Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
So passengers who booked via a travel agent were deliberately disadvantaged by SAS in the strike? If you booked with SAS, you could potentially be rebooked on any airline, but if you booked with an OTA you couldn't?
Exactly! Or supposedly a passenger still can call SAS to be rebooked on other airlines..
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:11 am
O62

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
So passegers who booked via a travel agent were deliberately disadvantaged by SAS in the strike? If you booked with SAS, you could potentially be rebooked on any airline, but if you booked with an OTA you couldn't?
Originally Posted by swaigiux
Exactly! Or supposedly a passenger still can call SAS to be rebooked on other airlines..
So if you showed up to CPH on a connection and your next flight is cancelled and you booked on an OTA they just go "sorry not sorry!"? If so, they really deserve to go bankrupt.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Does anyone have any experience for EU comp for downgrades on award flights? SAS is trying to force us to take a Y ticket on Finn Air as opposed to a C class award ticket on a *A partner. We have found availability, but they are simply refusing to book us in C. I see the EU rules and how they apply to a cash ticket, but am specifically curious how EU comp would apply to a ticket booked with points and an AMEX 2-4-1 as it would be hard to calculate what we "paid".

Edit: We were disconnected while the agent was finalizing our ticket, but HUCA brought us to an agent that could suddenly find C class award tickets via IST and we escaped having to fly Y class with HEL with Finn Air. As another data point, the kids cash ticket (ORD-CPH-ARN-MMX) was rebooked to ORD-HEL-CPH on Finn Air as the agents were willing to change the destination to simplify things.

Last edited by livious; Jul 18, 2022 at 8:47 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:38 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by livious
Does anyone have any experience for EU comp for downgrades on award flights? SAS is trying to force us to take a Y ticket on Finn Air as opposed to a C class award ticket on a *A partner. We have found availability, but they are simply refusing to book us in C. I see the EU rules and how they apply to a cash ticket, but am specifically curious how EU comp would apply to a ticket booked with points and an AMEX 2-4-1 as it would be hard to calculate what we "paid".
Award tickets are specifically listed as being eligible for rebooking etc as tickets paid by money.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by swaigiux
Actually the only 2 choices ALL travel agencies were given was either rerouting to SK marketed/operated flights or a refund..
as per sassalesinfo.com rerouting to other airlines cannot be done by agencies and must be done by SK only..
Not quite what it actually says.

INVOLUNTARY REROUTING AND TICKET REISSUE INTERRUPTION OCCUR ON THE SAME DAY OF THE FIRST IMPACTED FLIGHT, OR THE DAY BEFORE(Maximum 48 hours before scheduled time of departure) Travel agents are authorized to involuntary rebook SK/117 document for passengers holding a reservation on a canceled SK operated flight. Rebooking must be made to other SK operated flight including SK wet lease in the same booking class, or lowest available booking class in the same service class as originally booked. Exception: For Short haul routes (SK operating to SK operating only), if same service class is not available, rebooking to a higher service class is permitted, provided lowest available booking class is used (new flight must not be booked over total capacity). Note: Travel Agents must contact Agent Helpdesk for authorization for rebooking to higher Service class. Tickets must be reissued and marked with: FE INVOL REISSUED DUE PILOT STRIKE ON SAS Note: No authorization needed from SAS

Rebooking to all other airlines: Contact SAS Agent Helpdesk for assistance

To speed up the process(before contacting Agent Helpdesk):
  • Check for alternatives with OAL (other airline) but don't make the rebooking
  • Secure that SAS have an interline agreement with the airline suggested for rerouting
SAS Agent Helpdesk will make the rebooking and reissue to OAL.

Alternative approach if re-routing to OAL is not possible according to above procedure
  1. Give customer full refund for the unused portion of the ticket
  2. Book a new ticket in the same service class on OAL and charge the customer for the new ticket
  3. Advice the customer to claim the difference between the original SAS ticket and the cost of the new ticket: https://www.flysas.com/en/customer-s...claim-flights/

INTERRUPTION OCCUR TWO DAYS OR MORE BEFORE DEPARTURE

(More than 48 hours before scheduled time of departure)

Travel agents are authorized to involuntary rebook SK/117 document for passengers holding a reservation on a canceled SK operated flight.
  • Rebooking must be made to other SK operated flight including SK wet lease in the same booking class, or lowest available booking class in the same service class as originally booked.
  • Tickets must for canceled flights be reissued and marked with: FE INVOL REISSUED DUE PILOT STRIKE ON SAS
Note: No authorization needed from SAS

Rebooking also authorized for SK flights not canceled subject for rebooking waiver.

Rebooking to other airlines:

Travel Agents are allowed to rebook SK operated flights to WF operated flights according to:

WF/SK Reprotection agreement

Note: No authorization needed from SAS

Rebooking to all other airlines: Contact SAS Agent Helpdesk for assistance
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by ksu
Award tickets are specifically listed as being eligible for rebooking etc as tickets paid by money.
Yes, and this is what happened. The first agent was trying to route us as a family in economy, which I understand as she focused on simplicity. Being a FTer, we were more interested in the more complicated travel involving C class.

he second agent didn't want to put us on a paid C class fare on AY, but found a fare on TK instead. We assumed that it was an award ticket, but in fact it is paid C class ticket and we should earn miles
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even before the summer vacations had commenced, I had already planned on having DL and its partners as my workaround in the case of this SAS strike. Seems like another million miler milestone crossing is to come my way sooner, between the pandemic travel and this strike. In part some more FFP credit may end up getting credited to the “out of the way” routings away from SAS, but unfortunately it’s not going to work all that great for me.

I’m not sure what rhyme and reason there is in some of the things SAS is doing with the rebooking. A lot of it seems to come down to just what the agents are doing and feel like doing or who is looking at what, as three people in similar situations seeking rebooking at around the same time can be given two or three different answers that don’t necessarily seem to add up as making sense about what is available and is not.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I’m not sure what rhyme and reason there is in some of the things SAS is doing with the rebooking. A lot of it seems to come down to just what the agents are doing and feel like doing or who is looking at what, as three people in similar situations seeking rebooking at around the same time can be given two or three different answers that don’t necessarily seem to add up as making sense about what is available and is not.
Totally agree that it is agent dependent, although it seems that they are giving the agents more flexibility to rebook people compared to the first few days of the strike. Perhaps it is because we flew the inbound already and they cannot strand us, but they are much more proactive now.

Had to call back as our ticket was not issued and the latest agent was willing and able to move the kids to the same flight, which comes as a relief and sinplifies are trip to O’hare as we were booked 6 hours apart. Not sure why the earlier agent was so quick to try and downgrade us on AY when the Turkish option existed, but I some agents are just doing what is easiest for them as opposed to what is best for the customer.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:58 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
For some friends/passengers who have an upcoming flight USA-ARN next week (booked directly with SAS), which looking at the flight history is likely to be cancelled, do you all have suggestions on the best contact method when the flight gets cancelled? Call the call center in the US for rebooking?

Would they have any elite/specific number for J class passengers?

The problem is that they're not cancelling flights yet 1 week out, which is way too late for people to be making affordable alternative flight plans... They don't even cancel 2+ days in advance.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:44 pm
O62

Originally Posted by TA
For some friends/passengers who have an upcoming flight USA-ARN next week (booked directly with SAS), which looking at the flight history is likely to be cancelled, do you all have suggestions on the best contact method when the flight gets cancelled? Call the call center in the US for rebooking?

The problem is that they're not cancelling flights yet 1 week out, which is way too late for people to be making affordable alternative flight plans... They don't even cancel 2+ days in advance.

Thanks!
About 1 hour prior to the expected cancellation time, I'd have a Skype phone call on my computer calling a European number along with my cellphone calling the USA line. At the same time on the computer, open up Turi the chat bot. Whichever one gets a response wins. If you get a crappy agent on the first call, talk to the next one.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:52 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TA

Thanks!
Danish papers are reporting the pilots have reached an agreement with SAS. Allowing for a few days for the network to reset, next week’s fights should be fine.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I am flying to BGO in September from LHR. Will my flights be ok? Also, would it be better to fly via OSL or SVG? OSL has more frequency from LHR and to BGO, but SVG is a smaller airport that is easier to navigate it seems.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Danish TV2 claims that SAS and the pilots have just reached an agreement.
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2022-...-lander-aftale
Assuming that rumor is true and considering the time of the day, in an ideal world that hopefully means that:
- most flights leaving SAS hubs/bases tomorrow (Tuesday 19 July) morning should actually operate as scheduled
- early short haul flights from outstations tomorrow should still be cancelled
- late short haul flights from outstations tomorrow (Tuesday 19 July) should operate
- long haul flights from outstations should in many cases operate from Wednesday 20 July. (But this is dependent on how quickly they can bring rested crews to outstations.)
But these are my guesses rather than anything official.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am curious to see what happens to award travel space for SAS flights for the days ahead.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
According to DR News' information, the pilots can resume work as early as tomorrow and be back in the cockpits. ... The agreement also implies, according to DR News' information, that the fired pilots will be re-employed, as has been a requirement from the pilots.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/sas-...hed-erfarer-dr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.