Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Better/easier to overnight at CPH or ARN

Old May 30, 2022, 7:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Am considering a booking from BCN-ARN/CPH-YYZ this autumn, with an overnight connection in Scandinavia. Which is the more advisable airport to overnight in (will be using a hotel, not sleeping in the a'port).
Old May 30, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Both airports have good airport hotels, I would choose depending on flight times and preferred hotels. CPH is closer to the city, so greater selection (and more to do).
Old May 30, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
As alibi writes, CPH has the metro, so for the price of a cheap DOT ticket you can be in the city. ARN only has the bus and the very expensive Arlanda Express train.

I've never overnighted at CPH, but I've spent several nights at ARN. SkyCity is the mall that connects terminals 4 and 5 at ARN. Exit arrivals and follow the signs towards SkyCity.

Right there, inside SkyCity, is the Radisson Blu and the Clarion Hotel. You don't even need to walk outside. But if you walk straight past these two hotels, then go down an escalator and cross the street, there is the Comfort Hotel. This is in the same "family" as the Clarion Hotel (Nordic Choice) if you earn and spend Nordic Choice points, and is usually 200-300kr cheaper than the Clarion. It seems to be the airport hotel of choice for XFly, Norwegian and many other airlines. The rooms are very quiet and comfortable, and the breakfast is ok. If you don't mind walking a little further (3-5 minutes more) I recommend it instead of the Clarion or Radisson Blu.

(There are a couple of other hotels off airport, including the famous 747 that has been converted into a hostel, but all of these require a shuttle and I usually can't be -----d with that if I just want to fall into bed.)
Old May 30, 2022, 9:02 am

In CPH there are two hotels directly at the terminal as well. And dozens in the vicinity or the airport.... and hundreds if you take the metro downtown.

I would probably choose CPH over ARN for the overnight stay.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: Eurobonus gold, Finnair silver
I've heard that the security queues at ARN have been crazy the last few weeks >45 minutes. This might be an issue with going to CPH or ARN.

(edit: you're going in the Autumn so probably won't be a problem then...)
Old May 30, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by barbro66
I've heard that the security queues at ARN have been crazy the last few weeks >45 minutes. This might be an issue with going to CPH or ARN.

(edit: you're going in the Autumn so probably won't be a problem then...)
When I flew out of ARN two Sundays ago the lines were ridiculous. Fast track was empty, however, so if you have status you should need to worry much. If not, get there VERY early!

On the other hand, discussion here recently has pointed to very long lines at CPH, so I don't know if that is a big consideration. Quick and cheap access to city life is definitely in CPH's favor, though! Plus, CPH is a nicer city. Stockholm is definitely a PRETTIER city, but Copenhagen is far more interesting. (I live outside Malm and work in Stockholm, so I feel qualified to make that contentious remark...)
Old May 30, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both the Radisson and Clarion at ARN are just fine, and very conveniently located. I've never tried the Comfort alternative.

At CPH, the Clarion and Comfort are located close to the terminals, but not quite as convenient as at ARN. To reach the Comfort you need to go outside, although the distance can be kept to a minimum of you sneak through the Clarion lobby. The CPH Comfort is nice if you want to experience what it feels like to spend a night in jail, but that's the only thing it has to recommend it.

My preferred alternative to the Clarion is the Crowne Plaza, two train stops and a short walk from the airport terminals. For those coming from Sweden by train the Quality Hotel View could be an option.

Johan
Old May 30, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Both the Radisson and Clarion at ARN are just fine, and very conveniently located. I've never tried the Comfort alternative.

At CPH, the Clarion and Comfort are located close to the terminals, but not quite as convenient as at ARN. To reach the Comfort you need to go outside, although the distance can be kept to a minimum of you sneak through the Clarion lobby. The CPH Comfort is nice if you want to experience what it feels like to spend a night in jail, but that's the only thing it has to recommend it.

My preferred alternative to the Clarion is the Crowne Plaza, two train stops and a short walk from the airport terminals. For those coming from Sweden by train the Quality Hotel View could be an option.

Johan
Clarion, the former Hilton right? No need to get out in to the fresh jet fuel infused air around CPH. You can stay indoors all the way.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Clarion, the former Hilton right?
That's right. Perfectly OK hotel, but usually a lot more expensive that its ARN counterpart. During the pandemic prices were reasonable, and the hotel was of course very quiet. But not as quiet as the Crowne Plaza, where on occasion I was one of only a dozen guests or so.

Johan
Old May 30, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That's right. Perfectly OK hotel, but usually a lot more expensive that its ARN counterpart. During the pandemic prices were reasonable, and the hotel was of course very quiet. But not as quiet as the Crowne Plaza, where on occasion I was one of only a dozen guests or so.

Johan
Misread your post, thought the fresh air point was about Clarion....
Old May 30, 2022, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jamiel
Am considering a booking from BCN-ARN/CPH-YYZ this autumn, with an overnight connection in Scandinavia. Which is the more advisable airport to overnight in (will be using a hotel, not sleeping in the a'port).
I prefer CPH for overnighting. The two hotels at CPH are a better value for me than the ARN hotels, and I’m also game for going to Malmo if wanting to get more value out of money.. The Quality View hotel at Malmo-Hyllie has some very good prices at time, but my cost to use the Clarion or Comfort at CPH is low enough that it’s very rare that the Quality View is cheap enough to make that the reason to take it upon factoring in the sub-$30 24hr ticket to go between Copenhagen and Malmo. I also like the Covid testing “cost” for me at CPH.

One thing that is sort of a tie breaker for me nowadays would be the security line situation. At ARN I always have fast track security screening without having to play any games, but at CPH I don’t; however, CPH is just better for me when there are IRROPS.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 30, 2022 at 5:19 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 4:03 am

The CPH Comfort is nice if you want to experience what it feels like to spend a night in jail, but that's the only thing it has to recommend it.
Haha.... exactly what I told my wife after my first stay there.... the hallways really look like max security for the criminal insane...

But the rooms are quite ok, tiny but alright:

Only issue I have... which is a common thing in many hotels nowadays anyway... that it is impossible to shower without flooding the whole bathroom...
Old May 31, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by fassy
Haha.... exactly what I told my wife after my first stay there.... the hallways really look like max security for the criminal insane...

But the rooms are quite ok, tiny but alright:

Only issue I have... which is a common thing in many hotels nowadays anyway... that it is impossible to shower without flooding the whole bathroom...
Looks identical to Comfort ARN.

If you want a real prison experience, come to UME and stay in Gamla Fngelset. Actual prison cells. It was my employer's preferred hotel when inviting guests to Ume for a couple of years. Quite the welcome, especially for those on two-week assignments here.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
If you want a real prison experience, come to UME and stay in Gamla Fngelset. Actual prison cells. It was my employer's preferred hotel when inviting guests to Ume for a couple of years. Quite the welcome, especially for those on two-week assignments here.
Yeah, I know that one... to be honest, I found it quite a charming experience. I guess since with all the wooden flooring, white colored walls and open windows letting a lot of light in the building, it is just more friendly than those hypermodern dark hotels.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by fassy

Half the hotels I stay in now have clear glass windows (sometimes WALLS) from the bathrooms into the main room. Not a problem when you are traveling alone, but if your partner has to pee at 3AM you are BOTH awake once the lights go on...And as much as I love my wife, I have no desire to watch her pee. Not my kink...

Gotta love modern architects who don't understand real life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.