Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Old Jul 18, 22, 1:01 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Any details on the terms the pilots are getting to deal with being moved into SAS Connect or whatever?
I haven't seen any yet. I suppose it will be a compromise that neither side is happy with...
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fredrik74 View Post
I haven't seen any yet. I suppose it will be a compromise that neither side is happy with...
Which may mean the can has been kicked a bit further down but the kick-the-can game could be replayed yet again.

It would be ironic if SAS management were to end up with a lot of the striking pilots being part of the SAS Connect union and then seeing SAS Connect pilots go on strike too.
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:17 pm

I thought you lived in Sweden?
Strike or no strike, Americans fly out of Sweden faster than American complaints about matters in Sweden get out of a holding pattern. A landing back in Sweden is upcoming again.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 18, 22 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
I think many of the customers will be happy to actually be able to fly over the next couple of months. After that we'll have to see if there still is a SAS, which is far from certain, and much less likely now than before the pilot strike.
Without knowing anything about which agreement they've stuck I think you're right that most of the pilots won't be happy. From what I've seen, it's simply not possible to make the more senior SAS pilots happy and still run a company.
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tomas E View Post
I think many of the customers will be happy to actually be able to fly over the next couple of months.
The customers aren’t a party to the agreement/compromise. We are just human cargo business for the employer and employees In this business relationship to get paid for transporting us.
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:29 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
The info box at the end of the page is acutally quite interessting:

Google Translate:

So, that is actually something where I can understand why the pilots are mad.... Maybe the agreement wasn't the smartest thing to do in the first place, and probably badly executed, otherwise they wouldn't need to fight over it now. But still, if SAS really sneaked out of their commitment this way, that is really mean and poor management style which deserves some punishment.

But on the other hand, the infobox is incomplete. Since they also strike for more money and benefits. As always in todays news world, everything gets framed to bias the readers opinion instead of putting down just the facts... all of them.
The strike is now over, so it will interesting to see what they actually agreed upon. However they apparently did NOT strike for "more money and benefits". They had early om accepted worse/more working hours, and less money (5% cut).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:37 pm
ksu

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The customers arent a party to the agreement/compromise. We are just human cargo business for the employer and employees In this business relationship to get paid for transporting us.
And just as disrespected by the CEO of SAS.

The largest Norwegian newspaper comments in their leader article about him:
"SAS-toppsjef Anko Van der Werff har ikke gjort situasjonen enklere med sin oppfrsel. Vi har sjelden sett en mer umusikalsk leder under en arbeidskonflikt. Han synes ikke ha forsttt hvem han snakker til og med - enten det gjelder hans egne ansatte, eller SAS sine kunder"

SAS CEO Anko Van der Werff has not made the situation any easier with his behavior. We have rarely seen a more unmusical leader during a labor dispute. He does not seem to have understood who he is even talking to and about - whether it concerns his own employees, or SAS's customers "

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/meninger/i/dn6dO1/endelig
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ksu View Post

"SAS-toppsjef Anko Van der Werff har ikke gjort situasjonen enklere med sin oppfrsel. Vi har sjelden sett en mer umusikalsk leder under en arbeidskonflikt. Han synes ikke ha forsttt hvem han snakker til og med - enten det gjelder hans egne ansatte, eller SAS sine kunder"

SAS CEO Anko Van der Werff has not made the situation any easier with his behavior. We have rarely seen a more unmusical leader during a labor dispute. He does not seem to have understood who he is even talking to and about - whether it concerns his own employees, or SAS's customers "

Doesn’t surprise me.

SAS management were indeed not clueless that their actions were to provoke a strike when it did, and yet they didn’t seem to care to even ramp up their reservations handling capacity in anticipation of the subjected masses being grounded by a strike. Unfortunately, it is business as usual for SAS management to not have customer service as a priority. I have too frequent reminders that this is the airline that even wanted to charge for glasses of water and only backed down from charging for coffee and tea after realizing they had come across as being more Ryanair than Ryanair in an image-conscious market where SAS still wanted the dividends of being seen as being more for the villa, Volvo, vovve crowd than for the Rosengard-Rinkeby ground transport crowd.

It’s despite the actions of SAS management that SAS service has even been at the level it is. If anything, it’s clear to me that as a customer I get more respect from the airline employees on average than from the management with its never-ending cost-cutting shake-down.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 18, 22 at 2:03 pm
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Out of curiosity, does VG count as a tabloid?
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:01 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus

When I've checked typical news articles, and pilot union comments, it's interesting to notice that they stack up in the order Sweden - Denmark - Norway in terms of increasing sympathy for the pilots and for a strike as such. AFAIK there has been zero expressions of sympathy for the pilots from other Swedish unions (possibly because the Swedish pilot union is not part of any central organisation and never has coordinated with any other Swedish union). And while Swedish media has let youtuber BjornPilot (sacked by SAS last year) explain why the pilots are striking and SAS' management is to blame, their own reporters have mostly focused on the customers' situation and the problematic situation for the company from a financial point of view.
So there seems to be a bit of difference between the three countries in the attitude of the public and the media. Let's see what this means for the future, if there is one for SAS.
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:05 pm

The Swedish mass media taken as an accurate representative of actual public attitudes in Sweden? Not for quite some time. And about this strike? Seems to me most Swedes on average don’t fly this summer and wouldn’t even if not for this strike. Some probably loved getting a refund as inflation and higher interest rates are already having an impact on the VVV Svenssons’ financial health.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Expressen-level. They are used for open source monitoring by embassy folk around town there too. It’s not at National Enquirer level of “Alien had sex with Elvis, see page ten for photos of child”.
ksu likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 18, 22 at 2:14 pm
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
dr.dk seems to have more details on what is in the agreed package.

5 years agreement, SAS Link and SAS Connect will join SAS Pilot Group on collective agreement. Meaning that fired pilots can now be rehired back to those companies I guess.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/sas-...hed-erfarer-dr
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:20 pm

dr.dk seems to have more details on what is in the agreed package.

5 years agreement, SAS Link and SAS Connect will join SAS Pilot Group on collective agreement. Meaning that fired pilots can now be rehired back to those companies I guess.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/sas-...hed-erfarer-dr
Next time there is a strike potentially looming then SAS will have at risk even more than 2/3 of its flights, as a collective strike would then cover even a larger proportion of the airline’s pilots?

The mainline pilots who went on strike could be a potential Trojan Horse that leads to wider pilot opposition to SAS management’s games.
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:25 pm
ksu

Certainly!

(But reliable in news coverage, mainstream political and less fixated on sex than the main competitor, Dagbladet)
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Certainly!

(But reliable in news coverage, mainstream political and less fixated on sex than the main competitor, Dagbladet)
But more than just hyperbolic in their editorials....

Search this Thread