Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Swedish Consumer Agency opens investigation in SAS post-strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swedish Consumer Agency opens investigation in SAS post-strike

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
To be fair to SK; if MS registered you as a no show on the rebooked flight, it is hardly surprising that the first response will look at the systems and go by the status listed there. You will probably need to get to talk to someone who can override the system status to proceed.
That's why I need to get through to someone who knows how to do that. I elaborated many times and it seems like talking to a brick wall.

They told me to go after MS...SK issued the ticket and they changed the name on the wrong reservation and hung up and the unreachable customer service.

Last edited by nacho; Sep 16, 2022 at 3:38 am
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
That's why I need to get through to someone who knows how to do that. I elaborated many times and it seems like talking to a brick wall.

They told me to go after MS...SK issued the ticket and they changed the name on the wrong reservation and hung up and the unreachable customer service.
You should really consider some legal nudging and/or media attention. I'm sure some Swedish tabloid pretending to be a news paper will happily draw some attention from someone at SAS.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
You should really consider some legal nudging and/or media attention. I'm sure some Swedish tabloid pretending to be a news paper will happily draw some attention from someone at SAS.
I probably will go to the media if my last resort doesn't get me anywhere.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Worked well? For sure. Works well? Not so sure.

Sweden is a lot like Denmark and Norway as being great places for active sub-star performers who visibly appear to be part of the demographic majority and avoid coming across as being "different" from the local Svensson/Svensson-equivalent. It's also a great place for sub-performers and other actually/potentially struggling types if such types can manage to avoid getting singled out and mistreated by or via the administrative state actors. The system works well enough for enough people that it has come with Scandinavian customer service responses fitting into a more consistent/predictable range -- but it happens to be a narrower, less generous range on average and less extreme than is the case in the US, Canada and other high-income British Commonwealth countries. In some ways, I find the Scandinavian responses better than the ones I have gotten in the high-income English-speaking countries. In other ways, it is a disappointment even when well aware of what to expect going into the situations.

If I want good customer service, I'm far more likely to be able to set up a retail transaction in the US to ultimately get it in the US from US counterparts than in Scandinavian countries from Scandinavian counterparts. Even with all the "strong consumer protections" -- that the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian lawyers are more than eager to tell me about when I speak about how consumers problems are addressed in these markets -- in Scandinavian countries it's more about companies appearing to comply than to actually deliver to satisfy customers. In many ways, Scandinavian customer service reminds me of the customer service of the GCC3 airlines once they've got the customers' money and are told about a problem during the trip: do the bare minimum "required".
“British” Commonwealth? No such thing.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s certainly not the Commonwealth of Virginia, of Pennsylvania, of Massachusetts, nor of Kentucky.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
“British” Commonwealth? No such thing.
Well, here’s the Canadian government using the same words:

Originally Posted by Canadian government website
Canada first joined the British Commonwealth as an independent state in 1931.
And on the site’s page where they say “British Commonwealth”, they even have a banner in honor of the memory to their late head of state:

https://www.international.gc.ca/worl....aspx?lang=eng
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, here’s the Canadian government using the same words:

And on the site’s page where they say “British Commonwealth”, they even have a banner in honor of the memory to their late head of state:

https://www.international.gc.ca/worl....aspx?lang=eng
Except most Canadians don't get a day off while some got a day off to honour the Queen.

Back to the topic, any news from the investigation? Let me know if anyone knows how to escalate a complaint to SAS.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:37 am

I have filed 2 EU261 claims (on July 8th and July 25th). Just EU261 compensation. No response yet here.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I was a bit cheeky and tried to resubmit a claim to see if the EU staff would handle it before India CS. Got a quick email saying that they were aware of the previous claim and that it would be eventually handled, presumably by the India CS. So it is a waiting game and luck of the draw, as one of my claims from July 19th was handled and paid while I have heard nothing on the the other, also filed on July 19th. One can only wonder if the delay is based on the staff or the availability to cash.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking about the same and I guess there's no need to re-submit the claims.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by livious
I was a bit cheeky and tried to resubmit a claim to see if the EU staff would handle it before India CS. Got a quick email saying that they were aware of the previous claim and that it would be eventually handled, presumably by the India CS. So it is a waiting game and luck of the draw, as one of my claims from July 19th was handled and paid while I have heard nothing on the the other, also filed on July 19th. One can only wonder if the delay is based on the staff or the availability to cash.
How soon after resubmitting the claim did you get the feedback indicating that they had flagged it as a repeat claim, and at what time of the day — local Swedish time — did the feedback come back?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
How soon after resubmitting the claim did you get the feedback indicating that they had flagged it as a repeat claim, and at what time of the day — local Swedish time — did the feedback come back?
Submitted local Swedish time (morning) and got a response within a few hours. Name sounded European and not Indian.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by livious
Submitted local Swedish time (morning) and got a response within a few hours. Name sounded European and not Indian.
I’m not up-to-date on whether CSRs in India are as still “Europeanizing”/“Anglicizing” names as often as they used to try 10-20 years ago when they were dealing with customers in the US, Canada, and the UK-IRL CTA, but I think it’s not as common in my contacts with Indian contact centers as it used to be. So it’s probably a non-Indian contact center. Sounds like a good time of the day to try get quicker responses. July 19th was a Tuesday.

Here’s a list of names of some former Indian Members of Parliament whose names sound European but are Indian: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angl..._the_Lok_Sabha ..
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not up-to-date on whether CSRs in India are as still “Europeanizing”/“Anglicizing” names as often as they used to try 10-20 years ago when they were dealing with customers in the US, Canada, and the UK-IRL CTA, but I think it’s not as common in my contacts with Indian contact centers as it used to be. So it’s probably a non-Indian contact center. Sounds like a good time of the day to try get quicker responses. July 19th was a Tuesday.

Here’s a list of names of some former Indian Members of Parliament whose names sound European but are Indian: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angl..._the_Lok_Sabha ..
If they are from Goa they have Christian names too.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:30 am

Names are... kind of arbitrary... a lot of my contacts in China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, India and a lot of African nations do use English (Christian) names if they have any business with Europeans or Americans.

Some are rather creative in finding a good match like Charlene for Sha Li but others just pick up any name from a western TV show they like.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by fassy; Sep 23, 2022 at 9:58 am
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:03 am
Suspended

i wouldn’t be surprised if Tuesday morning contact efforts may be a better way to go for a better response than a Friday afternoon contact effort.

Have to ask someone in the Swedish contact center business if he has employees in Sweden who Swedish-ize names for customer contact purposes. I would be surprised if there isn’t some of that kind of informal or even formal dynamic going on in a lot of places.

Not only Goa. Goa happens to have disproportionately more Portuguese ones because of its colonial history. And when they do, it’s usually because they identify as Christian or that is really their name.

Of the Indians whom I’ve known to have Christian names, most were not from Goa but most indeed identified as Christian. [The first times I met members from Bombay’s ethnic Chinese community, I assumed most of them were Christian because they had been introducing themselves with Christian first names. How wrong I turned out to be about that, as I even got to observe some upset Indian Chinese parents disappointed about their adult kids going to evangelical Protestant churches in the US instead of keeping the families’ traditional Asian religions.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 2022 at 4:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.