Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Have a LHR-OSL-BGO tomorrow, SAS have re-routed me LHR-ARN-BGO. Very proactive by them, leaving 20 mins earlier and arriving 20 mins later.
Hope others upthread have some good luck with their travel plans.
ucla95 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by poshul
I just got off the phone with SAS regarding a TATL J booking. They are cancelling flights at least 24 hours out, and re-booking. I was told it should happen automatically.
So, they lied. I got an email after getting off the phone saying:
Unfortunately, your flight has been canceled and we couldn't book you on another flight close to your original departure. Please contact SAS Customer Service and we'll help you.
Been on hold with them for 3 hours at this point.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I doubt the strike will last for more than 5 days.
It’ll be over by July 9?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It’ll be over by July 9?
In a few hours it will be the 7th of July at SAS’s hubs. I would need to find myself some rose-tinted sunglasses to foresee that no SAS flights on the 9th will be subject to strike disruption.

Does Lufthansa sell those glasses duty-free?
JR67 and vanillabean like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Anyone got any ideas how to force an alternative from Expedia in the USA? Family's flight has been cancelled by SAS but Expedia refuse to rebook on any other airline. They will only rebook onto SAS on a future date.
Strange but happy news from Oregon. Although flysas.com recognised their Expedia booking as having been made by a travel agent (“Unfortunately, you can't cancel or rebook this booking online. If you booked via a travel agent, tour operator or other airline, we recommend that you contact them directly”) SAS automatically rebooked my family onto a new itinerary with Alaska Airlines PDX-LAX and then Finnair LAX-ARN. Expedia were completely clueless, unaware that the change had been made. So anyone have booked with an Online Travel Agentthere is a chance that a SAS will handle the rebooking.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In a few hours it will be the 7th of July at SAS’s hubs. I would need to find myself some rose-tinted sunglasses to foresee that no SAS flights on the 9th will be subject to strike disruption.

Does Lufthansa sell those glasses duty-free?
why the personal attack?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:33 pm
Suspended

why the personal attack?
What? I am stuck flying LH to Scandinavia and have to get back here afterwards.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:21 pm

So anyone have booked with an Online Travel Agentthere is a chance that a SAS will handle the rebooking.
you have given me hope! Thank you!

Last edited by ucla95; Jul 6, 2022 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I doubt the strike will last for more than 5 days. SK can rebook you onto *A alternatives <24h before departure, so I would investigate ARN-FRA/MUC-DEN on LH/UA for July 11. Then ask to be rebooked ARN-xxx-DEN(-ORD) Once in DEN, conveniently miss your flight to ORD.

Sadly all 4 flights from FRA/MUC to DEN that day are completely full AND the LH flights from ARN to FRA/MUC are sold out for obvious reasons.

You might have to look into getting to FRA/MUC using a flight the day before.
Thank you so much for your research. Mrs. Swede was none-too-happy that we're only over here for three weeks this summer. If we have to cut our trip even a day shorter to fly to Germany, I will be sleeping on the couch for the rest of the summer.

On some various Facebook groups dedicated to Swedes traveling to/from the US, some are using this to take advantage to squeeze in an extra few days in Sweden before flying back, which is definitely affecting near-future availability to other *A hubs.

Our travel insurance policy allows for us to book economy tickets to get us back home in the event of a flight cancellation. I spent the last six hours on a train after a lovely few days in Copenhagen, so I frantically have been looking for refundable Y tickets ex-ARN. I currently have ARN-AMS-MSP-DEN (KL/DL) booked for 7/11, then suddenly ARN-VIE-MUC-DEN (OS/UA) became available on UA's website for 7/11. Once I got the confirmation e-mail for the OS/UA flights, I cancelled the KL/DL itinerary. This gets us into DEN only an hour later than planned, and, if our original flight is cancelled, I can re-use the $1400 in WN credit I used for those tickets (and the EUR 2400 will also be nice). The OS flight is only 50 minutes before our originally scheduled flight, so it gives me plenty of wiggle room to see if SAS can pull off some magic.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ucla95
you have given me hope! Thank you!
Make sure to keep track of the ticket numbers — old and new — and that they reissue the ticket so that the newly rebooked flights are in alignment with the flights on the reissued ticket. Otherwise you could end up in situation where the SAS booking — taking over the OTA’s booking — has the flights and tickets out of sync. Problems may follow from that out-of-sync dynamic.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
Had BGO-AES today that was cancelled approximately 36 hours out. Got an email an hour later saying I was rebooked on Widerře, so thought all was well.

3 hours before scheduled departure, Widerře emails to say the flight is cancelled and rebooks me on the first flight next day, which wouldn't have worked out due to prebooked tour schedule. So ended up buying a ticket on Norwegian to go BGO-OSL-AES, which took 3x the time, but at least I'm here.

Hope I can try to get SK to process an EU261 claim, but insurance should kick in otherwise. Next gamble is Friday's AES-OSL-AMS flight, which thankfully appears to be operated by Cityjet both legs. ​​​
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Strange but happy news from Oregon. Although flysas.com recognised their Expedia booking as having been made by a travel agent (“Unfortunately, you can't cancel or rebook this booking online. If you booked via a travel agent, tour operator or other airline, we recommend that you contact them directly”) SAS automatically rebooked my family onto a new itinerary with Alaska Airlines PDX-LAX and then Finnair LAX-ARN. Expedia were completely clueless, unaware that the change had been made. So anyone have booked with an Online Travel Agentthere is a chance that a SAS will handle the rebooking.
Is this because even though its booked through Expedia, the charges show up on my credit card bill as directly from SAS, therefore they can take over the itinerary?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by klavkonz
Is this because even though its booked through Expedia, the charges show up on my credit card bill as directly from SAS, therefore they can take over the itinerary?
Not because of that.

SAS agents can still tell that the booking is an OTA/Expedia booking. It’s just that usually when it’s an OTA (eg Expedia) booking the airline may not want to take over the booking until the ticket is under airport control or maybe even flown (if even then). Some airlines even have required customers to pay a fee to the airline to have the operating airline take control over the OTA-issued ticketed booking and make changes to it unless the booking was subject to IRROPS, like airline’s own flight cancellations and schedule changes close to originally schedule departure.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:04 pm
Suspended

ARN-LHR-DEN on SAS connect+ UA for Monday the 11th just worked, but the first cabin was in SASPlus and could mean a full row with no empty middle seat.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
ARN-LHR-DEN on SAS connect+ UA for Monday the 11th just worked.
How much work was needed by you vs SAS?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.