Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It appears SAS flights to the US were cancelled sooner this morning (8:45) for tomorrow than yesterday (9:45) for today.
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
I noticed this as well. I am watching somewhat helplessly as family in PDX await news of how Expedia will rebook an itinerary PDX-ORD-ARN-CPH-UME for tomorrow, 7 July. Only this morning, 6 July, was the trans-Atlantic flight cancelled. It leaves them very little time to communicate with Expedia to find an alternative. A simple flight search on Expedia finds no inventory. The best alternative would be with UA, AC and LH PDX-YVR-FRA-ARN-UME, but I'm increasingly afraid they're going to get a really terrible itinerary.
Anyone got any ideas how to force an alternative from Expedia in the USA? Family's flight has been cancelled by SAS but Expedia refuse to rebook on any other airline. They will only rebook onto SAS on a future date.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by poshul
I just got off the phone with SAS regarding a TATL J booking. They are cancelling flights at least 24 hours out, and re-booking. I was told it should happen automatically.
If they are cancelled within 24h their can rebook onto IATA partners under resolution 652d. A earlier cancellations require reprotection agreements with to other carrier before they accept such pax.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:13 am

Rebooking questions...

Hello. My girlfriend and I are on a July 8th flight from ARN to EWR. Unfortunately we made separate reservations. Is it possible to link them so we can get rebooked together? Our flight is labelled "Likely to be canceled." Do we have to wait until it's officially canceled and see what alternatives SAS found before we purchase our own alternative flights? Thanks very much!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Here’s my dumb question. If I’m rebooked do I have to accept the rebooking or can I cancel it?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Anyone got any ideas how to force an alternative from Expedia in the USA? Family's flight has been cancelled by SAS but Expedia refuse to rebook on any other airline. They will only rebook onto SAS on a future date.
Who is responsible for the rebooking if you bought your ticket through an online travel agency? SAS or the OTA?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
So I have a relative who will probably be subject to cancellation. This person is stayin at my house. Can I give him a bill for lodging and get it compensated by SAS under the burden of care requirement?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum Eurobonus -Silver
[QUOTE=Dania 1581;34395510]I have a flight tomorrow AMS- OSL - KSU. The OSL- KSU has been canceled, but the flight from AMS is operated by Cityjet and therefore not canceled and open for check in.
I will contact SAS, but if I can’t contact them on time, does this mean that I have to fly tomorrow to Oslo and wait there till something happens? I don’t want to lose my first flight for no shown[/QUOTE
Update:
SAS sent me two emails. First one to inform me that my OSL-KSU had been cancelled and that the rebooking process had started
I tried to contact them to try to rebook to an OSL- MOL option, only one hour drive from KSU and operated by Cityjet. After one hour on hold, I received the second email saying that they didn’t find a rebooking option and that I would receive a refund. According to SAS website I could look for alternative travel arrangements and they would refund the difference between the cancelled flight and my expenses.
This was less than 24 hours before my flight. My boyfriend got fed up and decided to drive all the way to Oslo (7 hours) and pick me up.
I’ll submit all the expenses (hotel, gas and meals) and request a refund.
Not the most efficient solution, but at least I’m almost there (and yes, it was a romantic gesture!)
jerry_greece likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

You can get a refund for meals and hotel. But you can't refund the ticket AND claim costs for the alternative.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum Eurobonus -Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can get a refund for meals and hotel. But you can't refund the ticket AND claim costs for the alternative.
Actually that’s exactly the instructions from the SAS website. Cancel for a refund and claim the difference:
If we’re not able to rebook you on a new flight departing within the time frame of your original departure, you may book another airline ticket, take a train, bus or rent a car. We will reimburse the difference between your unused SAS ticket and the cost of your new transportation under comparable transport conditions upon presentation of receipts. If you choose to book alternative travel, please remember to cancel your ticket with SAS to get a refund for your unused ticket”
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:59 am

Be careful, I wouldn't refund the ticket. If you are not dependent on the money, hold onto the ticket and submit your claim. Let them respond.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dingo
Here’s my dumb question. If I’m rebooked do I have to accept the rebooking or can I cancel it?
You're typically offered to get your ticket reimbursed or get a rebooking. You don't have to accept any rebooking and can tell them if the first suggestion doesn't work for you.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:26 am

I'm curious about what "Please note that the cost for the alternative transportation must be in the same price range as your original ticket." means on their website. There's no way in heck that I can find anything that's equivalent ~24 hours out. There's gonna be a significant up-charge. Anyone had any experience with this? Putting 7000 euros on my credit card with the hopes of getting something from a bankrupt company seems perilous.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My dilemma...

Flying ARN-ORD on 7/11, connecting to a WN ORD-DEN flight 3.5 hours later (obviously on a separate ticket). Miss Swede is on a different PNR ARN-ORD (but same WN reservation). Currently, our only options is to rebook onto other TATL SAS flights that would also most likely get cancelled. If our SK TATL flight is cancelled, I would want to be rebooked to DEN, but I'm guessing that SK will refuse to rebook us as such.

If SAS is cancelling flights 24+ hours in advance, I wonder if I can get rebooked on a flight leaving on 7/10 instead? The SAS website won't let me choose 7/10 for rebooking, just 7/11 and dates in the future.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Be careful, I wouldn't refund the ticket. If you are not dependent on the money, hold onto the ticket and submit your claim. Let them respond.
Good advice! Every SAS agent is pushing for the refund option and I can imagine many fall for this and lose their right to claim. It feels that SAS is playing a game by only cancelling the outbound but keeping the inbound valid unless also affected. We found ourselves somewhat trapped as they offered no rebooking and then were not refunding the ticket as half was still valid. Playing a game of chicken to see if we would eventually take the refund.

Last edited by livious; Jul 6, 2022 at 9:54 am
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
My dilemma...

Flying ARN-ORD on 7/11, connecting to a WN ORD-DEN flight 3.5 hours later (obviously on a separate ticket). Miss Swede is on a different PNR ARN-ORD (but same WN reservation). Currently, our only options is to rebook onto other TATL SAS flights that would also most likely get cancelled. If our SK TATL flight is cancelled, I would want to be rebooked to DEN, but I'm guessing that SK will refuse to rebook us as such.

If SAS is cancelling flights 24+ hours in advance, I wonder if I can get rebooked on a flight leaving on 7/10 instead? The SAS website won't let me choose 7/10 for rebooking, just 7/11 and dates in the future.
I doubt the strike will last for more than 5 days. SK can rebook you onto *A alternatives <24h before departure, so I would investigate ARN-FRA/MUC-DEN on LH/UA for July 11. Then ask to be rebooked ARN-xxx-DEN(-ORD) Once in DEN, conveniently miss your flight to ORD.

Sadly all 4 flights from FRA/MUC to DEN that day are completely full AND the LH flights from ARN to FRA/MUC are sold out for obvious reasons.

You might have to look into getting to FRA/MUC using a flight the day before.
pseudoswede likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.