Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

SAS will start to charge for luggage in low priced GO tickets:

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/sas...agageavgifter/

Sorry only in Swedish
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:24 pm

And there it goes... All Star carriers are doing the same crap following LH groups new ticketing.

I don't care about the bags but what they wi do to restrict carry one to collect the bag fee.

And I smell EuroBonus enhancements along the way
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Good to know in advance that it is coming although it is no surprise. Let's see if the pricing is like at most airlines when they introduce HBO i.e. they just remove the checked baggage but leave the lowest price tag as it was.

The really interesting part is nevertheless if they go the LH way and cut in the new fare class also the EB perks or if they do it like Finnair and still give free checked baggage.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:03 pm

I guess they will give EB Elites one free bag and sell it as huge enhancement while generic *G will get no bags for free. Perhaps one of the huge diamond benefits promised for this year

And probably need a new name for that fare class as well...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by fassy
And there it goes... All Star carriers are doing the same crap following LH groups new ticketing.
Actually, NZ were the first ones. They started this a couple of years ago with their "Seat Only" fares for short haul flights.
Both NZ and LH have the following restrictions for the cheapest tickets:
- No free bag
- No extra free bag for Star Alliance elite members

Is SAS going for both restrictions, or just the first one?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:17 pm

I knew about NZ, but they are just far far away for both North America and Europe, so I guess the impact was small. Now with LH group starting that I think all the other carriers have to do the same to keep up.

Regarding the restrictions: I bet both, since the Star Alliance rules have been changed saying you need to have one ticket including flights on two different carriers for the extra bag perk kick in...
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Actually, NZ were the first ones. They started this a couple of years ago with their "Seat Only" fares for short haul flights.
Both NZ and LH have the following restrictions for the cheapest tickets:
- No free bag
- No extra free bag for Star Alliance elite members

Is SAS going for both restrictions, or just the first one?
I had earlier this year a "set only" ticket with Swiss intra-Europe, but the Swiss call center told me, that I could check one piece of luggage free as SK Gold.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
NZ started it all, LX followed with their GVA anti-Easyjet, SN pulled along last year, AC came with rouge, the LX and now OS & LH.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
I suspect this has been in the works for a while. I recall the "always free with SAS" slogan applied to luggage at some point, but that has been subtly dropped recently... or am I imagining things?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by klmml
I suspect this has been in the works for a while. I recall the "always free with SAS" slogan applied to luggage at some point, but that has been subtly dropped recently... or am I imagining things?
It still says so, for instance here: http://www.sas.dk/tilbud/ (in Danish). I guess it'll take some time anyway, and tickets bought before an announcement is made should be safe.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
At first "always free with SAS" included

-meal
-drinks
-baggage
-miles

Now they have removed everything else and lowered the mileage accrual
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by Furry
At first "always free with SAS" included

-meal
-drinks
-baggage
-miles

Now they have removed everything else and lowered the mileage accrual
-newspapers
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
The sad truth is that airlines principally care about what makes them cheapest on the OTAs (corporate and public), and whether baggage is included or not rarely figures. They can then charge you extra for the baggage, so it's a double win for them.

My personal concern is that this will affect SAS's famous punctuality (I remember when they boasted of that, too - that page was last updated several years ago). If everyone goes HBO, it's going to cause some delays, which will either make some tight connections impossible or mean that the schedule will have to be padded.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:47 am

If everyone goes HBO, it's going to cause some delays, which will either make some tight connections impossible or mean that the schedule will have to be padded.
No, they will enforce a strict one piece carry-on policy. Both to prevent people fighting over the overhead bin space and delay boarding and to get the extra bag charge for checking additional items

At least that is what I would do
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
After flying them MUC-CPH-ARN ARN-LLA this week, I'm sad to report SK is pretty much like Aer Lingus now. Only difference being the union labor force.

This HBO thing is just another low hanging fruit, which they have to take to be in line with what the analysts expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.