SAS strike from 4 July 2022

Old Jul 11, 22, 4:46 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Flyover Country
Posts: 15
Cancelled TATL flight for Tuesday, auto generated email - “a rebooking process starts immediately” and a link to EC261 rights, but have to contact SAS for compensation I gather. Not sure if we’ll see new flights or not, but hope so! Was cancelled at 8:30am Sweden time.

For those who got new flights, how long after the ‘a rebooking process has started’ email did they come?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 13, 22 at 11:57 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
ucla95 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 5:47 am
  #167  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
For those who got new flights, how long after the ‘a rebooking process has started’ email did they come?
About 3.5-4 hours for the "we haven't been able to rebook you, sorry" SMS, for a westbound Transatlantic with CPH stopover. Both legs were cancelled this morning between 8 & 9am CPH time.

There were 2 cancellation SMS around 8:30-ish (1 for each flight), then 2 more saying "we give up". The 2nd of these contained the booking ref and confirmation that the itinerary has been cancelled and they won't rebook. Good luck!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 13, 22 at 11:58 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
andrew3000 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 6:54 am
  #168  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: AS 75K, SK, UR, MR
Posts: 2,815
Originally Posted by andrew3000 View Post
There were 2 cancellation SMS around 8:30-ish (1 for each flight), then 2 more saying "we give up". The 2nd of these contained the booking ref and confirmation that the itinerary has been cancelled and they won't rebook. Good luck!
I also got such an email, hours after I had already visited the CPH Service Point desk and gotten rebooked.
vanillabean is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 6:55 am
  #169  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 39000ft
Posts: 713
I have to say that my refund (for a flight bough via flysas.com) came in in 1-2 days after the cancellation hit hutton.
jerry_greece is online now  
Old Jul 11, 22, 9:44 am
  #170  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Flyover Country
Posts: 15
Chase Ult Rewards told me they can only refund or change the dates and stay on SAS, If I want to be rebooked on another airline have to call SAS. All circuits are busy on the SAS line now and the chatbot is saying 'no humans available'
ucla95 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 9:59 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25
I have a VIE-CPH-SFO flight on July 14. If my flight gets cancelled, would they be able to rebook me on any start alliance flight that I can see on Google Flights?

Last edited by kiteloop; Jul 11, 22 at 10:05 am
kiteloop is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 11:05 am
  #172  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Flyover Country
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
Chase Ult Rewards told me they can only refund or change the dates and stay on SAS, If I want to be rebooked on another airline have to call SAS. All circuits are busy on the SAS line now and the chatbot is saying 'no humans available'
Got an email out of the blue (about 9.5 hours from the orig 'rebooking process started' email) that I have been rebooked eastbound TATL. Super long layover in LHR but who cares.Orig ticket was booked on Chase Travel portal.
andrew3000 likes this.
ucla95 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 11:21 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 26
How likely are you to be rebooked in your originally booked travel class? Booked direct flights in Plus and I'm just going to say no if I get offered a Y TATL. I also have a refundable back up trip in Premium Economy for that eventuality.
American_Dane is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 1:22 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: United GS, SFO
Posts: 426
My wife and I were 'stranded' in CPH trying to get back to SFO on July 9. Booked on SK935 in 'J' class. SAS cancelled on the 8th in the AM. I called the number in Sweden and got through in 10 minutes or less. Agent was super nice, but could not find any way to get us back to SFO until July 14th (which was a no-go). I gave her multiple options that I had found online (CPH-LHR-SFO, CPH-IST-SFO, CPH-DOH-SFO, etc.) but she could not find any of them (or could not book them, who knows...). Honestly I don't think she tried very hard. After 15 minute she gave up and said we were on our own. 6 hours later I got a mail from SAS saying they were unable to rebook us. A 10 minute call to United and I had us booked CPH-LHR (SK) on July 9 with an overnight and LHR-SFO (UA) on July 10th. It was super expensive (one-way, last minute C-class ticket), but we needed to get back to SFO.
I submitted all the expenses to SAS for reimbursement. Now the waiting game begins.
I was a bit floored as the July 9 CPH-LHR flight went out with several open seats and the July 10 LHR-SFO flight on UA had 4 seats for sale in the C-cabin until a few hours before departure...
So it is almost like SK is asking for trouble (or just want customers to do the work themselves).
If they give me a hard time on reimbursement I will just have our credit card issuer dispute the entire original SK ticket as they did not provide the service sold. I can't hardly wait to deal with all of this - not! :-)
andrew3000 likes this.
Euroboy is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 1:36 pm
  #175  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFO, SJC
Programs: AS MVP 75K
Posts: 281
Is it better to wait for their systems to book you on alternate flights? Or pre-empt and feed them with options that you can find online?
wp_kid is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 1:41 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
My wife and I were 'stranded' in CPH trying to get back to SFO on July 9. Booked on SK935 in 'J' class. SAS cancelled on the 8th in the AM. I called the number in Sweden and got through in 10 minutes or less. Agent was super nice, but could not find any way to get us back to SFO until July 14th (which was a no-go). I gave her multiple options that I had found online (CPH-LHR-SFO, CPH-IST-SFO, CPH-DOH-SFO, etc.) but she could not find any of them (or could not book them, who knows...). Honestly I don't think she tried very hard. After 15 minute she gave up and said we were on our own. 6 hours later I got a mail from SAS saying they were unable to rebook us. A 10 minute call to United and I had us booked CPH-LHR (SK) on July 9 with an overnight and LHR-SFO (UA) on July 10th. It was super expensive (one-way, last minute C-class ticket), but we needed to get back to SFO.
I submitted all the expenses to SAS for reimbursement. Now the waiting game begins.
I was a bit floored as the July 9 CPH-LHR flight went out with several open seats and the July 10 LHR-SFO flight on UA had 4 seats for sale in the C-cabin until a few hours before departure...
So it is almost like SK is asking for trouble (or just want customers to do the work themselves).
If they give me a hard time on reimbursement I will just have our credit card issuer dispute the entire original SK ticket as they did not provide the service sold. I can't hardly wait to deal with all of this - not! :-)
Please let us know how that process goes. I was really tempted to rebook my FRA->ARN->ORD J tickets with Lufthansa, but the price differential was about 4000$, and I had a nasty feeling that I wasn't gonna get that from SK short of an extended legal battle.
poshul is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 2:17 pm
  #177  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,943
Originally Posted by kiteloop View Post
I have a VIE-CPH-SFO flight on July 14. If my flight gets cancelled, would they be able to rebook me on any start alliance flight that I can see on Google Flights?
They should be able to do so, but they aren’t always necessarily able and willing to do so. It’s sort of like roulette with SAS. I tend to get what I want with rebookings more easily at CPH and OSL than on the phone with SAS. But I also have instances where SAS rebooked me at the airports and then days or weeks later the ticketed PNR just goes stale unexpectedly.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 2:48 pm
  #178  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The US Chapter 11 trick is the new trick for SAS. The pilots’ union lawyers are probably out of their league in dealing with SAS’s counsel and strategy, for the unions are more used to dealing with more traditional dynamics in Scandinavia.
.
The question is how binding a decision of a US court would be for a Swedish company, negotiating according to the employment laws of three different countries.
ksu is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 2:56 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
Posts: 1,256
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
The question is how binding a decision of a US court would be for a Swedish company, negotiating according to the employment laws of three different countries.
IANAL, but you'd be surprised how binding decisions in courts in various countries are on other countries. Generally if you do any business at ALL in a country, court decisions are binding (frequently for example Canadian companies seize assets of US ones who think court decisions aren't binding on them and vice versa). If you get a judgement and a company doesn't comply you're just asking for someone to get a seizure writ (that's what they are here in Canada) and enforcing it on property located in CAnada, for example, but the US is fairly similar. You can for example seize a plane, and sell it, to get back your money, though a judge would probably want you to be a bit more reasonable. . .
atsak is offline  
Old Jul 11, 22, 3:03 pm
  #180  
ksu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Well it is a new trick because previous management gave into the unions after a few days on every previous occasion and see where that got the airline. This case needs SK to stand ground and not give in even if it comes at the cost of bankruptcy to wake up the unions but in general Swedish and Danish governments/industry leaders to the damage these unions are causing to businesses and the economy. We live in the era of individual compensation plans and performance management, not in the 1950s of industrial Scandinavia where unions did the dirty work. Pilots do not need unions and unions shouldn't be defaulting the national flag carrier.
You seem to miss the point of the Scandinavian three-party system of labour negotiations, with the government as the third party. With a strict agreement that the heavy industries, prone to international competition, negotiate first means that they set the level of increase of renumeration for the entire labour market, making it very difficult for other industries (and the public sector) to give higher raises. This keeps the labour market in check. In Norway, this is called Frontfagsmodellen. And if someone actually gets a higher raise than Frontfagene, it's not the employers that protest, it's the other unions! And if the government stops a strike by imposing compulsory arbitration, the pay board will usually end up by imposing the raise from Frontfagene or the last offer from the employers.

One of the reasons that the recent flight mechanic strike in Norway met with very little sympathy (unlike the pilot's strike) was that the mechanics demanded a raise of 18%, far above what the heavy industry got (4,7 % AFAIR). So the general Scandinavian point of view is that this model is not causing any damage in itself, it stabilizes the economy. The disruption comes, when someone, like the current SAS CEO, is trying to impose totally different ideas, which destabilize the equilibrium. It is not very successful.

Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
You are correct. I can get to Oslo, but the flights to Svalbard are looking quite dicey. To further complicate this, it looks like they are going to allow flights up to and including the 17th to Svalbard due to the remoteness and the fact people have been stuck there. I'm supposed to go back on the 18th.

Not sure being stranded in Svalbard is what I'm after. I'd be happy with a refund on the hotel and eat all the other costs, but I got a very hard no from the hotel when I tried.
As Svalbard has got an exemption for the rest of the week, there is a good chance that it will be extended for the rest of the strike. The remoteness and lack of alternatives will not change. It's not just a question of visitors being stuck, it's the question of getting in essential supplies and securing emergency medical care.

In any case, negotiations are probably restarting now, with SAS signalling that they might be willing to actually negotiate.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 13, 22 at 11:59 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
ksu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread