Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Old May 11, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by catbox9
I didn't buy a separate travel insurance policy. I assumed (wrongly) that the insurance included on the American Express Platinum card would cover me because 100% of the time I've submitted any sort of claim through my United Club Card that was even remotely reasonable, they sided in my favor.
A quick google shows that Amex Platinum travel insurance does not coverage disruptions due to labor strikes. Pretty crazy.
Old May 11, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
A quick google shows that Amex Platinum travel insurance does not coverage disruptions due to labor strikes. Pretty crazy.
Yeah that's what they told me. It's pretty much garbage. I don't normally buy travel insurance because I feel like if I miss my trip either something that is my fault happened in which case I have nobody to blame but me, or something beyond my control happened in which case someone at fault will cover me if the credit card doesn't.

Pretty annoying I pay $700 in annual fees for the stupid coupon clipping credit card and neither them nor the airline offered me anything for the relatively significant losses incurred on something that was completely not my fault and 100% the fault of the airline.
Old May 14, 2023, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by threeoh
In this case I believe you are due EUR 300 plus either a full refund or an alternate flight and hotel/meals while you wait. Since you took the refund, probably only due EUR 300.

Fill out this form and wait a few weeks/months: https://www.flysas.com/en/customer-s...s/claim-eu261/
You should definitely file a claim ASAP and they definitely owe you that.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
That's super odd that travel insurance wouldn't cover lost costs due to an airline strike unless it's stated as such in the policy. I mean, airline strikes is absolutely one of the reasons why I buy travel insurance (separate from what my credit card provides)--and it paid $5k in last-minute airfare ($7k minus the $2k SAS refunded me) and hotel. I would appeal that decision since those costs are technically non-refundable and considered a loss.

I'm flying UA to Sweden this summer, and those pilots are pretty unhappy at the moment. I'm bringing four other teens on this trip, and I said buying travel insurance is a must (and they did).
Strike is consider "force majeure". No insurance in Denmark or Sweden covered that. I called my insurer and even EU 261 pays, they won't cover ANYTHING when there is a strike. If you know any US travel insurance that covers strikes and that anyone from outside the US can sign up, please let me know.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Most extended home insurances in Sweden have a travel component that does protect against strikes. At least mine through IF does.
Old May 15, 2023, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Most extended home insurances in Sweden have a travel component that does protect against strikes. At least mine through IF does.
I used to have the storhem villa with If when we were living in Sweden. As usual, the $h!t Danish insurance does not cover that. I think no Danish travel insurance don't cover strike, which is pretty pathetic as it happens so often nowadays.

Last edited by nacho; May 15, 2023 at 4:00 am
Old May 17, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
An unfortunate side effect of previous century political mechanisms that are no longer compatible with modern life and have gradually evolved into legalized blackmail serving the taxpayer nothing but disruption and inconvenience. I don't think the insurance companies are the problem but more so the governments that continue to permit this.
Old May 17, 2023, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep we just had trucks blocking roads 2 days ago in various places in Denmark. Strike is a pan-European problem. Think about how many strikes we had the past 12 months: France, Belgium, Germany (it's not even totally done), SAS pilots last summer, NHS workers, UK teachers and nurses. Sweden may have a train conductor strike.

I can understand a sudden walk out is counted as force majeure but a planned strike?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.