SAS strike from 4 July 2022

Old Jul 10, 22, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
Going to airport this afternoon and try to get ourselves to VIE/FRA/MUC tonight to avoid getting stuck.
No dice. Everything is overbooked tonight and tomorrow.

Got off Arlanda Express around 4:40pm. No restrictions entering T5. Stood in line for over 90 minutes with other displaced travelers waiting to talk to a ticketing agent. Gave up, got our boarding passes, checked in our bags, and now we're chilling at the Clarion Arlanda.
Old Jul 10, 22, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Strike that.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I did not hear that one, but been busy with other things today, so could have slipped by me. But it is anyway suspended now, as the pilots want to increase pressure on SAS so that an agreement can be reached.
Sounds like striking pilots didn’t like the routes and/or rerouting that SAS were choosing as part of the one-off arrangement for flying back stranded charter tourists. Was the issue perhaps that the striking pilots didn’t want to fly as much to OSL and ARN and instead wanted the equipment to go where the mechanics are already on strike or not usually based?

It would be sort of ironic if the pilots were to strand themselves upon bringing back stranded charter flight tourists.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 22 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 10, 22, 1:47 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bengggggg View Post
As others have noted before, how would I be able to get the same price range as the original ticket on the day before the trip? Is this even compliant with the EU rules?
There is no such stipulation in EU261 that new tickets must be in the same price range, other airlines (*cough* Ryanair) would have a field day with such a stipulation.

Replacement tickets need to be under comparable conditions so you cant buy a business ticket to replace a cancelled flight in economy. I would also guess SAS can rightfully deny a full flex economy ticket if original ticket was in Go Light.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 2:38 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Strike that.

Sounds like striking pilots didnt like the routes and/or rerouting that SAS were choosing as part of the one-off arrangement for flying back stranded charter tourists. Was the issue perhaps that the striking pilots didnt want to fly as much to OSL and ARN and instead wanted the equipment to go where the mechanics are already on strike or not usually based?

It would be sort of ironic if the pilots were to strand themselves upon bringing back stranded charter flight tourists.
No, they have given an exemption for OSL-TOS-LYR for the entire coming week, so they do not appear to want to avoid OSL.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Strike that.

Sounds like striking pilots didnt like the routes and/or rerouting that SAS were choosing as part of the one-off arrangement for flying back stranded charter tourists. Was the issue perhaps that the striking pilots didnt want to fly as much to OSL and ARN and instead wanted the equipment to go where the mechanics are already on strike or not usually based?

Yes that's the pilots' story, apparently it is too easy to get passengers home from Rhodes and a few other places the story is more likely that the pilots are unhappy with how many flights SAS manages to operate with Link and Connect, and thus the claim that "SAS management broke the agreement, and flew to destinations they were not supposed to"

I have not seen that agreement, so I don't known what was in it, SK management is of course saying they did not such thing. But to be honest I think the pilots scored an own goal here, people still needing to go home, and people reading the tabloids, will just see that the pilots did not see them as in need of going home, whereas it was fine to fly other guests. It will not build a positive story for the pilots.
tr3k likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 10, 22 at 5:32 pm
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:02 pm

Yes that's their story, apparently it is too easy to get passengers home from Rhodes and a few other places the story is more likely that the pilots are unhappy with how many flights SAS manages to operate with Link and Connect, and thus the claim that "SAS management broke the agreement, and flew to destinations they were not supposed to"

I have not seen that agreement, so I don't known what was in it, SK management is of course saying they did not such thing. But to be honest I think the pilots scored an own goal here, people still needing to go home, and people reading the tabloids, will just see that the pilots did not see them as in need of going home, whereas it was fine to fly other guests. It will not build a positive story for the pilots.
What exactly is whose story?

Perhaps the striking pilots weren’t strategic enough. They seemed more eager to try to fly back the stranded passengers than to try for or wait for SAS management to work together quickly with them on writing down a flight by flight agreement about what routes to fly and not fly.

It should have been obvious to the striking pilots union that even any temporary, one-off capacity they would provide — for whatever purpose — may ease the pressure on SAS management to use non-striking pilots to get the stranded passengers back. Those stranded passengers cost SAS by the day too — or so they may to whatever extent SAS doesn’t manage to also get those liabilities wiped out via the US Chapter 11 bankruptcy scheme.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flying IAH-LHR-OSL (second segment on SAS) and then 2 days later OSL-LYR on SAS. Flights technically not cancelled, but at this point the idea of Flying to Europe to maybe get to Norway and then wait 2 days to maybe get to Svalbard and then maybe get home sounds awful.

Several questions....

1) What are the odds I can drop the LHR-OSL segment (I booked via United) and either go to London, or add a LHR-??? segment (I'd rather not stay in London, but I'd settle for that and eat the cost of a ticket elsewhere)
2) I booked a bunch non-refundable hotels and activities in Norway. My credit cards have trip cancellation insurance but nothing has been cancelled as of yet. What are the odds I can get a refund? If I voluntarily change my routing and the flight is later cancelled would that help? I guess it's worth noting that the OSL-LYR-OSL flight on SAS was purchased directly through SAS so I could always just risk it. Every flight to Svalbard has been cancelled since July 5 from what I see.
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
What exactly is whose story?

Perhaps the striking pilots werent strategic enough. They seemed more eager to try to fly back the stranded passengers than to try for or wait for SAS management to work together quickly with them on writing down a flight by flight agreement about what routes to fly and not fly.

It should have been obvious to the striking pilots union that even any temporary, one-off capacity they would provide for whatever purpose may ease the pressure on SAS management to use non-striking pilots to get the stranded passengers back. Those stranded passengers cost SAS by the day too or so they may to whatever extent SAS doesnt manage to also get those liabilities wiped out via the US Chapter 11 bankruptcy scheme.
The pilots' story....

Yeah, I agree. The pilots did not think more than one move ahead in the chess game.
Old Jul 10, 22, 5:38 pm

The one with the nuclear button has the advantage. In this case, SAS management has the strategic and tactical nukes. Given that SAS management went for the nuclear option and had pressed the button, SAS pilots should have realized they needed to up their strategy game as the pilots’ attempted retributive strike — to SAS’s bankruptcy game — was already subject to being an underpowered response from the start.

Old dogs more typically don’t learn new tricks easily.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 22 at 5:47 pm
Old Jul 10, 22, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one with the nuclear button has the advantage. In this case, SAS management has the strategic and tactical nukes. Given that SAS management went for the nuclear option and had pressed the button, SAS pilots should have realized they needed to up their strategy game as the pilots attempted retributive strike to SASs bankruptcy game was already subject to being an underpowered response from the start.

Old dogs more typically dont learn new tricks easily.
Apparently the pilots' issue is that management is not following "the spirit of the agreement", so they are following the letter of it....?
Old Jul 10, 22, 10:02 pm

Apparently the pilots' issue is that management is not following "the spirit of the agreement", so they are following the letter of it....?

When an agreement with a scheming party or between scheming parties doesn’t get papered to list specific routes covered, what else can be expected than that the more scheming party will take more advantage of the relative vagueness of an agreement!

The navet of the striking pilots’ side seems to be on display when that “spirit of the agreement” becomes their retort. If only the pilots union thought of their member’s employer as if the employer is a narcissistic psychopath with no respect for the truth, then perhaps they would follow a different course and perhaps be a bit better positioned to try to avoid ending up with such complaints about dealing with a party that may be behaving like a narcissistic psychopath with no respect for the truth. When encountering such characters, it’s usually the less honest, more manipulative side that is more reluctant to paper things and paper things more specifically.
Old Jul 10, 22, 10:31 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The one with the nuclear button has the advantage. In this case, SAS management has the strategic and tactical nukes. Given that SAS management went for the nuclear option and had pressed the button, SAS pilots should have realized they needed to up their strategy game as the pilots’ attempted retributive strike — to SAS’s bankruptcy game — was already subject to being an underpowered response from the start.

Old dogs more typically don’t learn new tricks easily.
Well it is a new trick because previous management gave into the unions after a few days on every previous occasion and see where that got the airline. This case needs SK to stand ground and not give in even if it comes at the cost of bankruptcy to wake up the unions but in general Swedish and Danish governments/industry leaders to the damage these unions are causing to businesses and the economy. We live in the era of individual compensation plans and performance management, not in the 1950s of industrial Scandinavia where unions did the dirty work. Pilots do not need unions and unions shouldn't be defaulting the national flag carrier.

When an agreement with a scheming party or between scheming parties doesn’t get papered to list specific routes covered, what else can be expected than that the more scheming party will take more advantage of the relative vagueness of an agreement!

The navet of the striking pilots’ side seems to be on display when that “spirit of the agreement” becomes their retort. If only the pilots union thought of their member’s employer as if the employer is a narcissistic psychopath with no respect for the truth, then perhaps they would follow a different course and perhaps be a bit better positioned to try to avoid ending up with such complaints about dealing with a party that may be behaving like a narcissistic psychopath with no respect for the truth. When encountering such characters, it’s usually the less honest, more manipulative side that is more reluctant to paper things and paper things more specifically.
Whatever you're smoking, pass the bong.
Old Jul 10, 22, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Well it is a new trick because previous management gave into the unions after a few days on every previous occasion and see where that got the airline. This case needs SK to stand ground and not give in even if it comes at the cost of bankruptcy to wake up the unions but in general Swedish and Danish governments/industry leaders to the damage these unions are causing to businesses and the economy. We live in the era of individual compensation plans and performance management, not in the 1950s of industrial Scandinavia where unions did the dirty work. Pilots do not need unions and unions shouldn't defaulting the national flagcarrier.
The US Chapter 11 trick is the new trick for SAS. The pilots’ union lawyers are probably out of their league in dealing with SAS’s counsel and strategy, for the unions are more used to dealing with more traditional dynamics in Scandinavia.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Whatever you're smoking, pass the bong.
Don’t smoke — never have and never will. Nor will I ever encourage it. And the BAC is such that even the Saudi and Swedish police would let me pass the sobriety checkpoints on the road.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 22 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 10, 22, 11:15 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
Flying IAH-LHR-OSL (second segment on SAS) and then 2 days later OSL-LYR on SAS. Flights technically not cancelled, but at this point the idea of Flying to Europe to maybe get to Norway and then wait 2 days to maybe get to Svalbard and then maybe get home sounds awful.

Several questions....

1) What are the odds I can drop the LHR-OSL segment (I booked via United) and either go to London, or add a LHR-??? segment (I'd rather not stay in London, but I'd settle for that and eat the cost of a ticket elsewhere)
2) I booked a bunch non-refundable hotels and activities in Norway. My credit cards have trip cancellation insurance but nothing has been cancelled as of yet. What are the odds I can get a refund? If I voluntarily change my routing and the flight is later cancelled would that help? I guess it's worth noting that the OSL-LYR-OSL flight on SAS was purchased directly through SAS so I could always just risk it. Every flight to Svalbard has been cancelled since July 5 from what I see.
Check the operator: most LHR-OSL/ARN/CPH flights are with SAS Connect (occasionally XFly or CityJet at the weekends) and have not been affected by the strike.

Svalbard much more likely to be affected.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 10, 22, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad View Post
Check the operator: most LHR-OSL/ARN/CPH flights are with SAS Connect (occasionally XFly or CityJet at the weekends) and have not been affected by the strike.

Svalbard much more likely to be affected.
You are correct. I can get to Oslo, but the flights to Svalbard are looking quite dicey. To further complicate this, it looks like they are going to allow flights up to and including the 17th to Svalbard due to the remoteness and the fact people have been stuck there. I'm supposed to go back on the 18th.

Not sure being stranded in Svalbard is what I'm after. I'd be happy with a refund on the hotel and eat all the other costs, but I got a very hard no from the hotel when I tried.

Search this Thread