Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Does SAS check middle names on ticket against passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

We are traveling on Mileage Plus award tickets from SRQ-EWR-OSL and the flight from EWR is on SK.

What is the check-in procedure for this airline? I am concerned because my husband's flight was booked without using his middle name, but the middle name is on his passport. I imagine the United agent at SRQ will print both boarding passes for us, but I am not sure about what will happen prior to boarding the intrnational segment.

I have uploaded his drivers license to United to have his profile changed on his MP account, but wondered if this even could be an issue.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:35 am

Does not check, not an issue. And neither does any airline I've flown, including Chinese carriers that are supposed to by law.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mary_228
We are traveling on Mileage Plus award tickets from SRQ-EWR-OSL and the flight from EWR is on SK.

What is the check-in procedure for this airline? I am concerned because my husband's flight was booked without using his middle name, but the middle name is on his passport. I imagine the United agent at SRQ will print both boarding passes for us, but I am not sure about what will happen prior to boarding the intrnational segment.

I have uploaded his drivers license to United to have his profile changed on his MP account, but wondered if this even could be an issue.
Don't worry, enjoy the trip.

Leaving out middle names on ticketed bookings for SK flights between the US and Europe has never given me any problems. I default to leaving out the middle names as much as possible. Between the ticketed booking's PNR/record locator and the accurate last name, it shouldn't be a problem with SAS to leave out the middle name from the passport when it comes to the SK flights between the US and Europe.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
I'll add my 2c. On all of my previous SAS bookings (both TATL and intra-Europe), not once have I used my middle name/initial to book the tickets. But, after ticketing, I go to the SAS website to add my middle name to the APIS(?) info, along with my passport number, KTN, etc.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Don't worry, enjoy the trip.

Leaving out middle names on ticketed bookings for SK flights between the US and Europe has never given me any problems. I default to leaving out the middle names as much as possible. Between the ticketed booking's PNR/record locator and the accurate last name, it shouldn't be a problem with SAS to leave out the middle name from the passport when it comes to the SK flights between the US and Europe.
Middle names that are present on a passport but missing from a booking don't seem to be troublesome. Multiple first names (one which is never used, and the other is hyphenated), and double last names (with everything being so long that it barely fits on a passport) can be a challenging for some systems. Ask me how I know... ;-)
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Daner
Middle names that are present on a passport but missing from a booking don't seem to be troublesome. Multiple first names (one which is never used, and the other is hyphenated), and double last names (with everything being so long that it barely fits on a passport) can be a challenging for some systems. Ask me how I know... ;-)
In US passports, the middle names are part of the given/first name field. Leaving out the US passports' secondary+ "first"/given names -- many of which are considered to be middle names, but some of which may be considered by the individuals to be part of the first name -- from the ticketed bookings for SK TATL flights isn't a problem. The simple way is to have the first given/first name as listed in the US passports' given name field match the first name in the ticketed booking -- all while just leaving out the rest of the names (in the passport's first/given name field) from the booking at the time. The secondary "first"/middle names from the given/first name field on the US passports don't really matter when flying SAS between North America and Europe and back. APIS data need not be a perfect match to the original ticketed names on the booking ; more important is that the APIS data at check-in time should match what is on the passport at the time of travel.

About how to deal with hyphens, other punctuation marks in names, and other such stuff on passports, I tend to take my guidance from the MRZ in passports for the first name in the first/given name field on the passports and then run the rest for the last/surname field to the limit allowed. Some Scandinavian passports have a sort of bad habit of having the middle name at times included as the last name on the passport; but US passports generally don't have that kind of Scandinavian issue. There are some rather particular ways of doing name things in Scandinavia that don't apply to US passport use.

I'm used to also seeing some South Indian names in conjunction with some particular Latino naming traditions. If there is a name thing to be seen, I've probably seen something like it already.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tennen
I'll add my 2c. On all of my previous SAS bookings (both TATL and intra-Europe), not once have I used my middle name/initial to book the tickets. But, after ticketing, I go to the SAS website to add my middle name to the APIS(?) info, along with my passport number, KTN, etc.
Great suggestion. I was able to add the middle name here. And in doing so, I discovered my first name was listed for both passengers!

Thanks all for the helpful information.

Last edited by mary_228; Aug 12, 2022 at 8:12 am Reason: more detail
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Daner
Did you fly with Egypt Air? I was denied boarding because of the issue.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by mary_228
Great suggestion. I was able to add the middle name here. And in doing so, I discovered my first name was listed for both passengers!

Thanks all for the helpful information.
Yeah that's what I do too - use my first and last name for flight reservations but at the APIS place I put in my full name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.