Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Swedish Consumer Agency opens investigation in SAS post-strike

Swedish Consumer Agency opens investigation in SAS post-strike

Old Sep 12, 22, 4:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It is a bit more complicated than just being good for non-academics. I would say the Scandinavia (maybe in reality I mean Denmark more specifically as I might not know enough about Norway and Sweden here) is great for people of all levels who have kids, and want to secure a good life and a stable education for their kids. But there are many other demographics including academics, that does really well from the Scandinavian system. Look at the discussions of student debt in the US vs. Scandinavia, clearly those who become academics are often way better off with the educational system.

Is the Scandinavian system perfect? No! But show me one that is.... On the sum of things, having lived inside and outside of Scandinavian and having friends and family on practically every continent, Scandinavia does come out pretty high on the list of societies that work well. But for each individual case, I am sure there are plenty of examples where people can feel worse off in Scandinavia, it really depends on their priorities and desires in life.
Worked well? For sure. Works well? Not so sure.

Sweden is a lot like Denmark and Norway as being great places for active sub-star performers who visibly appear to be part of the demographic majority and avoid coming across as being "different" from the local Svensson/Svensson-equivalent. It's also a great place for sub-performers and other actually/potentially struggling types if such types can manage to avoid getting singled out and mistreated by or via the administrative state actors. The system works well enough for enough people that it has come with Scandinavian customer service responses fitting into a more consistent/predictable range -- but it happens to be a narrower, less generous range on average and less extreme than is the case in the US, Canada and other high-income British Commonwealth countries. In some ways, I find the Scandinavian responses better than the ones I have gotten in the high-income English-speaking countries. In other ways, it is a disappointment even when well aware of what to expect going into the situations.

If I want good customer service, I'm far more likely to be able to set up a retail transaction in the US to ultimately get it in the US from US counterparts than in Scandinavian countries from Scandinavian counterparts. Even with all the "strong consumer protections" -- that the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian lawyers are more than eager to tell me about when I speak about how consumers problems are addressed in these markets -- in Scandinavian countries it's more about companies appearing to comply than to actually deliver to satisfy customers. In many ways, Scandinavian customer service reminds me of the customer service of the GCC3 airlines once they've got the customers' money and are told about a problem during the trip: do the bare minimum "required".
FlyingMoose likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 12, 22 at 4:57 am
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:06 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD
To get his thread a bit back on track...the first claim was paid today, earlier than they told us. Still waiting on news for the other two claims. Not fast, but I am okay with that considering the strike and the mass number of claims. Let's keep in mind that they did open up a CS in India to handle this..only as opening up a CS in Scandinavia would definitely have bankrupted them
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 9:51 am

Another data point. I had to resubmit a new claim for my children as they were on a separate ticket, so I submitted a new claim Sept 8th. I just heard back today...so 5 days. No rhyme or reason to it.

SAS was again willing to pay the EU 261 comp, but the agent did not realize that there were 2 pax and only showed payment for 1. Will try to resolve this ASAP, but it is clear that the CS is handling this in random order. Still no word on the other claim from July 25th.
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:01 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by livious View Post
Another data point. I had to resubmit a new claim for my children as they were on a separate ticket, so I submitted a new claim Sept 8th. I just heard back today...so 5 days. No rhyme or reason to it.

SAS was again willing to pay the EU 261 comp, but the agent did not realize that there were 2 pax and only showed payment for 1. Will try to resolve this ASAP, but it is clear that the CS is handling this in random order. Still no word on the other claim from July 25th.
Was it only EU 261 you are claiming or with extra lodging + food + transportation?

I chatted with them last week and the CS on chat claiming that they can't see the status anymore.
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Was it only EU 261 you are claiming or with extra lodging + food + transportation?

I chatted with them last week and the CS on chat claiming that they can't see the status anymore.
This was only EU261 as SAS covered the extra costs in our first claim.

Perhaps of interest, the agent had a European name (not Indian). I wonder if they have sent all the strike claims to India while the EU staff handle new claims?!? Just a theory, but I cannot explain how this only took 5 days. Can't say that I blame SAS if this is the case as the strike claims must be a bottomless pit that they should be happy to push to India. Either way, 5 days for a response is quite acceptable for me.

Also, they might have actually agreed to the correct amount (1200€, not 600€) but the wording was a bit awkward. Curious now long it takes for a response, and I will definitely update everyone.
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:24 am

Scandinavian name or Southern European name?

I got an Indian checking all the receipts and then it went silent since. Now my flight to HND are cancelled and I have no idea if I will get any $ back from them.
Old Sep 13, 22, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

I got an Indian checking all the receipts and then it went silent since. Now my flight to HND are cancelled and I have no idea if I will get any $ back from them.
I noticed the Haneda flights disappeared for December and January, I guess then until the end of the winter schedule. I need to look for other Star Alliance flights for December to maintain my Star Alliance status. Would have been easy with a quick SK run to Copenhagen.
Old Sep 14, 22, 5:02 am

I noticed the Haneda flights disappeared for December and January, I guess then until the end of the winter schedule. I need to look for other Star Alliance flights for December to maintain my Star Alliance status. Would have been easy with a quick SK run to Copenhagen.
Called SK and my flights were indeed cancelled. They gave me 3 options:

1. Cancel and ask for a refund
2. Rebook on SK metal for flights after March 28 (I guess they think the war will end on that day)
3. Wait until 14 days before departure and hope they still have an agreement with LH group so I can fly with LH

I picked #1 because the agent over the phone was uncertain if option #3 would still be there.
Old Sep 14, 22, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Called SK and my flights were indeed cancelled. They gave me 3 options:

1. Cancel and ask for a refund
2. Rebook on SK metal for flights after March 28 (I guess they think the war will end on that day)
3. Wait until 14 days before departure and hope they still have an agreement with LH group so I can fly with LH

I picked #1 because the agent over the phone was uncertain if option #3 would still be there.
I am a bit surprised that #3 is even an option... I think that is just he agent being overly creative with the suggestions.
March 28th is the last day of the winter schedule, it just means that they have not yet decided to cancel beyond that day....
Old Sep 14, 22, 6:04 am

I am a bit surprised that #3 is even an option... I think that is just he agent being overly creative with the suggestions.
March 28th is the last day of the winter schedule, it just means that they have not yet decided to cancel beyond that day....
Also, why 14 days? I guess it's when EU 261 started kicking in.
I know about the winter schedule, I'm just joking
Old Sep 14, 22, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, why 14 days? I guess it's when EU 261 started kicking in.
I know about the winter schedule, I'm just joking
Some weird idea about EU261 I would also guess. But as already announced now, that is not a relevant idea....
Old Sep 14, 22, 10:14 am

Some weird idea about EU261 I would also guess. But as already announced now, that is not a relevant idea....
My guess is that they might be able to rebook me through the agreement they have with LH group if I do nothing until 14 days before departure - that's what I was told but he was uncertain if the agreement will still be in place at that time.
Old Sep 15, 22, 8:27 am

Sorry for missing this, but it was a southern EU name.
Further update, payment came on the kids claim...so 7 days from filing.
Old Sep 15, 22, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by livious View Post
Sorry for missing this, but it was a southern EU name.
Further update, payment came on the kids claim...so 7 days from filing.
Got my reply and it was absolutely ridiculous. The name was from the same Indian guy who asked me for all the receipts and they denied everything because SK claimed that I voluntarily not board the rebooked flight which wasn't true.

Chatted online with SK CS and they told me to reply to a no-reply email account, instead I wrote to customer service because it's absurd that to reply a no-reply email address.
Old Sep 15, 22, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got my reply and it was absolutely ridiculous. The name was from the same Indian guy who asked me for all the receipts and they denied everything because SK claimed that I voluntarily not board the rebooked flight which wasn't true.

Chatted online with SK CS and they told me to reply to a no-reply email account, instead I wrote to customer service because it's absurd that to reply a no-reply email address.
To be fair to SK; if MS registered you as a no show on the rebooked flight, it is hardly surprising that the first response will look at the systems and go by the status listed there. You will probably need to get to talk to someone who can override the system status to proceed.

Search this Thread