Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Danish pilot union seems majority happy with the new agreement as quoted by dr.dk

(my own quick translation)
So SAS lost again, their tool with subsidiaries was contractually disarmed and we go back to going bankrupt.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
So SAS lost again, their tool with subsidiaries was contractually disarmed and we go back to going bankrupt.
They are not abandoning the structure for Link and Connect it seems, and the existing agreement for Link and Connect. Just no new ones for the next 5.5 years.....
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:05 am

I have a doubt, really where are the employees with such high salaries? because the average salary per employee in SAS is 105,000 euros anual gross, approximately 920,000 crowns per month (and the salary of a pilot goes from 45,000 to 1,100,000, and they do not represent more than 10% of the company, it means that the Average salaries are very high in all jobs, right?

Last edited by steve harrington; Jul 19, 2022 at 5:13 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by steve harrington
I have a doubt, really where are the employees with such high salaries? because the average salary per employee in SAS is 105,000 euros anual gross, approximately 920,000 crowns per month (and the salary of a pilot goes from 45,000 to 1,100,000, and they do not represent more than 10% of the company, it means that the Average salaries are very high in all jobs, right?
I am guessing you are looking at the total staff costs in the disclosed statements. That would cover more than what the employee see in their bank account. Social fees, pension contributions, employer insurance, and many other things comes in to that line.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:25 am

I know that Scandinavians keep telling themselves this but as someone who hasn't taken vacation in over 30 years, I can tell you that is not true. The main issue I have with it being a legal obligation is that it removes the employee's choice. Not taking vacation and working harder are great ways to put yourself ahead of the curve for promotions and raises which the government now makes impossible.
Yeah, this may be true if you are in the sort of low brain-power job where just sitting at your desk more allows you to claim better results. I can say that at least in fields where you are required to exercise significant brain-power the folks who spend the most time in the lab/office are not necessarily the most productive. They've either swallowed the "optics are more important than performance" koolaid, or just aren't clever enough to figure out how to do their job in less time.

I did my PhD at a top-tier lab in any Ivy League school. We had a post-doc who would work 20 hours a day, because they believed that it would get them ahead. Unsuprisingly their work was crap, because they were exhausted all the damn time.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:44 am

I know that Scandinavians keep telling themselves this but as someone who hasn't taken vacation in over 30 years, I can tell you that is not true. The main issue I have with it being a legal obligation is that it removes the employee's choice. Not taking vacation and working harder are great ways to put yourself ahead of the curve for promotions and raises which the government now makes impossible.

Yet the most successful people work 100 hours a week, successfully. If you tell yourself you need vacation, you're going to perform less.
Three questions which I am generally interested in; what's your nationality, line of work and what do you consider work?

Reason for asking:
I work in a high pressure environment where junior hours can be very long, but by and large they decrease over time. The ones who are older and have the "brains/ideas/strategy" tend to work fewer hours whilst if you are within a product line then you can work very long hours as you need to produce work. I don't find anyone working 100 hour weeks to be that useful in the end (and in fact can't remember last I met anyone who said they did work that), and whilst one person can do that (and remain peak) most simply cannot function. 100 hour works weeks is equivalent of 14+hrs per day, so realistically 17-18 hours on weekdays, with balance on weekends.

I know alot of 80 hours, week in, year out people, which works. Which leaves me to the last part; are you a lawyer and bill by the hour ;-) as I have found since moving back to Scandinavia, that surprisingly many (ie not the lawyers) consider checking e-mails and responding in the evening to be work; ie if they work for 5 minutes in the evening, somehow that translates into "I worked last night"-statements.

[side note: whilst Margaret Thatcher and several others who were infamous for sleeping 4 hours/night, the observation was made a few years ago that dementia and lack of sleep appears correlated].
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Three questions which I am generally interested in; what's your nationality, line of work and what do you consider work?
Multiple nationalities, work in CGI, I guess I consider work executing on whatever your goals that you were given by your employer are or performing tasks laid out in your job description or job guide? I also consider completing tasks that might be subject to commission work or meeting a production quota.

Reason for asking:
I work in a high pressure environment where junior hours can be very long, but by and large they decrease over time. The ones who are older and have the "brains/ideas/strategy" tend to work fewer hours whilst if you are within a product line then you can work very long hours as you need to produce work. I don't find anyone working 100 hour weeks to be that useful in the end (and in fact can't remember last I met anyone who said they did work that), and whilst one person can do that (and remain peak) most simply cannot function. 100 hour works weeks is equivalent of 14+hrs per day, so realistically 17-18 hours on weekdays, with balance on weekends.
I do reckon that the early years require more hours in various industries to gain seniority. People who work in strategy/idea functions typically need much greater performance management to make sure they do not ride a single idea for years to come, unless it was absolutely ground breaking or insanely profitable. I am fine with people having such ideas working less if those ideas manifest and catapult the success of a company and many other individuals. There are incredibly few of those people.

I know alot of 80 hours, week in, year out people, which works. Which leaves me to the last part; are you a lawyer and bill by the hour ;-) as I have found since moving back to Scandinavia, that surprisingly many (ie not the lawyers) consider checking e-mails and responding in the evening to be work; ie if they work for 5 minutes in the evening, somehow that translates into "I worked last night"-statements.
Not a lawyer but familiar with the type and problem. Checking messages/email is not work. Plenty of non-lawyers that work 80 hours week in year out people.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:50 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
[VG opinion about Anko van der Werff not understanding who he is even talking to and about - whether it concerns his own employees, or SAS's customers ]
Please, this was not a labor dispute, this was a company on the verge of bankruptcy trying to survive. The Norwegian media just continued the same tune they have been playing since the 1920s..
Seen from the shareholders point of view, in the very short term, perhaps. But what van der Werff doesn't understand is that verbally abusing your own employees is not a strategy that goes down well in Norway. He is a PR catastrophe for SAS in Norway, adding to the mess that the strike has created. Norway is a very important market for SAS. It could be that his style go down well with the shareholders, and certain Swedish circles, but losing more of the Norwegian market share could be more than SAS can handle.
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:13 pm

Do you really fly an airline based on the CEO? Do you make any consumer decisions based on the CEO? Especially when there are no equivalent alternatives? I can understand people not buying products or services based on the country of origin but not because of a company's CEO. I found previous CEOs of SAS much more laughable than Anko, specifically Matts Jansson but it never caused me not to fly with SAS when they were the most plausible option.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:40 pm

Multiple nationalities, work in CGI, I guess I consider work executing on whatever your goals that you were given by your employer are or performing tasks laid out in your job description or job guide? I also consider completing tasks that might be subject to commission work or meeting a production quota.

I do reckon that the early years require more hours in various industries to gain seniority. People who work in strategy/idea functions typically need much greater performance management to make sure they do not ride a single idea for years to come, unless it was absolutely ground breaking or insanely profitable. I am fine with people having such ideas working less if those ideas manifest and catapult the success of a company and many other individuals. There are incredibly few of those people.

Not a lawyer but familiar with the type and problem. Checking messages/email is not work. Plenty of non-lawyers that work 80 hours week in year out people.
Thanks for answering. The lawyer was in jest; as I meant several people (who don’t bill on 5 minutes of job for an hour) give me fairly often impression that working 5 min in evening is practically an hour…

CGI as in media?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Has the agreement prevented SAS from proceeding with the Chapter 11 scheme?

The very subsidiaries — which SAS created to lower its costs per revenue unit — are slated to grow.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: Various

I do, Sweden doesn't enforce this at all and employers while not obligated to generally pay out the unused holidays at the end of the year.
I wonder why i, and everyone I know, is asked when we're about to use our remaining vacation days then? The rule is there to prevent managers with your mindset to set the tone.
poshul likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
CGI as in media?
I’d bet more like CGI as in competitor to Accenture, Capgemini, Cognizant, Infosys, Oracle, Cisco, IBM…
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I know that Scandinavians keep telling themselves this but as someone who hasn't taken vacation in over 30 years, I can tell you that is not true. Not taking vacation and working harder are great ways to put yourself ahead of the curve for promotions and raises which the government now makes impossible.
[…]
Yet the most successful people work 100 hours a week, successfully. If you tell yourself you need vacation, you're going to perform less.
I guess you need to tell Elon Musk that he needs to stop taking vacations to become successful and perform better. 🤣🤣🤣

Shirtless Elon Musk vacations in Mykonos on luxury yacht

Oooops, so much for your “work yourself into the ground or you won’t be successful” theories… 😂😂😂
the810 likes this.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Jul 19, 2022 at 2:23 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Do you really fly an airline based on the CEO? Do you make any consumer decisions based on the CEO? Especially when there are no equivalent alternatives? I can understand people not buying products or services based on the country of origin but not because of a company's CEO.
I will once again refer you to WizzAir's attempt to enter Norwegian market. Yes, local customers do care about how companies treat their employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.