Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Air - Delta, SAS, JetBlue, Icelandair, Hotel - Radisson Platinum
Here we go again - could this be round 2 of cancelled flights due to pilot stoppage?

Amazing - couple of my team just purchased tickets for a business trip to ARN at the end of APR.
Last time I had used SAS was also during the last pilot strike/work slow down and I had to change flights to another airline at the last minute.
Too bad - we picked the SAS flights as they now have the new A321LR on the BOS-CPH route with easy connections onto ARN.
I was also planning on bidding on an upgrade to burn up a stack of expiring Eurobonus points.

For those who have posted about this from the Danish and Swedish news sites - please continue to do that as the information that would be in the USA news sites is minimal to none.

Last edited by plan200; Apr 4, 2022 at 6:19 pm Reason: type
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Just did a quick scan on the usual suspects for reporting on this, seems very quiet. At least neither side has started a war in the media....
Old May 6, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
SAS continues to be in trouble.

https://www.berlingske.dk/virksomhed...e-virksomheden
Old May 8, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: Air - Delta, SAS, JetBlue, Icelandair, Hotel - Radisson Platinum
Our flights via BOS-CPH-ARN were completed with no issues

Update - Myself and 2 others of our co-workers used the BOS-CPH-ARN flights these past 2 weeks.
We all had no issues, other than significant check in and security delays at ARN (a know issue that is highlighted on the ARN website).

I have to say - this flight combination was one of the best I have had for getting to ARN from BOS.
I found the SAS flight crew on our flights to be pleasant and helpful - it helped that the BOS-CPH and CPH-BOS flights were only about 60% capacity.
The SAS flight crew on the CPH-ARN and ARN-CPH flights were ok as the flights were 100% filled.
While the BOS-CPH/CPH-BOS aircraft is a single aisle (A321LR) - it is one of the new aircrafts with the latest premium economy section.
We were allowed to purchase premium economy seating on this trip.
Based on co-workers sitting in both the bulkhead row and either of the 2 rows behind - our preference is the bulkhead.
I will write a more detailed flight review of the BOS-CPH/CPH-BOS flights in a couple days where I did bid on using most of my expiring points for an upgrade on the BOS-CPH segment.

Based on this flight combination and experience - I would on my next trip to ARN - look for this as my first choice to book.
Hopefully SAS management and employees can sort out their issues - if not and SAS disappears this will significantly limit ones choices of getting to ARN from the States.
Thanks -
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The strike notice have been sent. The pilot unions in Denmark, Norway, and Sweden has sent the same strike notice for June 24th.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/ny-s...arsler-strejke

In Danish, but Google is your friend.....
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
DR say the strike would start 24 June 2022, but SVT say 29 June.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
DR say the strike would start 24 June 2022, but SVT say 29 June.
NRK says 29 so either it's different in the three countries or DR are wrong.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:10 am

Maybe I won’t miss the family fun celebrating a toddler’s birthday after all!

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/sas-piloter-truer-med-strejke-midt-i-kaempe-krise-saadan-staar-du-hvis-du-har-koebt
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/business/2022-06-09-omkring-1000-piloter-varsler-strejke-det-her-rammer-sas-rigtig-rigtig-rigtig

Last edited by vanillabean; Jun 9, 2022 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I hope SK stands ground and doesn't give in on the pilots demands. It seems only a portion of the pilots are left with this union and SK can continue to run subcontracted flights and pilots in other entities. I applaud the restructuring work that's been done there to mitigate the unions and finally coming to fruition from SK leadership. Something positive for a change!

I wonder how the finances of this union look like and how long they can fund a strike.
nacho likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: SK*Gold
A strike now could very well send SK into bankruptcy. And if they are unhappy with SK, they should be able to find another job with the shortage of pilots now with other airlines.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If they do go on strike, anyone knows how long approximately it will last? We are going on a family trip to the US and Canada and we will depart before the strike starts (if there is one) and home around 3 weeks time. I'm thinking if I need to buy up some hotel points so that we can have somewhere to stay in case we get stuck.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
If they do go on strike, anyone knows how long approximately it will last? We are going on a family trip to the US and Canada and we will depart before the strike starts (if there is one) and home around 3 weeks time. I'm thinking if I need to buy up some hotel points so that we can have somewhere to stay in case we get stuck.
It is rarely long lasting. A week, two at the maximum I'd say.

It is rarely a good deal to buy points for longer stays. But anyway duty of care and a good travel insurance should keep you covered.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I imagine there might be some catching up to do.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

It is rarely a good deal to buy points for longer stays. But anyway duty of care and a good travel insurance should keep you covered.
It really depends on whether they count the strike as Force Majeure or not, if they do I doubt my travel insurance will cover (I have both from card and bought).

I know buying points might not be an optimal but we have used quite some points already and Marriott has a 45% bonus on their points which in some cases might make sense. We travel with our 3 teenagers so with one room our choice is limited, and if we know we are going to be stuck before heading back to Canada, at least there are a handful of Springhill suites at around 10-15k a night which can fit all of us in without any issues.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I imagine there might be some catching up to do.
I have a confirmed reservation SK can't give our seats away to others.

Last edited by nacho; Jun 11, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
It really depends on whether they count the strike as Force Majeure or not, if they do I doubt my travel insurance will cover (I have both from card and bought).

I know buying points might not be an optimal but we have used quite some points already and Marriott has a 45% bonus on their points which in some cases might make sense. We travel with our 3 teenagers so with one room our choice is limited, and if we know we are going to be stuck before heading back to Canada, at least there are a handful of Springhill suites at around 10-15k a night which can fit all of us in without any issues.

I have a confirmed reservation SK can't give our seats away to others.
​​​​​​Duty of care applies for force majeure as well. Compensation does not.
The insurance might need to have some terms studied, but the trip delay/interruption is usually pretty broad.
GUWonder and nacho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.