Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Old Jul 21, 22, 4:29 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I have done MMX-ARN-CPH-IAD back in 2016 - 500kr. cheaper per ticket vs direct
Youth tickets can be 1400-1600kr cheaper on routes to the US, standard tickets 800-1100kr. If you have the time and need the segments/miles, it isnt that bad of an option despite being a silly routing.

The lack of MMX-ARN flights makes many routings difficult.
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:32 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
What was the flying equivalent of fahrvergngen? MMX-ARN-CPH-ORD.

Don’t think even the air-loving SAS pilots would agree to fly that without a new agreement that is more like the EuroBonus of a bygone era.
My flights were mmx-arn-ord. If I remember correctly I got Y+ for almost the price of Y ex-cph. Plus the timing was a little better. But I have done way more convoluted itineraries than mmx-arn-cph-ord.
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:34 am

They stopped to ticket MMX-ARN-CPH-XXX some years ago... at least hard to ticket without some tricks. I have a difficult time to even ticket AGH-ARN-CPH-XXX nowadays, so often enough I bite the bullet and do GOT-CPH-XXX or drive to CPH.
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:35 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Well, certainly most major airports are not in the city limits. CPH, OSL, ARN.... all of them are a good distance from the city. Same for ZRH, VIE, MUC, FRA, LHR, CDG, FCO... There are only very few true inner-city airports... like LIN or LCY. Not even something like BOS would qualify for that.

For me, it means "Can I get from the airport terminal to the city center within 30+/- minutes". Ideally with a train/subway/metro. And then CPH, OSL, ARN, VIE, ZRH are named accordingly. Since, from CPH, I take the metro and I am downtown Copenhagen after 15-20 minutes. The Arlanda Express or the OSL Train (not talking about the ridiculous pricing of those) take me to downtown Stockholm or Oslo.

But when I book Copenhagen and got dropped off in the middle of nowhere in Skane, or book Vienna and end up in Bratislava... that is just messed up. (which btw IU also hate about Newark, which a lot of people sell as New York. And especially for Germans hard to phonetically understand that there is a difference between "newark" and "newyawk". Many many years ago, the first time I landed in EWR, I was kind of lost... what I am not in New York?

But well... you can also book Bordeaux and end up on Porto
Wizz air has shuttles from Copenhagen city centre to MMX, if there's shuttle like this I don't think it's a problem as long as the passenger has factored in the cost. When I went to Kista to fetch my EV I was considering flying as Ryanair has 167 SEK fare MMX-ARN. However, it would cost me $ to get to MMX and then either Flygbuss or Arlanda Express is not a cheap option. In the end it would end up 200kr than SK CPH-ARN. I decided to take an early morning train from Helsingborg which is about half of the cost and it gets me to Kista.
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:39 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Wizz air has shuttles from Copenhagen city centre to MMX, if there's shuttle like this I don't think it's a problem as long as the passenger has factored in the cost. When I went to Kista to fetch my EV I was considering flying as Ryanair has 167 SEK fare MMX-ARN. However, it would cost me $ to get to MMX and then either Flygbuss or Arlanda Express is not a cheap option. In the end it would end up 200kr than SK CPH-ARN. I decided to take an early morning train from Helsingborg which is about half of the cost and it gets me to Kista.
In my experience LCCs are rarely cheaper than legacy when all the extra costs are factored in. Include the cost of irritation and they are always more expensive
FlyingMoose and fassy like this.
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:45 am

Well, if you do not account/value your time....? The train from ARN to Kista costs around 180SEK and takes about 30 minutes. BMA to Kista, takes about the same but I find ARN more convenient to go to Kista. So, with a CPH-ARN flight and the train to Kista, you pay about 1.500kr, right?

If you go from Helsingr to Helsingborg (50 SEK), then take the train to Kista.... it costs at least 1.100kr for the ticket, you have to change twice (Hssleholm and Stockholm C) and that takes like... what.... 6 hours? To save 400kr? For at least 4 hours longer travel time? Not very convincing value proposition for me.
Old Jul 21, 22, 5:24 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
In my experience LCCs are rarely cheaper than legacy when all the extra costs are factored in. Include the cost of irritation and they are always more expensive
Agreed,
but what has happened is that their unbundling of "services" have made their base price seem very low and they are therefore selected via various search engines when a lot of people select cheapest only.
Old Jul 21, 22, 5:35 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer View Post
It was an example to disprove your work yourself into the ground or you wont be successful theory.
Was it though? Or does Elon get to enjoy a vacation on his yacht because he's reaped the benefits of working himself into the ground. I would recommend reading his emails to employees about expectations and work ethics. I never said working yourself into the ground should be without reward, in fact that is the whole point.

Thank you for answering your own "Do you really fly an airline based on the CEO?" and "Do you make any consumer decisions based on the CEO?" questions.
It was a reverse answer. I fly VS because I love their product and approach to running an airline. The CEO was just the cherry on top, he does contribute incredibly to the brand even at his age. I don't avoid airlines because I dislike their CEOs. My decisions is exclusively based on the product (including value analysis).

But when I book Copenhagen and got dropped off in the middle of nowhere in Skane, or book Vienna and end up in Bratislava... that is just messed up. (which btw IU also hate about Newark, which a lot of people sell as New York. And especially for Germans hard to phonetically understand that there is a difference between "newark" and "newyawk". Many many years ago, the first time I landed in EWR, I was kind of lost... what I am not in New York?
As much as I hate EWR, it does get you into Manhattan much faster than the journey you embark on landing at JFK.
Old Jul 21, 22, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The biggest misconception about the wealthiest around is that they all must have worked themselves hard and more into the ground than the average working stiff in order to become wealthy like that.

Musk has worked himself into the ground? ROTFLOL The guy continues to spend a huge amount of time trying to do things that increase the likelihood of increasing the population of Musks on the planet, and continues to have his head in the sky. Let’s just hope he’s not on course to working it like his father who has had one or two children with his own step-daughter who lived with him for years as a minor.

People do choose to avoid doing business with some companies based on the perceived negative actions of the CEO/brand-owner. There are some commercial and residential properties that even got renamed/reflagged because the affiliation with the name just didn’t fly well for profit-maximization.

Will I minimize my use of SAS because of a wannabe Machiavellian CEO and this strike? Not really, as it’s too inconvenient for me to avoid SAS when it’s operating the flights that work out for me.
ksu likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 22 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:56 pm

Well, if you do not account/value your time....? The train from ARN to Kista costs around 180SEK and takes about 30 minutes. BMA to Kista, takes about the same but I find ARN more convenient to go to Kista. So, with a CPH-ARN flight and the train to Kista, you pay about 1.500kr, right?

If you go from Helsingr to Helsingborg (50 SEK), then take the train to Kista.... it costs at least 1.100kr for the ticket, you have to change twice (Hssleholm and Stockholm C) and that takes like... what.... 6 hours? To save 400kr? For at least 4 hours longer travel time? Not very convincing value proposition for me.
It depends on the opportunity cost of the time. I had to be at Kista by noon on a Friday (needed to drive the car to 6000km before hitting the Danish border so I needed a weekend for that) to make sure I had time to handle the transaction at the car dealership (If I overnight in Stockholm that would add extra cost).

1. Mr. drove me to Helsingor, from my home it's a 20 minute vs to Kastrup 40 minutes drive, if I go to Kastrup I'd probably take a train that would add another 85DKK on top of the total cost. The ferry was 49DKK.
2. I have to be at the airport in a good time, and I need to fly at around 8:30am which means that we will hit the prime rush hour on motorway and train, which double the travel time
3. My train ticket from Helsingborg to Kista costs 622SEK - so I booked a train that left at 4.16 from Helsingborg, with 2 changes as you said. I slept on the X2000 from Hassleholm to Stockholm.
4. The flight ticket on that particular day with SK is 1100 DKK or Ryanair from MMX at 167 SEK.

My total was like 49DKK + gas and depreciation of my car 50km (25kmx2 as Mr needed to drive home) + 622SEK by train (another big plus was no need to go through airport security and had to pack my liquid into a bag etc.)
By air: Gas and depreciation 35km (to and from the nearest train station) + 85DKK ticket to Kastrup + 1100DKK flight ticket (there's so few miles earned so I wouldn't count that in) + 180 train ticket to Kista.

What did I gain by flying? 6h of sleep on my own bed instead of 4h on the X2000 train, and the saving is enough for a night at a hotel.

Basically I wasted the time at night so it wasn't a huge deal. Btw sleeping on a X2000 is a lot better than sleeping at YYZ (I did that recently thanked to SK).
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 22, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Calculations indeed should not only factor in the direct financial price and time but also related convenience factors that come with costs too.

Hope they pay you and then some for having to sleep at YYZ airport. I’ve been airside there for at least as long as almost c. 6 hours on some transits to/from CPH and even that was more than enough when tired.
Old Jul 22, 22, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Calculations indeed should not only factor in the direct financial price and time but also related convenience factors that come with costs too.

Hope they pay you and then some for having to sleep at YYZ airport. Ive been airside there for at least as long as almost c. 6 hours on some transits to/from CPH and even that was more than enough when tired.
I hope so too. It's simply wrong to change the name to the wrong booking and then hung up (the SK agent was actually talking to the MS operation manager at YYZ). The MS flight was leaving in 15 minutes and we had to move bags so that I was left with 2 pieces of check bags plus my belongings (I had to give the car and house keys to Mr and Mr had to give me the chargers and computers that I need to get myself home and my bag of clothes). Good that I had leftover food and my kid gave me a bottle of water to hang on.

The SK call centre girl (with a thick European accent) told me that's it MY FAULT not to cancel my MS ticket (how would I ever know I had to do that) and to find somewhere safe and find my way home on my own dime! I spent a whole night tried to route myself home in the cheapest mean as the cheapest cash ticket was at least CAD 1600 and I had to add on a bag on top of that since it's not *A. Fortunately, I had miles and Travel credit from UA so I was able to get myself out of YYZ. I thought there was a flight out of ORD the next day but then after 5 times it didn't go through. I had to call UA (I'm supposed to be UA S because of my T with Marriott - but it has never gone through) and got myself a ticket out of ORD 3 days later with LH (I could have left from YYZ but then it's with Aer Lingus so that's one check bag and hotel prices around YYZ is crazy and there was no car at YYZ with Avis). The UA agent said I could leave for Germany the next day but it's difficult to get a connection up to Scandinavia due to the SK strike, so I had to overnight around Frankfurt after I got there.

It took a whole night and after I got my tickets home sorted I rang SAS, this time a Scandinavian picked up the phone and he said someone put a remark "do not rebook" on my booking, so no one is allowed to rebook me! He said I could try to file a claim with SAS customer services.

So I spent 2 days in ORD, used the chance to see the city and walked around and had some Pho (that was disappointing as the one in Toronto was a 1000% times better), and did a bit of last minute shopping before flying home.

The name isn't an issue at all even when I was flying out of YYZ with UA (I did it with TK out of YVR in May), and the LH ORD back without a single issue. SK should have just rebooked us on TK, MS shouldn't be with *A.
Old Jul 22, 22, 8:21 am

Oh boy, that sounds like miserable fail from customer services.
Old Jul 22, 22, 8:41 am

Oh boy, that sounds like miserable fail from customer services.
Yes - and if they don't make this right I'd demand them to cancel my flight to HND in February (they changed the name on the reservation instead of YYZ to CPH and sent me 2 links to pay for the name change and hung up on me at YYZ!!!!!).
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:02 am

If you are in CPH area anyway at some point, drop by the ticket desk in CPH departure/arrivals hall. Had quite good experience there with a very helpful lady sorting out the mess SK did with a couple of reservations....
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread