Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS strike from 4 July 2022 [and related Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbell
I booked through chase travel ultimate rewards which is basically Expedia.
Unfortunately, it is not. It was Expedia until a few years ago, but switched to a no-name OTC now. As a result, customer service quality is way worse than it used to be.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:36 pm

Sas flights msp to Copenhagen July 13th family of 4

It isn't looking good for our wed flights to Copenhagen. It is the start of a month long trip with multiple hotels that can't be changed. I think I found a reasonable alternative of flights plus train that only involves two transfers. We are trying to minimize transfers with 2 kids under 5. My question is does anyone know if we can do anything except wait for them to cancel (which might not be until Tue)? Also once they cancel what do we do to get the highest reimbursement? Are we eligible for refund plus compensation to help pay for our new transportation? We do have trip insurance but they said basically nothing can happen until they cancel. Any advice or experiences are appreciated.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Jolene Johnson Armstrong , I'm in very much the same boat. SAS won't do anything until the flights are officially cancelled (well, except to offer the chance to rebook at a future date with no change fee, but that doesn't help those of us who need to be there on a specific date). What I've done is to book my own alternate arrangements so that, no matter what else happens, my family's trip will be able to happen. Granted, this came at an enormous cost that I don't know if I'll ever get reimbursed.

I've seen varying reports online of what we do to get reimbursed, and to what extent we will actually get reimbursed. I think what's most likely is just getting my SAS fare refunded and then the EU261 amounts, maybe. Best case SAS will pay for the replacement flights I already booked.

Good luck to you!
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Jolene Johnson Armstrong , I'm in very much the same boat. SAS won't do anything until the flights are officially cancelled (well, except to offer the chance to rebook at a future date with no change fee, but that doesn't help those of us who need to be there on a specific date). What I've done is to book my own alternate arrangements so that, no matter what else happens, my family's trip will be able to happen. Granted, this came at an enormous cost that I don't know if I'll ever get reimbursed.

I've seen varying reports online of what we do to get reimbursed, and to what extent we will actually get reimbursed. I think what's most likely is just getting my SAS fare refunded and then the EU261 amounts, maybe. Best case SAS will pay for the replacement flights I already booked.

Good luck to you!
Same situation here. Flying ARN-CPH-FAO on Thursday but make backup plans on Eurowings for a lot more. If SAS cancels and offer refund, am I supposed to accept the refund if I want to file EU261?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Seems like SAS has been canceling westbound TATL flights (and I'm assuming return flights) around 9am each morning for the following day. Today, it was just after 8am for tomorrow's flights.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They managed to fly most of the charter tour guests home over the weekend, despite the ongoing strike. But as expected, no new departures.

https://check-in.dk/sas-aflyser-76-charterflyvninger/
Because of the Danish mechanics strike, weren’t at least some of those charter tourists not returned to their home airport but instead routed to OSL and ARN for the planes to get their maintenance checks there?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:04 am

SFO returns?

Hi all - hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here. Family of 5 returning to SFO from ARN via CPH in 2 days. As it is an important family trip, I dug deep into the budget and paid for business class both ways.

As of now both flights showing as "likely cancelled", but SAS is sitting on their hands until the status changes to cancelled, which will probably be tomorrow around this time.

In the meantime I booked fully refundable returns for us on (1) Finnair in business class at 3x the cost and (2) Air France/KLM in economy at roughly the same cost as our original business class flight.

Questions:
1. How has SAS been rebooking earlier ARN-CPH-SFO or even just CPH-SFO passengers, particularly business class? Wondering what to expect.
2. My plan is to cancel Finnair (no way I would pay that much for a flight) right before I talk to SAS and then point that out as a rebooking option. If they don't go for it, and the SAS rebooking option is poor, we ask SAS for a refund and take the Air France/KLM flights home in economy.
3. Any other advice on what we should do or what we should expect? We just want to get home without too much inconvenience or added cost.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
After being put on hold for almost an hour, and just before getting accidentally hung up on after 30 minutes, the CSR basically said there is no availability tonight or tomorrow.

Very glad I bought full Y fare a few days ago (most of which will be recouped by travel insurance). Not happy to see that the afternoon VIE-MUC has been consistently 60-90 minutes late, which would mean missing our connection to DEN. Going to airport this afternoon and try to get ourselves to VIE/FRA/MUC tonight to avoid getting stuck.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by foodiesf
Hi all - hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here. Family of 5 returning to SFO from ARN via CPH in 2 days. As it is an important family trip, I dug deep into the budget and paid for business class both ways.

As of now both flights showing as "likely cancelled", but SAS is sitting on their hands until the status changes to cancelled, which will probably be tomorrow around this time.

In the meantime I booked fully refundable returns for us on (1) Finnair in business class at 3x the cost and (2) Air France/KLM in economy at roughly the same cost as our original business class flight.

Questions:
1. How has SAS been rebooking earlier ARN-CPH-SFO or even just CPH-SFO passengers, particularly business class? Wondering what to expect.
2. My plan is to cancel Finnair (no way I would pay that much for a flight) right before I talk to SAS and then point that out as a rebooking option. If they don't go for it, and the SAS rebooking option is poor, we ask SAS for a refund and take the Air France/KLM flights home in economy.
3. Any other advice on what we should do or what we should expect? We just want to get home without too much inconvenience or added cost.

Thanks in advance!
Good luck. I don't have experience with the current strike but last time I was affected by a SAS strike I turned up at the airport (I wasn't aware of the strike) and was rebooked on another airline and ended up getting to my destination before my original scheduled arrival and in the same class of travel (business). So perhaps others can advise - is it with turning up nice and early and see what pans out?

By the way - I have a SAS flight booked for next week but it's an Air Baltic wet lease so fingers crossed.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by foodiesf

Questions:

Thanks in advance!
My experience with SAS is that they will rebook you in business class, but they won't work very hard on finding options for you in the automatic rebooking. This means that the second your flight is officially cancelled, jump on the phone and present them with the options you want to be rebooked to. Be persistent and insist if they say it's not possible. In the last SAS strike, I was stuck at CDG after flying in from Asia, and there were literally no options available, but I found one myself via IST which they rebooked into K-class for me.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:04 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Exemption for charter flights suspended.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Because of the Danish mechanics strike, weren’t at least some of those charter tourists not returned to their home airport but instead routed to OSL and ARN for the planes to get their maintenance checks there?
Now the pilots have reversed the exemption for charter flights for returning stranded charter passengers, claiming that SAS have abused the exemption by operating flights to well-served destinations where alternatives exist, not just to destinations where there are no or few alternatives.

The pilots have given an exemptions for a single flight to Longyearbyen tomorrow, even if DY have some flights there. SAS customer service, was up for some ridicule as they recommended passengers stranded at Svalbard to check alternatives such as train or bus....

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/...rturister-hjem
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: several:)
Reroute vs. cancel & rebook

This thread is so useful and interesting. I have a revenue business class flight in a few days (booked via SAS directly) and am hoping to be rebooked - and will present them routing options if the automatic rebooking is not doable.
For those who have been through this already: Would you chat with them or call them; what's faster/better in your opinion?
If there's no suitable routing that they can rebook me into, it sounds like I have a write to cancel the outbound flight and buy a ticket with a different airline in the same booking class. What concerns me is the language on their page on cancelations:

"If you need to travel, for example if you are stranded on your destination, you may arrange alternative travel yourself and seek reimbursement from SAS. If we’re not able to rebook you on a new flight departing within the time frame of your original departure, you may book another airline ticket, take a train, bus or rent a car. We will reimburse the difference between your unused SAS ticket and the cost of your new transportation under comparable transport conditions upon presentation of receipts. If you choose to book alternative travel, please remember to cancel your ticket with SAS to get a refund for your unused ticket.
Please note that the cost for the alternative transportation must be in the same price range as your original ticket.

Remember to check with your insurance company to see if they cover any additional costs.
Note! You are also obliged to limit your costs if you seek reimbursements."
As others have noted before, how would I be able to get the same price range as the original ticket on the day before the trip? Is this even compliant with the EU rules?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by sydunipete
Good luck. I don't have experience with the current strike but last time I was affected by a SAS strike I turned up at the airport (I wasn't aware of the strike) and was rebooked on another airline and ended up getting to my destination before my original scheduled arrival and in the same class of travel (business). So perhaps others can advise - is it with turning up nice and early and see what pans out?

By the way - I have a SAS flight booked for next week but it's an Air Baltic wet lease so fingers crossed.
Fingers crossed for you too! Thanks for sharing your experience, we will hope for something similar!
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
My experience with SAS is that they will rebook you in business class, but they won't work very hard on finding options for you in the automatic rebooking. This means that the second your flight is officially cancelled, jump on the phone and present them with the options you want to be rebooked to. Be persistent and insist if they say it's not possible. In the last SAS strike, I was stuck at CDG after flying in from Asia, and there were literally no options available, but I found one myself via IST which they rebooked into K-class for me.
Thanks - we are coming up with a list of options and will be ready. Hopefully at least one of them will be available tomorrow morning. Any sense of how quickly a flight that's released will show up in the SAS system? We bought a fully refundable backup flight on Finnair that I was hoping to cancel when I was on the phone with SAS and hopefully have them use for the rebooking.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I did not hear that one, but been busy with other things today, so could have slipped by me. But it is anyway suspended now, as the pilots want to increase pressure on SAS so that an agreement can be reached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.