Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:23 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I live just outside of Molde a small town on Norway's west coast, there is no rail alternative to flying, SAS and the pilots who fly for them have ruined my families first summer holiday in 3 years, for this I will never forgive them. I have flights this Sunday to Barcelona via Oslo. SK sent a rebooking notification today, for the following Sunday, this is not good the hotel I've booking in Barcelona is booked out the following and my older son and wife can't come because they are at back at work, neither can change their weeks off. The next issue is the dog hotel for our dog, that can't be changed to another week, we struggled to get her into a hotel due to the govt booking almost all the available places for Ukrainian refugees pets [mod edit]
As can be seen from my nick, I live in the next town up the coast. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of alternatives you are listing. First of all, there are land based alternatives: Night coach from Vestnes, just across the fjord from Molde to OSL and Oslo, buses to Bergen (one change) and Trondheim. There is a rail alternative at Ĺndalsnes, just about one hour away, with a connecting bus service. And MOL has an alternative service on DY. Of course, now they are completely booked, but a couple of weeks ago, it was still possible to book good refundable alternatives to prepare for a strike. Indeed: that's what my family has done.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Since it looks like the strike will continue, I'll add my DP, in case it helps others.

First, I booked through an OTA. TATL in Plus, and this was my outbound portion. They were completely useless, even though they answered calls quickly. I'm pretty sure that the options they gave me (1 day+ later or refund) were pulled from whatever database/program SAS uses (I think oliver2002 posted upthread), since the SAS agent also offered the same flights.

Didn't wait for the rebooking SMS/email and called SAS. Decent ~1 hour hold time, which wasn't too bad. However, the options were ridiculous. Double/triple connections the next day were offered, despite plenty of seats being sold on AC, LH, LO, LX, TK, UA, etc. for the original day. The first (and "best") option wasn't even *A. The very friendly and competent agent's hands were definitely tied. I asked about providing flight numbers to see if they could manually force it, but was told that wasn't possible. The agent was knowledgeable and walked me through the search parameters they tried. I do wonder if feeding them alternate flights would work under "normal" cancellations...

Being flexible with dates gave me a *A option that I had researched in advance, albeit for a different day. So, in terms of knowing the ideal alternate routings, it was a good exercise to use Google flights (or whatever tools) beforehand. But in terms of actually getting onto your preferred flights that should have availability, it didn't help.

Bottom line: Just because you see *A flights with plenty of seats for sale, it doesn't mean you can get it.
andrew3000 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Im a new user
DB will happily sell tickets for sold out trains and won't inform you until after you insert your credit card information and try to pay.
They sell tickets for sold-out trains without first getting paid? Sounds unbelievable to me, and would be news to me if that is how it goes.

Originally Posted by the810
First of all, if someone travels 25 hours, they're probably use night trains somewhere along the way, so not entire 25 hours are spent on travel, some of that is covered by sleep.

Anyway, I got to the age when I'm simply useless on my travel day. Even if it was a short one hour flight, to whole experience just destroys me and I won't do anything else on that day. So I might as well take a more comfortable option, I won't be missing on anything.

Obviously, YMMV, it's not for everyone. But there is some group of people who find trains better option even if they take significantly longer.
Yes. I take some trips by train that take longer than flying, and yet the train can work out much better for me at times than flying.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Question on EU261: Our ARN-CPH-FAO flight was canceled and they offered a rebooking on SK/BA. Their suggested flight arrives earlier than our original but it leaves over two hours earlier. I think EU261 applies due to the departure time:
  • less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing you to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach your final destination less
    than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
Am I correct in this interpretation? That would be 400 euro per ticket? Not clear on whether it is 100% of that amount or 50% as the next clause describes arrival time but not departure time:

"This compensation may be reduced by 50% if the arrival time of the alternative flight does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked by 2 hours (flights falling under A), 3 hours (flights falling under B) or 4 hours (flights falling under C). "
Tennen likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Tennen
Bottom line: Just because you see *A flights with plenty of seats for sale, it doesn't mean you can get it.
As mentioned before, most airlines have programmed their systems to restrict availability to SAS booking office IDs.
Tennen likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
As mentioned before, most airlines have programmed their systems to restrict availability to SAS booking office IDs.
Why? Seems a good way to get rid of open seats at the last minute....
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Out of curiosity how does this align with 652d? Aren't airlines in the same group at least basically required to endorse these tickets?
JR67 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by JR67
Why? Seems a good way to get rid of open seats at the last minute....
The operating carrier only gets the coupon value of the fare collected by SAS. So they might get peanuts for that seat while they could sell a full fare ticket to a desparate traveller trying to get out...

poshul : if you manage to snag a seat, they (SAL *A) auto endorse it, no issues there. To move it to OAL you theoretically need an endorsement first.
JR67 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Tomas E
Today’s SK903 ARN-EWR actually flew (currently north of Iceland). It must be the first ”outgoing” long haul SK flight since the start of the strike. Possibly flown by the chief pilot and two(?) other pilots in managerial position?

It was listed as ”scheduled” unlike the other days which were ”likely to be cancelled”.

Tomorrow’s return flight (Thu 14 July) SK904 EWR-ARN is also listed as ”scheduled”. Just as you’d expect if the return flight is operated by the same crew after rest. So tomorrow’s SK904 should be safe.
I am booked on CPH-EWR tomorrow and it has not yet been canceled. However, they have already canceled all of the other CPH-US flights tomorrow so seems strange... maybe this is a good sign?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
I am booked on CPH-EWR tomorrow and it has not yet been canceled. However, they have already canceled all of the other CPH-US flights tomorrow so seems strange... maybe this is a good sign?
Have you checked SAS flight status page? It's listed as "likely to be cancelled", so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high unless there's a breakthrough in negotiations tonight, despite a lack of real news from the negotiations over the last two days.
https://www.flysas.com/travel/flight...alStation=EWR&
The flight that actually took place (ARN-EWR) was listed as "Scheduled" the day before.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
It's my experience that CPH-SFO flights get cancelled at 8:50 the day before.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Stuck at YYZ alone because MS refused to check me in because my Christian name doesn't appear as the first given name. Now Mr and the kids are on the way home and I'm on the line with SK for over 94 minutes now. I have no idea when I'll get through to them.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Tomas E
Have you checked SAS flight status page? It's listed as "likely to be cancelled", so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high unless there's a breakthrough in negotiations tonight, despite a lack of real news from the negotiations over the last two days.
https://www.flysas.com/travel/flight...alStation=EWR&
The flight that actually took place (ARN-EWR) was listed as "Scheduled" the day before.
Okay yeah, then it's most likely canceled unless major agreements happen tonight. But why would they cancel all of the other flights to US and leave this one as 'likely to be canceled'?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:11 pm
O62

Originally Posted by nacho
Stuck at YYZ alone because MS refused to check me in because my Christian name doesn't appear as the first given name. Now Mr and the kids are on the way home and I'm on the line with SK for over 94 minutes now. I have no idea when I'll get through to them.
It took 2 hours on the US number for me after being told 60 minutes. I never got through on the Norwegian number, was on hold for 2+ hours.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by O62
It took 2 hours on the US number for me after being told 60 minutes. I never got through on the Norwegian number, was on hold for 2+ hours.
Waited over 2 hours and I tried the Danish number now. The US number has a waiting time of 177 minutes. I guess I'll have to camp at YYZ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.