Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I had to deal with a delayed OSL-BGO last week and the flight before that and after was canceled so I got lucky with the strike being postponed a bit.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Ugggh, what a mess. Couldn't get through by phone last night and got disconnected after 90min. My wife got through today and they found 2 C-class tickets one day after the original departures...great! Somehow the staff managed to cancel our original tickets and cannot complete the booking, so we have not outbound ticket now and need to wait until the office opens at 8:00 and hope that someone can take a look at the mess in the near future. At this point they would need to reinstate our original booking and the find new seats.

I know the booking staff are under a lot of pressure, but SAS does not need to shoot themselves in the foot and create extra work for themselves. This also seems to be part of a larger problem as we have had this happen quite regularly in the recent past.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
SAS just filed for Chapter 11 in the US...guess this won't help with rebookings (although they site says business as usual)
https://www.sas.se/trafikinformation/meddelande/
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by livious
SAS just filed for Chapter 11 in the US...guess this won't help with rebookings (although they site says business as usual)
That is an interesting step. I would not have thought SK had any material subsidiaries covered under US chapter 11.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by livious
Even if by some stroke of luck or genius it wouldn’t hurt with rebookings — or refunds — there are going to be a bunch of annoyed unionized employees — and not just the pilots — that may not be all that eager to see operations resume normally.

Relying upon SAS for summer travel has just become a lot more iffy since company management has gone forward with the pre-meditated nuclear option.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That is an interesting step. I would not have thought SK had any material subsidiaries covered under US chapter 11.
See the bankruptcy thread for indications of this being done by other non-US airlines.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
See the bankruptcy thread for indications of this being done by other non-US airlines.
Yeah, I guess they hinge it on Scandinavian Airlines of America Inc, and just pull the others along....
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Next move is hopefully to start moving A350s over to SAS Connect.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yeah, I guess they hinge it on Scandinavian Airlines of America Inc, and just pull the others along....
No one pays me $2400+ per hour for restructuring advice, but I would think that they could whip up even a de novo if they wanted that to be the hinge in the land where the surest thing about the law and courts is that the deck is stacked to be corporate-friendly.

Does SAS management really believe that this strike has little to no chance of going beyond January 9th at this point?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does SAS management really believe that this strike has little to no chance of going beyond January 9th at this point?
1) SAS does most likely not have the liquidity to fund operations during >6 months of strike, bankruptcy protection or not,
2) the pilots' union (at least the Swedish one) doesn't have a strike fund to pay its members (unlike most Swedish unions) and info from some years ago says that the union advises its members to have a personal financial reserve for one month of conflict,
3) the previous SAS pilot strike in 2019 lasted about a week (but the stakes are higher now for both sides).
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tomas E
2) the pilots' union (at least the Swedish one) doesn't have a strike fund to pay its members (unlike most Swedish unions) and info from some years ago says that the union advises its members to have a personal financial reserve for one month of conflict,
3) the previous SAS pilot strike in 2019 lasted about a week (but the stakes are higher now for both sides).
I was actually wondering about this, mostly bullet 2 if that still holds true. Wonder how quickly the least well funded pilots get strapped for cash.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I was actually wondering about this, mostly bullet 2 if that still holds true. Wonder how quickly the least well funded pilots get strapped for cash.
Which will possibly lead to an interesting outcome: they jump ship to another airline and then the phoenix SAS tries to get them back but has to pay them more than they did in June.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:10 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Next move is hopefully to start moving A350s over to SAS Connect.
Just move all long-haul aircraft to LH and be done with it...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Just move all long-haul aircraft to LH and be done with it...
Come to think of it, it’s been a while since I last had a taste of bratwurst.

🎶 Ein Prosit, ein Prosit Der Gemütlichkeit, Ein Prosit, ein Prosit Der Gemütlichkeit 🎶
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH offered to take all the A330/359 and operate them for SAS some years ago (2019?). That of course was insulting for SAS
livious likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.