Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Lounge Options Rome (FCO)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
SAS Lounge Options Rome (FCO)

We fly tomorrow FCO-CPH on SAS, apparently from T1. I don’t see a lounge for Star Alliance listed for Rome - is there one?
We are also Priority Pass members - they have a lounge in T3. Anyone know if it is possible to go to the T3 lounge and then walk to T1 without having to go landside again?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:18 pm

There used to be a pretty nice *A lounge in Rome in 2019

according to the *A lounge finder, it is still there:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
albie likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by fassy
There used to be a pretty nice *A lounge in Rome in 2019

according to the *A lounge finder, it is still there:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
I think the question here were if you can use the *A-lounge at FCO T3 (non schengen) when flying SAS or other *A-carrier from T1 (schengen)?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:08 am

Yes, you can. Not a problem... btw the lounge is in the Schengen part of T3

https://www.staralliance.com/en/star...ForAirport=FCO
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:37 pm

The *A lounge in rome is really quite nice btw. Made to order hot food, bartender and espresso based drinks. No showers and few bathrooms is my main complaint.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by desafino
The *A lounge in rome is really quite nice btw. Made to order hot food, bartender and espresso based drinks. No showers and few bathrooms is my main complaint.
Are there any self-serve drinks here or is it all from the bartender? What is the food like around lunchtime?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Drinks from the barista/bar tender, food from the kitchen, you order with the kitchen staff. Agree this is one of the few really nice Star Alliance lounges.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Drinks from the barista/bar tender, food from the kitchen, you order with the kitchen staff. Agree this is one of the few really nice Star Alliance lounges.
Yes, I visited it in February and it was quite comfortable. Decent wines and OK pizzas, salads and other light fare.

Anyone know why FCO has a Star Alliance lounge, while most other European cities have contract lounges that the various SA carriers sometimes can use? It's always frustrating to fly SAS and see a contract lounge that most of the SA carriers can use but not SAS. This year, I've experienced that at VCE, TFS, LPA and BLQ. FCO was a pleasant exception.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by Amexpat
Anyone know why FCO has a Star Alliance lounge, while most other European cities have contract lounges that the various SA carriers sometimes can use?
There are Star Alliance branded lounges (i.e. operated by/for Star Alliance, and not a "host" member airline) in AMS, FCO, CIG, EZE, CDG and LAX. I have always assumed that's because these are major international airports (all of them 10,000,000+ passengers per year) without a significant Star Alliance host airline, but many member airlines serving the airport multiple times a day. They have all probably passed the tipping point of operating costs versus paying entry fees to other lounge operators.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
There are Star Alliance branded lounges (i.e. operated by/for Star Alliance, and not a "host" member airline) in AMS, FCO, CIG, EZE, CDG and LAX. I have always assumed that's because these are major international airports (all of them 10,000,000+ passengers per year) without a significant Star Alliance host airline, but many member airlines serving the airport multiple times a day. They have all probably passed the tipping point of operating costs versus paying entry fees to other lounge operators.
United does have a quite strong presence in LAX. Though admittedly their own terminals as well where the other Star Alliance carriers don't get to park their planes. But I guess we should be happy that the TBIT lounge did not start its life as a Stained Carpet Club by United.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
*A lounge LAX is operated by NZ.

I'm not sure there's rhyme or reason to why *A has its own branded lounges in certain airports. You could easily make the case for a *A lounge at JFK, for example, but there is none.

Back on topic, I'm at FCO *A lounge right now and it is indeed a pleasant surprise.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
United does have a quite strong presence in LAX. Though admittedly their own terminals as well where the other Star Alliance carriers don't get to park their planes. But I guess we should be happy that the TBIT lounge did not start its life as a Stained Carpet Club by United.
The UA Polaris lounge at SFO International is one of the nicer lounges in the US across the board.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The UA Polaris lounge at SFO International is one of the nicer lounges in the US across the board.
Yes, it is quite nice. And a far cry from the United Clubs of the same airport. United did surprisingly well with the Polaris lounges, but it is a bit easier to deal with when it is restricted to J only. Though even with J only they can get busy.

I look forward to the point where Tokyo gets a Polaris lounge, but supposedly only Narita.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:02 am

Having nice lounges restricted to C/J only is a great solution to mitigating disappointing lounges. I am a firm believer of not doing something if you can't do it right and the open door policy of SK lounges just leads to disappointment, mostly so for its C/J passengers.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 4:28 am

No more lounge in Rome

FCO Star Alliance lounge is closed and SAS does not have any contract lounge. Lufthansa uses the Prima Vista lounge.

I guess we’re left to wait until ITA Airways joins Star Alliance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.