SAS strike from 4 July 2022

Old Jul 14, 22, 4:16 pm
  #241  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SBP
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 413
Supposed to fly OSL-LYR tomorrow and return on 18 July. The return is "likely to be cancelled" but tomorrow's flight looks like it might operate. These are on 2 different PNRs so they aren't linked in any way. Obviously I'm not going to risk going to Svalbard so I want to reschedule. Despite numerous attempts at calling (which is costing me a small fortune since I'm US-based but located in Norway at the moment) I have been unable to reach anyone. I am trying to book for a different date but the system doesn't work.

Am I basically screwed here and out the cost of my ticket?

EDIT: Managed to get it pushed out until the day after tomorrow. I'm flying SAS OSL-DUB tomorrow so maybe they can help me at the airport.
catbox9 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 4:34 pm
  #242  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Sweden & UK
Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
Supposed to fly OSL-LYR tomorrow and return on 18 July. The return is "likely to be cancelled" but tomorrow's flight looks like it might operate. These are on 2 different PNRs so they aren't linked in any way. Obviously I'm not going to risk going to Svalbard so I want to reschedule. Despite numerous attempts at calling (which is costing me a small fortune since I'm US-based but located in Norway at the moment) I have been unable to reach anyone. I am trying to book for a different date but the system doesn't work.

Am I basically screwed here and out the cost of my ticket?

EDIT: Managed to get it pushed out until the day after tomorrow. I'm flying SAS OSL-DUB tomorrow so maybe they can help me at the airport.
There has been one flight per day LYR-OSL operating for the last couple of days. I found news item in Norwegian from earlier today which says that the pilot union had extended the exception from the strike for Svalbard for the rest of July:
https://www.dagsavisen.no/nyheter/in...-for-svalbard/
Originally they had made an exception until Sunday to fly home stranded passengers. (I think essential deliveries to Svalbard was also an argument for the previous exception?)
I think this is a case of SAS not yet having updated their flight status page further ahead than the 16th for LYR-OSL. The 17th should already have been safe under the previous exception.
So I suggest you fly to LYR tomorrow (EDIT: I didn't see your edit, but fly there when you're supposed to!), enjoy your stay there, and there should be a good chance that you'll be able to come back on the 18th! I'm not saying that it's 100% sure, but this summer it seems no flight is 100% sure.
Tomas E is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 4:37 pm
  #243  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by Tomas E View Post
There has been one flight per day LYR-OSL operating for the last couple of days. I found news item in Norwegian from earlier today which says that the pilot union had extended the exception from the strike for Svalbard for the rest of July:
https://www.dagsavisen.no/nyheter/in...-for-svalbard/
Originally they had made an exception until Sunday to fly home stranded passengers. (I think essential deliveries to Svalbard was also an argument for the previous exception?)
I think this is a case of SAS not yet having updated their flight status page further ahead than the 16th for LYR-OSL. The 17th should already have been safe under the previous exception.
So I suggest you fly to LYR tomorrow (EDIT: I didn't see your edit, but fly there when you're supposed to!), enjoy your stay there, and there should be a good chance that you'll be able to come back on the 18th! I'm not saying that it's 100% sure, but this summer it seems no flight is 100% sure.
I agree. Svalbard will be safe for now.
ksu is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 9:19 pm
  #244  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 544
If you had to guess, will this strike be resolved by end of September?

Viking Ocean cruises just changed my wonderfully simple booking
British Airways Oslo to London --> London to Austin
To
Scandinavian Airlines 1455, Oslo to Copenhagen
Scandinavian Airlines 943, Copenhagen to Chicago
American Airlines 2208, Chicago to Austin

Was very confused to look at FlightAware history for 943 and see Canceled, Canceled, Canceled...
Then to read here that SAS has filed for Chapter 11.

MareLuce is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 9:25 pm
  #245  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 17,073
Originally Posted by MareLuce View Post
If you had to guess, will this strike be resolved by end of September?

Viking Ocean cruises just changed my wonderfully simple booking
British Airways Oslo to London --> London to Austin
To
Scandinavian Airlines 1455, Oslo to Copenhagen
Scandinavian Airlines 943, Copenhagen to Chicago
American Airlines 2208, Chicago to Austin

Was very confused to look at FlightAware history for 943 and see Canceled, Canceled, Canceled...
Then to read here that SAS has filed for Chapter 11.

If I had to guess the strike is resolved before the end of July. Admittedly it seems to become longer than I initially expected, but much beyond another week is not very likely.
MareLuce likes this.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jul 14, 22, 9:51 pm
  #246  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 9,363
SK call centre is hopeless. I missed my flight and took me 6 hrs to get through to them and all I got was you did a no show so we are not rebooking you.

I explained to them that the agent was not doing his job properly and should have told me to cancel the ticket before it's too late. Now I need to try to make my way back to CPH on my own dime.
nacho is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 12:26 am
  #247  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LAX, SFO
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 245
CPH-EWR still not canceled, departs in 5 hours...
AeoNKiNG is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 12:58 am
  #248  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CPH, Swedish side of the bridge
Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Posts: 574
Originally Posted by MareLuce View Post
If you had to guess, will this strike be resolved by end of September?

Viking Ocean cruises just changed my wonderfully simple booking
British Airways Oslo to London --> London to Austin
To
Scandinavian Airlines 1455, Oslo to Copenhagen
Scandinavian Airlines 943, Copenhagen to Chicago
American Airlines 2208, Chicago to Austin

Was very confused to look at FlightAware history for 943 and see Canceled, Canceled, Canceled...
Then to read here that SAS has filed for Chapter 11.

It will be over this weekend. No worries for your bookings.
MareLuce likes this.
JR67 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 1:08 am
  #249  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: LHR / YYZ
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 3,703
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
SK call centre is hopeless. I missed my flight and took me 6 hrs to get through to them and all I got was you did a no show so we are not rebooking you.

I explained to them that the agent was not doing his job properly and should have told me to cancel the ticket before it's too late. Now I need to try to make my way back to CPH on my own dime.
Did you miss your flight due to something SK did? If not, the agent doesn't seem to be "not doing his job"? (I mean, the agent could have been nicer about it, but if it was a pure no-show, he's right policy wise, no?)
capedreamer is online now  
Old Jul 15, 22, 1:45 am
  #250  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
It will be over this weekend. No worries for your bookings.
The spokesperson for SAS sounded very pessimistic on Norwegian radio news: "n er vi vel litt mer tilbake, kan man trygt si"
ksu is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 2:21 am
  #251  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Sweden & UK
Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
The spokesperson for SAS sounded very pessimistic on Norwegian radio news: "n er vi vel litt mer tilbake, kan man trygt si"
Well, this night when they ended the negotiations for the day (after 15 hours on Thursday) to get some sleep, the Norwegian mediator said that the two parties were closer each other than ever. Earlier in the evening, the Swedish mediator said that these negotiations were the most complicated he had experienced in 30 years of experience as a mediator. So sure, negotiations are ongoing (today is the third day efter they resumed), but I think that all bets are off.
Tomas E is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 2:30 am
  #252  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by Tomas E View Post
Well, this night when they ended the negotiations for the day (after 15 hours on Thursday) to get some sleep, the Norwegian mediator said that the two parties were closer each other than ever. Earlier in the evening, the Swedish mediator said that these negotiations were the most complicated he had experienced in 30 years of experience as a mediator. So sure, negotiations are ongoing (today is the third day efter they resumed), but I think that all bets are off.
My quote was the what the Norwegian SAS negotiator said after ending negotiations late last night. In context, and translated, she said that "negotiations have moved back and forth, but now we are a bit more back one can safely say".

The last aside comment sounded very pessimistic, especially in th etone she used.
ksu is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 4:33 am
  #253  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LAX, SFO
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 245
Well, they accepted our bags at check-in and were walking to the gate now!

Lets see - will talk to the crew and find out why this plane goes when most others are cancelled
uptwn132 and Tomas E like this.
AeoNKiNG is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 4:46 am
  #254  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SBP
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by Tomas E View Post
There has been one flight per day LYR-OSL operating for the last couple of days. I found news item in Norwegian from earlier today which says that the pilot union had extended the exception from the strike for Svalbard for the rest of July:
https://www.dagsavisen.no/nyheter/in...-for-svalbard/
Originally they had made an exception until Sunday to fly home stranded passengers. (I think essential deliveries to Svalbard was also an argument for the previous exception?)
I think this is a case of SAS not yet having updated their flight status page further ahead than the 16th for LYR-OSL. The 17th should already have been safe under the previous exception.
So I suggest you fly to LYR tomorrow (EDIT: I didn't see your edit, but fly there when you're supposed to!), enjoy your stay there, and there should be a good chance that you'll be able to come back on the 18th! I'm not saying that it's 100% sure, but this summer it seems no flight is 100% sure.
My risk tolerance is too low and I didn't end up flying to Svalbard.

EDIT: Looks like we got it squared away to go next June. Looks like I should have just gone, but now I have a bunch of non-refundable bookings to fly to Dublin/London so this all ended up quite a mess and ended up costing me over $1000. Thanks SAS.

Last edited by catbox9; Jul 15, 22 at 5:03 am
catbox9 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 22, 5:10 am
  #255  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NBO YEG
Programs: QR EK AC BA TK 9W AY
Posts: 26
Credit card issues with rebooking

Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
My risk tolerance is too low and I didn't end up flying to Svalbard.

Tried talking to an agent at the airport and again at the lounge, but they all said I need to call SAS in order to change my ticket. My new ticket is supposed to leave tomorrow (I'll be in Dublin and can't go). The website is incredibly broken and I can't exactly spend all day every day on the phone trying to get a hold of someone.

Any way I can get these tickets to be changed to a different day or refunded (it says right on the page I'm eligible to change the date at no cost)? This seems incredibly unfair. Every other airline I've ever needed to rebook let me do it without even the slightest bit of effort.

Slightly related, they won't even issue my tickets because of an issue with the credit card. That makes no sense as my credit card didn't change and they didn't ask for credit card info when I changed the date.
Try to buy something small on that card and enter your PIN. We were having problems with hotel bookings because we were tapping and to Visa it looked like a stolen card. So now we always insist in entering a PIN, and alternate cards so we have recently validated transactions.

The strike started the day after we landed in Berlin, and we also have SAS tickets via Toronto for the return.

We were planning on Svalbard but it looks too unsure at the moment.

Good luck
oneboyincoach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread