Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
It appears SAS flights to the US were cancelled sooner this morning (8:45) for tomorrow than yesterday (9:45) for today.
What time zone? My family and I have a TATL flight on the 12th. Still trying to figure out what they plan to do.

My flight was canceled this morning (6 July); original flight was ORD-CPH-BCN on 7 July. Auto-rebooked on British Airways ORD-LHR-BCN at around the same time. I called and waited on hold for 1 hr (with the option for an auto callback which I didn’t accept), and was rebooked on LH via MUC in about 10 minutes. This was for a revenue flight. all good, except for the long wait time to speak to someone, but that can be expected as they the CS agents are probably getting slammed.
I hope they do this for me too! I have revenue Premium Economy booked BGO-OSL-EWR-SEA
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Remember that you can request missing milage credit if SAS rebooks you onto a non *A carrier. Getting rebooked on OW or ST is great for double dipping miles in these circumstances, or as a reimbursement for your inconvenience for having to go through LHR or FRA.
GUWonder and livious like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Puppis
What time zone?.
Local Copenhagen time (New York + 6).
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It appears SAS flights to the US were cancelled sooner this morning (8:45) for tomorrow than yesterday (9:45) for today.
I noticed this as well. I am watching somewhat helplessly as family in PDX await news of how Expedia will rebook an itinerary PDX-ORD-ARN-CPH-UME for tomorrow, 7 July. Only this morning, 6 July, was the trans-Atlantic flight cancelled. It leaves them very little time to communicate with Expedia to find an alternative. A simple flight search on Expedia finds no inventory. The best alternative would be with UA, AC and LH PDX-YVR-FRA-ARN-UME, but I'm increasingly afraid they're going to get a really terrible itinerary.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They wanted a blitzkrieg acquisition of the prime assets without the people then? That would be from the company that wanted SAS out of the TATL picture because SAS wasn’t in bed with them on German government-backed price-fixing.
No LH wanted to operate the SAS aircraft for them like EE/WX do/did the CRJ/ATR fleet. What SAS did on the marketing side was not LHs business.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No LH wanted to operate the SAS aircraft for them like EE/WX do/did the CRJ/ATR fleet.
Do you really believe that LH would think that wouldn’t prompt competition concerns and other regulatory concerns with some regulators?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No, the deal they proposed was that EW Scandinavia would be set up and all crew and flying assets would be transferred to the new entity, which would then operate flights for SAS. SAS would do the marketing of the flights and pay the EW entity for operating the flights.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:09 am

The articles talk about 1/2 flights will be cancelled (or 63% yesterday according to flightaware) - is it really that all mainline SAS is cancelled and the half/60% proportion just includes Connect and Link?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by ucla95
The articles talk about 1/2 flights will be cancelled (or 63% yesterday according to flightaware) - is it really that all mainline SAS is cancelled and the half/60% proportion just includes Connect and Link?
Yes, basically. SAS Connect, SAS Link, XFly, Cityjet and Air Baltic operations add up to approximately 40-50% of SK operations.
ucla95 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Advice needed

I had two upcoming SAS flights and need some advice from fellow FTers here:

1. First flight was today 7/6 from OSL to BGO, got cancelled yesterday almost noon and offered a rebook of layover, declined and request refund. I booked on Norwegian yesterday myself. Can I get my Norwegian flights covered from SAS and submit EU261 claim as well?

2. Second flight is EVE to OSL to ARN on the 15th, checked that the same flights on recent three days are all cancelled so went ahead and book Norwegian again, the price skyrocketed from 180-200 all the way to 650 USD past couple days and had to pay for it ahead(it’s now almost $800). What is my next best course of action? Wait until cancellation close to 15th and can SAS cover for my Norwegian ticket plus another EU261 claim?

3. Saw a few posts above mentioning EU261, but read that strike count as extreme circumstances and may not be covered under SAS strike. Is this correct or since they are filing for bankruptcy hence brought back the eligibility?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:19 am

EU261 applies for duty of care (hotel food etc while you wait for your next flight) and the right to rebooking. Since this is a strike you won't get a compensation for cancelled/delayed flights. If they can't provide with an alternative via interlining (Norwegian doesn't interline with SAS or any IATA airline) they technically have to buy you an alternative, which doesn't happen. If you want to sue them to get back the money spent on buying a new ticket you could. Chances of sucess vary.
zoneflyer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Since this is a strike you won't get a compensation for cancelled/delayed flights.
Previous ECJ rulings determined that strike is generally within the control of the airline and compensation applies (although there are some conditions under which it could be considered an extraordinary circumstance, so I guess SAS will try to deny compensations).
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:42 am

I just got off the phone with SAS regarding a TATL J booking. They are cancelling flights at least 24 hours out, and re-booking. I was told it should happen automatically.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
If they can't provide with an alternative via interlining (Norwegian doesn't interline with SAS or any IATA airline) they technically have to buy you an alternative, which doesn't happen. If you want to sue them to get back the money spent on buying a new ticket you could. Chances of sucess vary.
Looks like my chances for recouping the outrageous $650 x2 on DY from EVE-OSL-ARN are slim to none. There is literally no other options outside SAS or Norwegian and I don’t want to be stuck in EVE for additional nights. Highly doubt SAS strike will be resolved within 2-3 weeks. Maybe still worth try to get SAS to cover for my DY ticket cost.

Originally Posted by the810
Previous ECJ rulings determined that strike is generally within the control of the airline and compensation applies (although there are some conditions under which it could be considered an extraordinary circumstance, so I guess SAS will try to deny compensations).
Good to know, I’ll file a claim anyway as many other affected travelers will too.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
EU261 applies for duty of care (hotel food etc while you wait for your next flight) and the right to rebooking. Since this is a strike you won't get a compensation for cancelled/delayed flights. If they can't provide with an alternative via interlining (Norwegian doesn't interline with SAS or any IATA airline) they technically have to buy you an alternative, which doesn't happen. If you want to sue them to get back the money spent on buying a new ticket you could. Chances of sucess vary.
Originally Posted by the810
I think the general concept is that wild-cat strikes are extraordinary circumstances, but strikes as part of the regular contract negotiations such as these are not extraordinary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.