SAS strike from 4 July 2022

Old Jul 18, 22, 4:00 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Oh that's great, thanks!
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:34 pm

https://www.svd.se/a/Rrvxw5/sas-och-...verenskommelse

SK chairman Carsten Dilling claims that there is an agreement. Later, SK head of communications Karin Nyman denies that there is an agreement. The rest of the article is behind a paywall.
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Im a new user View Post

SK chairman Carsten Dilling claims that there is an agreement. Later, SK head of communications Karin Nyman denies that there is an agreement. The rest of the article is behind a paywall.
Even the Danish union, Dansk Metal, confirmed an agreement. Though all where saying not actually signed yet.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2022-...-kontramelding
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Im a new user View Post

Plenty of non-pay wall articles that talk about the confusion.
https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/sas...-danska-medier
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...kommit-overens
It is a bit of a clown act with the chairman of the board's half-off-the-record comments being contradicted by the head of communications, and the claims from other sources of "there is an agreement but we're waiting for a few signatures" being followed by three hours (and counting) of said signatures not ending up on the supposed agreement.
Old Jul 18, 22, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Poor Delta. Maybe I’ll go back to SAS TATL flying before the week is out if they all put their John Hancock on some papers sooner than later.

Seems like SAS won’t be getting a Declaration of Independence from unions. Not like that it was realistically in the cards.
the810 and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I am curious to see what happens to award travel space for SAS flights for the days ahead.
I saw a direct flight on SAS instead of my indirect routing open up a few days ago through *A that wasn't there before (I assume SAS cancellations have been coming in hard....) and debated booking it but didn't trust SAS. It's a long haul for mid-August. Is it pretty safe to say the schedule will remain the same or possible there will be reductions? Otherwise I have an 8.5 hour connection in AMS....

Last edited by bluedog423; Jul 18, 22 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 18, 22, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by bluedog423 View Post
I saw a direct flight on SAS instead of my indirect routing open up a few days ago through *A that wasn't there before (I assume SAS cancellations have been coming in hard....) and debated booking it but didn't trust SAS. It's a long haul for mid-August. Is it pretty safe to say the schedule will remain the same or possible there will be reductions? Otherwise I have an 8.5 hour connection in AMS....
SAS may still go down the drain, but a flight in one month's time should be safe. (I'm assuming it's a long haul to/from North America and not China or Japan...) The strike will be over, if they're going bankrupt that won't have happened yet, and if they're having to reduce their fleet that also won't have happened yet. If you asked me the same question about a flight in six months' time I'd say the risk is much greater.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Tomas E View Post
SAS may still go down the drain, but a flight in one month's time should be safe. (I'm assuming it's a long haul to/from North America and not China or Japan...) The strike will be over, if they're going bankrupt that won't have happened yet, and if they're having to reduce their fleet that also won't have happened yet. If you asked me the same question about a flight in six months' time I'd say the risk is much greater.
Thanks. I went ahead and changed my flight to ORD-CPH for no cost. In fact, I'm getting refunded $120 due to lower taxes! I wasn't looking forward to an 8.5 hour layover in AMS with two young kids. The SAS strike may have actually helped in this regard to open up award space! Crossing my fingers nothing more changes and they actually have an agreement -- although my flight is 4 weeks away. There's a risk these days no matter what. UA canceled my orignal routing for seemingly no reason.
Old Jul 18, 22, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bluedog423 View Post
Thanks. I went ahead and changed my flight to ORD-CPH for no cost. In fact, I'm getting refunded $120 due to lower taxes! I wasn't looking forward to an 8.5 hour layover in AMS with two young kids. The SAS strike may have actually helped in this regard to open up award space! Crossing my fingers nothing more changes and they actually have an agreement -- although my flight is 4 weeks away. There's a risk these days no matter what. UA canceled my orignal routing for seemingly no reason.
8.5 hours at AMS with two young kids? Definitely best to be avoided, and great that you got the ORD-CPH seats to avoid a long airport day in Europe after a night flight.

I will be on overdrive trying to pick up award space myself too.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 6:17 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad View Post
So passegers who booked via a travel agent were deliberately disadvantaged by SAS in the strike? If you booked with SAS, you could potentially be rebooked on any airline, but if you booked with an OTA you couldn't?
That happened to me and my wife, I hold a SAS issued tix and her's is issued by another carrier. They were not willing to honour her booking but they allowed me to sidegrade to their CityLine for a considerable markup.
Old Jul 19, 22, 1:08 pm

SAS rebooked me on Virgin Atlantic through London LHR with an overnight layover to fly back to LAX from CPH. I had to go to the customer service center at CPH to talk directly with a representative and the line took about 2 hours. It was not that bad.

They told me to submit a claim online to get reimbursed for the hotel stay and food in London.

I already submitted the form online but I am not sure if this reimbursement is the same as filing a claim under EU Regulation 261?

Is there another official website for filing EU Regulation 261 claims?
Old Jul 19, 22, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbell View Post
I already submitted the form online but I am not sure if this reimbursement is the same as filing a claim under EU Regulation 261?

Is there another official website for filing EU Regulation 261 claims?
No, getting reimbursed for the duty of care (hotels, transportation, meals) is different from EU/EC261 compensation.

To claim for EC261, just contact SAS via their normal customer service mail/web-form and ask to get the compensation due.

They probably will refuse and claim the strike was extraordinary circumstance you most likely will have to fight to get the compensation depends on you how far you will go for that.

but there is no central official place to claim.
Old Jul 19, 22, 5:27 pm

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
They probably will refuse and claim the strike was extraordinary circumstance you most likely will have to fight to get the compensation depends on you how far you will go for that.
A strike is one of the most clear-cut examples of extraordinary circumstances as envisioned by EU261. I'd be extremely surprised if someone claimed compensation successfully against a flight cancelled due to a strike.
Old Jul 19, 22, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
A strike is one of the most clear-cut examples of extraordinary circumstances as envisioned by EU261. I'd be extremely surprised if someone claimed compensation successfully against a flight cancelled due to a strike.
It is not, there was an ECJ ruling against none other than Scandinavian Airlines saying that strikes in direct connection to contract negotiations are not an extraordinary circumstance. It is a known condition that the negotiations can lead to a strike, and thus can't be said to be outside of the control of the company.

Accordingly, the answer to the questions referred is that Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004 must be interpreted as meaning that strike action which is entered into upon a call by a trade union of the staff of an operating air carrier, in compliance with the conditions laid down by national legislation, in particular the notice period imposed by it, which is intended to assert the demands of that carriers workers and which is followed by a category of staff essential for operating a flight does not fall within the concept of an extraordinary circumstance within the meaning of that provision
Airhelp Ltd v Scandinavian Airlines System Denmark Norway Sweden.
GUWonder, the810 and go_around like this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 7:04 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Tomas E View Post
Plenty of non-pay wall articles that talk about the confusion.
https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/sas...-danska-medier
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...kommit-overens
It is a bit of a clown act with the chairman of the board's half-off-the-record comments being contradicted by the head of communications, and the claims from other sources of "there is an agreement but we're waiting for a few signatures" being followed by three hours (and counting) of said signatures not ending up on the supposed agreement.
There will be a ballot among the members of all four unions about the agreement. This will take a couple of weeks. The agreement will not be formally signed until then. It is not probable, but more than theoretically possible that one or more of the unions will reject the agreement.

Search this Thread