Same experience and feedback by phone (willing/eager to help with booking and general apology about IT working on the issue(s)).
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Found my issue

So one of two things happened:
1) SAS IT fixed the issue I was having; or
2) I fixed it myself
But it's likely the latter option.

I use web browsers or privacy-enabled features that prevent most cookies and tracking by companies. What I suspect is there must have been some change in SAS' website code a few months ago that caused the award booking part of their website to break when I don't allow them to track me with cooking or fingerprinting technology.

I am going to look into this some more later. But if other people use things like Brave Browser or Ghostery to protect their browser/browsing and have been experiencing problems with award bookings on SAS, this might be a reason why.
​​​

​​​​
Hafnia likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:36 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
So one of two things happened:
1) SAS IT fixed the issue I was having; or
2) I fixed it myself
But it's likely the latter option.

I use web browsers or privacy-enabled features that prevent most cookies and tracking by companies. What I suspect is there must have been some change in SAS' website code a few months ago that caused the award booking part of their website to break when I don't allow them to track me with cooking or fingerprinting technology.

I am going to look into this some more later. But if other people use things like Brave Browser or Ghostery to protect their browser/browsing and have been experiencing problems with award bookings on SAS, this might be a reason why.
​​​

​​​​
I had issues with the Star Alliance booking tool as well, however yesterday it worked. So I suspect SK IT temporarily fixed it. Today, however, it is broken again. (It is even broken for the Customer Support agents atm).
Old Oct 18, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Last edited by Dachshund; Oct 18, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.